Rolling Stone and Stevie Wonder

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2013, 05:48 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Well my first reaction to Stevie wonder's comments was that he put himself in an untenable position. If he is going to boycott Florida until the Standing Your Ground law is reversed then he has some other 30 states that contain the same or similar laws that he might also want to boycott.

As to the entertainment industry as a whole it has been my view for years to just turn these people off. I mean what self thinking individual would take seriously the political views of Sean Penn, Whoopi Goldberg or Bill Maher.

I am also tired of the Hollywood political propaganda being spread via movies television shows etc. I don't want a message I want to be entertained. Even in that they are failing because they descend lower and lower into the cesspool So my viewing continues to be seriously curtailed
Old 07-18-2013, 06:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,513 Times in 1,912 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Well my first reaction to Stevie wonder's comments was that he put himself in an untenable position. If he is going to boycott Florida until the Standing Your Ground law is reversed then he has some other 30 states that contain the same or similar laws that he might also want to boycott.

As to the entertainment industry as a whole it has been my view for years to just turn these people off. I mean what self thinking individual would take seriously the political views of Sean Penn, Whoopi Goldberg or Bill Maher.

I am also tired of the Hollywood political propaganda being spread via movies television shows etc. I don't want a message I want to be entertained. Even in that they are failing because they descend lower and lower into the cesspool So my viewing continues to be seriously curtailed

Well said.

And like Chris, neither would lose any bucks from me so it doesn't matter.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post

He said he will not perform in any state that has Stand Your Ground law, not just Florida.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Location: Living in the Villages after 26 years on the Upper Westside of Manhattan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
He said he will not perform in any state that has Stand Your Ground law, not just Florida.
I admire his sacrifice and his conviction. I am more likely to support Stevie Wonder now more than ever! As for Bruce Springsteen, singer songwriters have long used their craft to move people to deeper understanding. We are a better society because of our folk singers!

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2
formerly of Manhattan and weekends on the Jersey Shore--now living the dream in Caroline!
Old 07-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Platinum member

I'm waiting to see where the Kardashian's stand on this.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachacha View Post
is anyone else tired of some in the entertainment industry using their fans to propagate their radical views? seeing a "glam" shot of the boston bomber on the cover of Rolling Stone was a disgrace. And as for Stevie Wonder, if he wants to boycott Florida, i say farewell and God speed. i hope no floridian buys another of his songs! people who have success paid for by people of all ideologies should keep their radical views to themselves.
I am sooo tired of it as well. What's strange is how some advant garde elements of our society just seem to hate or despise it. I've never understood that but attribute it to some level of insecurity or guilt?. The entertainers make big bucks and live a wealthy life style, then go radical chic and trash the society that makes that possible.

Last edited by Moderator; 07-18-2013 at 04:03 PM. Reason: edited out political comment
Old 07-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Gold member

Couldn't care less if they ever perform in Florida or anywhere else for that matter.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachacha View Post
is anyone else tired of some in the entertainment industry using their fans to propagate their radical views? seeing a "glam" shot of the boston bomber on the cover of Rolling Stone was a disgrace. And as for Stevie Wonder, if he wants to boycott Florida, i say farewell and God speed. i hope no floridian buys another of his songs! people who have success paid for by people of all ideologies should keep their radical views to themselves.

Stevie will never see me by another CD.
I Wonder what he'll say bout that?

"DON'T YOU WORRY 'BOUT A THING"
Old 07-18-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
Me too, Patty! Hope they don't they don't have something negative to say about Florida!
Old 07-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Sage

It's quite ignorant to disrespect a jury decision.

Here's a good example:

In Defense of the Jury System; and My Twitter Talk With Richard Dreyfuss | Greta Van Susteren
Old 07-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
It's quite ignorant to disrespect a jury decision.

Here's a good example:

In Defense of the Jury System; and My Twitter Talk With Richard Dreyfuss | Greta Van Susteren

Stevie Wonder's boycott of Florida has nothing to do with a jury decision. If you read correctly, you would find that he is boycotting all states that have a "stand your ground" law.

The Rolling Stone Magazine cover has nothing whatsoever to do with a jury decision.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
Whoppi Goldberg Sean Penn Georg Clooney and Charlie Sheen too
Old 07-20-2013, 03:44 PM
Platinum member

I'm waiting to see about Norman Lee and Rocky & the Rollers.

That which does not destroy you, makes you stronger- Nietzsche
Old 07-20-2013, 03:52 PM

Yeah, he's blind!
Old 07-20-2013, 04:05 PM
Sage
Boycotts have worked in the past. The one that comes to mind in the recent past was a boycott against Arizona because of it's "papers please" law.

First conventions are canceled, then people change their vacation destinations, then companies change their relocation plans, and on and on. When states get hit in the pocketbook, they might rethink their laws.

These entertainers are using the only platform they have to draw attention to a cause they consider important.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.