Have you read any good books lately?

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2020, 07:21 AM

A good escape...Dared to Run, "Kate Anderson, a young parole officer, discovers an underground network helping women escape abusive men when she is stalked by a politically-connected deputy sheriff. When the sheriff is killed, Kate is accused of the crime. Rather than face a possible murder charge, she goes on the run, determined to prove her innocence. ...Take a high-tension ride with Kate. Can she unravel the crime? Can she find the real killer? ..."

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 04-02-2020, 09:09 AM

I’ve read Paula’s book and attended one of her speaking engagements. She worked very hard to capture the scenes of the 60’s. A piece of U.S. History—on the page. Support local villages authors! Paula Stone Tucker’s book available on Amazon and Sunbury Press.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:56 PM

If you have never read the entire Bible, start with the book of John. It is the world’s number one selling book & has been for all time. I am on my 25th time through it. My father started me reading it every day and have done so for over 50 years.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:23 AM

From my friend, Barb Rein, who is a local Villages author. She writes eerie/macabre short stories and is working on putting an anthology together. All of the books she mentions are available on Amazon.com, some free for the next month.

“Reading gives us a place to go when we have to stay where we are.” Mason Cooley

The coronavirus has us trapped in our homes wishing we could be somewhere else. Your ride is here. Pick up a book and be transported. The creativity of local authors flourishes in our community. Here are a few recommendations, available on Amazon:

Ripple Effect, Because of the War by Jenny Ferns
Veronica's husband is called to war. Her sister disappears in war-torn London. The decision to adopt the child her sister left behind causes far-reaching ripples when they both return, demanding more of Veronica than she can give.

Coach in Cottage C by J. R. Minard and R. R. Imregi
Matt Grazi was in over his head. The first-time coach was charged with building a sports team with the young inmates at a Florida reform school. Could he change the life of the toughest kid there?

Dared to Run: A Kate Anderson Mystery by J. J. Clark
When Kate Anderson, a young parole officer, is falsely accused of murdering the sheriff who'd been stalking her, she discovers an underground network for abused women. With their help, Kate goes on the run, determined to prove her innocence.

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 04-08-2020, 09:20 AM
Veteran member

Some light reading. The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window and Disappeared.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:59 AM
Sage

Undaunted Courage, by Stephen E. Ambrose.

A wonderful book about the Lewis and Clark expedition.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts
Thumbs up "The Pioneers" by David McCullough.

David McCullough’s The Pioneers, reviewed.

Very good book about very early settlers and the development of science and higher education.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmillard11 View Post
I loved The Only Woman in the Room-the story of Hedy Lamarr

Loving Frank - Story of Frank Lloyd Wright and his mistress

The Atomic City Girls

The Sweetness of Forgetting isn’t exactly historical fiction but similar and a good read.
The Girl With The Louding Voice. One of Jennas picks. Excellent read.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:42 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

The Address by Fiona Davis

A novel about The Dakota and the lives entwined with NYC’s most famous address
Old 04-08-2020, 03:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
David McCullough’s The Pioneers, reviewed.

Very good book about very early settlers and the development of science and higher education.
Yes I recommended The Pioneers by McCullough too, a must read if you are from Ohio.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:08 PM

Where the Crawdads sing was very good. Just finished Tattooist of Auschwitz. Very good. If you really want to get in heavy with a book try reading MILA 18. BIG BOOK. EXCELLENT. Non fiction historical.I read a lot of WWII books. In between the heavy duty books, I like to read a lighter story. I usually go to a Mitch Albon book. Another Great book was A thousand splendid suns. Same author as the Kite Runner.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barborv View Post
Where the Crawdads sing was very good. Just finished Tattooist of Auschwitz. Very good. If you really want to get in heavy with a book try reading MILA 18. BIG BOOK. EXCELLENT. Non fiction historical.I read a lot of WWII books. In between the heavy duty books, I like to read a lighter story. I usually go to a Mitch Albon book. Another Great book was A thousand splendid suns. Same author as the Kite Runner.

Mila 18--read that years and years ago. Also, The Wall (Hershey), the inspiring story of forty men and women who escape the dehumanizing horror of the Warsaw ghetto. And of course, Exodus by Leon Uris.

Right now I'm reading Whatever Happened to Raoul Wallenburg, by Morris Wolff about a man who went to Budapest to help the Jews and was arrested and detained by the Russians.

Then there was Schindler's List. I had to read that in chunks, taking breaks.

On another hardship subject, Searching for Tamsen Donner, by Gabrielle Burton.

Hosseini (Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns) has another book out, And the Mountains Echoed. That's up for me next.

If you like WWII books, I suggest Those Who Save Us, by Jenna Blum. It's fiction.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:51 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

The End of October by Lawrence Wright

This book is brand new, released on April 28, 2020. The author started writing it in 2017 and turned in his final draft in summer 2019. These dates are eerie because the book is about a global pandemic.

The End of October is a thriller, a novel, with virus research behind it. Wright has won a Pulitzer for his non-fiction but this one is in the fiction category — or is it really? Now?

Confession: I did not read this book because I knew it would be scary, actually maybe terrifying, because of its timing and detail. I bought it for Mr. Boomer who read it cover-to-cover, fast.

Last edited by Boomer; 05-05-2020 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-05-2020, 08:57 AM

I love Dick Francis as well. I think I’ve read them all
Old 05-05-2020, 09:39 AM
Platinum member

Hosseini (Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns) has another book out, And the Mountains Echoed. That's up for me next.

I have found some good reads thanks to this thread, including Mistress of the Ritz. I noted several recommendations for Hosseini's new book. His daughter and my granddaughter are best friends so I think I need to put this on my list.

Tags
read, book, larson, vanderbilt, story

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.