Favorite Steven Spielberg movie?

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2023, 04:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Probably a bad thing to say by a foreigner, but I thought Lincoln was dark, slow and pretty boring.
If there had been an intermission, I would not have come back for second half.
JMHO.
Old 12-20-2023, 11:40 AM

My favorite 3 are Close Encounters, E.T., and Always. I also enjoyed Catch Me If You Can and The Terminal.

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 12-20-2023, 01:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Probably a bad thing to say by a foreigner, but I thought Lincoln was dark, slow and pretty boring.
If there had been an intermission, I would not have come back for second half.
JMHO.
I can understand that. Not saying that you don't, but having a pretty broad knowledge of the political winds and system at the time, together with the personalities involved both in Washington and in the field with the Civil War going on, was IMO pretty essential to both understanding and enjoying the movie. The movie touched on some of it but it could reach nothing like a complete description in the time allotted. I would think that most folks not raised in America and schooled in American schools would have a reaction similar to yours.

Credit where credit is due...Spielberg is a fantastic director, but the heart and soul of that movie was Daniel Day-Lewis. I recall reading a review that Lewis didn't play Lincoln, he CHANNELED Lincoln. The research that that man puts into preparing for a role is nothing short of phenomenal: in the case of "Lincoln" that meant not only never breaking character while it was filming but doing extensive research not only on Lincoln's mannerisms and humor but even the timbre and cadence of Lincoln's speech. No recordings (naturally) exist of Lincoln's voice but apparently Day-Lewis went so far as even changing the pitch of his voice to match Lincoln's, who apparently spoke with a rather high-pitched voice.
Old 12-20-2023, 01:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I can understand that. Not saying that you don't, but having a pretty broad knowledge of the political winds and system at the time, together with the personalities involved both in Washington and in the field with the Civil War going on, was IMO pretty essential to both understanding and enjoying the movie. The movie touched on some of it but it could reach nothing like a complete description in the time allotted. I would think that most folks not raised in America and schooled in American schools would have a reaction similar to yours.

Credit where credit is due...Spielberg is a fantastic director, but the heart and soul of that movie was Daniel Day-Lewis. I recall reading a review that Lewis didn't play Lincoln, he CHANNELED Lincoln. The research that that man puts into preparing for a role is nothing short of phenomenal: in the case of "Lincoln" that meant not only never breaking character while it was filming but doing extensive research not only on Lincoln's mannerisms and humor but even the timbre and cadence of Lincoln's speech. No recordings (naturally) exist of Lincoln's voice but apparently Day-Lewis went so far as even changing the pitch of his voice to match Lincoln's, who apparently spoke with a rather high-pitched voice.
Good explanation.
Similar to many Americans who watch Crown, and think it is absolute fact.
I have yet to meet anyone who does not cringe at the mention of it, and there is no Daniel Day Lewis to save it either!
Old 12-20-2023, 04:53 PM
Default The Best

E.T. is a wonderful movie for everyone.
Schindler's List is so excellent and heartbreaking and unforgettable.
Old 12-21-2023, 05:05 PM

Schindler's List
E.T
Jaws
Closed Thread

Tags
favorite, movie, steven, spielberg, jaws

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.