Rotten Tomatoes "10 Best Westerns".

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2023, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,347 Times in 2,069 Posts

Recall that one of my Earl Wooster High School history teachers taught Native American History and took us to three Westerns on different dates at a local domed theater. This was in Reno, Nevada.

These three were -- A Man Called Horse and Little Big Man and Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here - Rotten Tomatoes. These all were quite good and thought provoking.

Most of the class members were Paiutes, Shoshone or Washoe off of a local reservation or people who had moved off of it for whatever reason. Reno-Sparks Indian Colony | Three Tribes, One Nation.

Think I gave a speech on the Fetterman Massacre for my oral project. Fetterman Fight - Wikipedia

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-22-2023 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-22-2023, 08:49 PM

Best westerns- here is my list : Evil Roy Slade, ( best ever comedic western ever); Silverado ( great western that has it all, young Kevin Kostner doing his own stunts); They Call Me Trinity ( spoof of Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns, we’ll done tongue in cheek); Unforgiven ( Clint Eastwood and Gene Hackman at their best) Magnificent Seven ( hard to beat); Big Hand for the Little Lady ( Barbara Stanwick surprises all). Destry Rides Again ( worth watching just to catch Marleena Dietrich singing “Boys in the Backroom”); Outlaw Josie Whales ( one of Clint’s best) ; The Wild Bunch ( great Sam Peckenpaw direction), and last but not least Evil Roy Slade again ( I just love that movie)
Old 04-22-2023, 08:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
https://collider.com/best-western-mo...tten-tomatoes/

What movies would be in your best Westerns of all time?

I audited two classes from University of Nevada, Reno (UNR) movie critic and Professor Howard Rosenberg back in the early 1980s after I had earned two BAs from UNR. One of these was on Westerns.
One of my favorites (I forget the name) involved Johnny Depp as an Eastern accountant that wanted to take a job out West. He rides a train westward. At each stop the passengers get increasingly more "rough and tumble". When he gets to the western town, the job is taken. So, confused and alone he goes to a hotel for a drink and a room. He meets a woman and they end up in bed. Then her ex comes in to shoot her or her and Depp. Somehow Depp gets his gun, they wrestle and the gun goes off.
.....Now Depp is a murderer and he ends up fleeing from the law. In some woods, he meets up with a Native American that just happens to speak English. The Native American tries to remove a bullet near Depp's heart
........The movie continues with the 2 of them becoming UNLIKELY friends. They have some good adventures and then there is a good and realistic ending.
........Personally, I would place this in my top ten. I was NEVER A FAN of John Wayne movies because the movies were old and predictable. I like the Good, Bad, and Ugly just because the American Western movies were so BLAND. But, I would never make the spaghetti westerns #1. Maybe about somewhere between 5 and 7. Surely, there MUST be a better choice for #1 ?
Old 04-22-2023, 08:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy o View Post
Best westerns- here is my list : Evil Roy Slade, ( best ever comedic western ever); Silverado ( great western that has it all, young Kevin Kostner doing his own stunts); They Call Me Trinity ( spoof of Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns, we’ll done tongue in cheek); Unforgiven ( Clint Eastwood and Gene Hackman at their best) Magnificent Seven ( hard to beat); Big Hand for the Little Lady ( Barbara Stanwick surprises all). Destry Rides Again ( worth watching just to catch Marleena Dietrich singing “Boys in the Backroom”); Outlaw Josie Whales ( one of Clint’s best) ; The Wild Bunch ( great Sam Peckenpaw direction), and last but not least Evil Roy Slade again ( I just love that movie)
Josie Whales was good.
Old 04-22-2023, 09:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Recall that one of my Earl Wooster High School history teachers taught Native American History and took us to three Westerns on different dates at a local domed theater. This was in Reno, Nevada.

These three were -- A Man Called Horse and Little Big Man and Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here - Rotten Tomatoes. These all were quite good and thought provoking.

Most of the class members were Paiutes, Shoshone or Washoe off of a local reservation or people who had moved off of it for whatever reason. Reno-Sparks Indian Colony | Three Tribes, One Nation.

Think I gave a speech on the Fetterman Massacre for my oral project. Fetterman Fight - Wikipedia
Little Big Man......that would be a good #1
Old 04-22-2023, 09:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorp View Post
Unforgiven and How The West Was Won, maybe Hombre.
How the West Was Won was quite good.
Old 04-22-2023, 09:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtmcgee View Post
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. From top to bottom, easily had the best "western" cast of all time.
Liberty Valance should be in the top ten.
Old 04-22-2023, 09:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
The Searchers
Magnificent Seven
Rio Bravo
High Noon
Outlaw Josey Wales
Shane
Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Winchester ‘73
Gunfighter
Stagecoach
Ya all have forgotten about another great classic western - the 2007 3:10 to Yuma..........absolute perfection of action and acting. Complete with a well-trained horse. Now THAT was a western movie !!!!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2023, 09:28 PM
Sage

I saw that Johnny Depp movie, too.
Dead Man - Rotten Tomatoes

I found it very odd though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
One of my favorites (I forget the name) involved Johnny Depp as an Eastern accountant that wanted to take a job out West. He rides a train westward. At each stop the passengers get increasingly more "rough and tumble". When he gets to the western town, the job is taken. So, confused and alone he goes to a hotel for a drink and a room. He meets a woman and they end up in bed. Then her ex comes in to shoot her or her and Depp. Somehow Depp gets his gun, they wrestle and the gun goes off.
.....Now Depp is a murderer and he ends up fleeing from the law. In some woods, he meets up with a Native American that just happens to speak English. The Native American tries to remove a bullet near Depp's heart
........The movie continues with the 2 of them becoming UNLIKELY friends. They have some good adventures and then there is a good and realistic ending.
........Personally, I would place this in my top ten. I was NEVER A FAN of John Wayne movies because the movies were old and predictable. I like the Good, Bad, and Ugly just because the American Western movies were so BLAND. But, I would never make the spaghetti westerns #1. Maybe about somewhere between 5 and 7. Surely, there MUST be a better choice for #1 ?
Old 04-22-2023, 09:45 PM
Sage
Default McCabe and Mrs. Miller. (1971)

McCabe & Mrs. Miller - Rotten Tomatoes

I found this one very different than your usual Western. Keith Carradine - Rotten Tomatoes
Old 04-23-2023, 05:01 AM
Platinum member
Default Great cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuadog View Post
jack elam, one of the three, was a favorite character actor of mine.
of course
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2023-04-23-05-58-48-19_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	98046  
Old 04-23-2023, 08:56 AM

One of the best lines ever in a movie

"That's bold talk for a one eyed fat man"

Best Wayne western
Old 04-23-2023, 09:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
I saw that Johnny Depp movie, too.
Dead Man - Rotten Tomatoes

I found it very odd though.
That's what I liked about it. It was a TOTALLY different kind of Western. The acting was great and the plot was never predictable. The audience in the Rotten Tomatoes ratings gave it an 88% while the critics gave it a miserable 70%. But, if you look closely, some critics hated it, but some LOVED it and practically drooled over it.
.......I have forgotten 90% of all movies with John Wayne in them. I VAGUELY remember one movie when he was older and it involved some young girl that he helped out. So, you can see he did NOT leave an impression on me.
......There was a somewhat good movie where another big actor from that era was drunk all the time, but had to sober up to kill his twin brother. He played both roles. I forget its name.
........So, it can be seen that I have not been too impressed with most Western movies. Yet I remember well "Dead Man" with Johnny Depp. And also the spaghetti westerns. And the newest 3:10 to Yuma.
Old 04-23-2023, 09:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
McCabe & Mrs. Miller - Rotten Tomatoes

I found this one very different than your usual Western. Keith Carradine - Rotten Tomatoes
I don't believe that I have seen that movie. But, anything with Warren Beatty is worth watching like his giants - "Bonny and Clyde" and "REDS".
Old 04-23-2023, 10:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
That's what I liked about it. It was a TOTALLY different kind of Western. The acting was great and the plot was never predictable. The audience in the Rotten Tomatoes ratings gave it an 88% while the critics gave it a miserable 70%. But, if you look closely, some critics hated it, but some LOVED it and practically drooled over it.
.......I have forgotten 90% of all movies with John Wayne in them. I VAGUELY remember one movie when he was older and it involved some young girl that he helped out. So, you can see he did NOT leave an impression on me.
......There was a somewhat good movie where another big actor from that era was drunk all the time, but had to sober up to kill his twin brother. He played both roles. I forget its name.
........So, it can be seen that I have not been too impressed with most Western movies. Yet I remember well "Dead Man" with Johnny Depp. And also the spaghetti westerns. And the newest 3:10 to Yuma.
Stagecoach is on a lot of people's Top Ten Western list. It stars John Wayne.
Closed Thread

Tags
westerns, unr, bas, earned, 1980s

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.