Rolling Stone and Stevie Wonder

Closed Thread
Old 07-21-2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
I'm waiting to see where the Kardashian's stand on this.
Who?
Old 07-21-2013, 03:26 AM

I see these as two separate issues. Rolling Stone isn't doing anything that hasn't been done before in the print media. Al Capone, Adolf Hitler, and the Ayatollah Khomeini have all been on the cover of Time Magazine. Josef Stalin was the Time Man of the Year twice. So it isn't like murderers and other criminals haven't been on the cover of magazines before. If I'm not mistaken, Usama Bin Laden was also on the cover of plenty of print publications. At least Rolling Stone includes the words, "bomber" and "monster" when describing the Boston bomber.

Stevie Wonder, on the other hand is making a business decision. It will be his loss by never working in Florida or any other stand-your-ground state. I'd be more impressed if he would refuse to work in Chicago until the murders stop there. I wasn't even aware that he still has an audience.

One of the hard things about being an American is that we have to allow free speech even when that speech is offensive to us. It is the only way to protect our own right of free speech.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Boycotts have worked in the past. The one that comes to mind in the recent past was a boycott against Arizona because of it's "papers please" law.

First conventions are canceled, then people change their vacation destinations, then companies change their relocation plans, and on and on. When states get hit in the pocketbook, they might rethink their laws.

These entertainers are using the only platform they have to draw attention to a cause they consider important.
Well said. I suspect many that don't like entertainers protesting against Stand Your Ground, had no trouble with Ronald Reagan running for President, or Charleton Heston being president of NRA, Gary Sinese campaigning for John McCain, etc.

We had Pete Seeger protesting in favor of international disarmament and environmental causes; Joan Baez used her celebrity to help the civil rights movement; Phil Ochs sang against the Vietnam war; Woody Guthrie's songs about the working man and the Dust Bowl are part of our American heritage.

In 1985, Stevie Wonder dedicated an Academy Award to then-imprisoned icon Nelson Mandela, who was jailed during the country's apartheid regime. Rich many times over, if Stevie chooses not to play in states that have laws he doesn't agree with, I imagine he can afford it. And if conservative Villagers don't buy or listen to his music, he could care less. He is being true to his beliefs, and I respect him for that.

Last edited by Moderator; 07-22-2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: edited out political references
Old 07-22-2013, 06:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

The Villages Florida
Old 07-22-2013, 07:33 AM
Location: Living in the Villages after 26 years on the Upper Westside of Manhattan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post

In 1985, Stevie Wonder dedicated an Academy Award to then-imprisoned icon Nelson Mandela, who was jailed during the country's apartheid regime. Rich many times over, if Stevie chooses not to play in states that have laws he doesn't agree with, I imagine he can afford it. And if conservative Villagers don't buy or listen to his music, he could care less. He is being true to his beliefs, and I respect him for that.
Good point! I would so much rather have an entertainer who who stands up for principles than one of the usual ego maniacs who stand only for themselves!

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2
formerly of Manhattan and weekends on the Jersey Shore--now living the dream in Caroline!

Last edited by Moderator; 07-22-2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: original quoted post was edited - updated here
Old 07-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I know, some of these entertainers seem only concerned with superficial things, their appearance, clothes, you name it. I find it refreshing to find entertainers like Wonder, Bono is another one, who deeply care about social issues and are willing to devote their time and resources to making the world a better place.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Sage

If these entertainers are so intent on making the world a better place, Florida is a great place to start teaching their gullible fans that there are two sides of the story, especially when protesting "double standards".

Personally I think Stevie Wonder is wasting a huge opportunity to instruct young people in their own front yard....

"NBC2 Investigates: Gangs in Southwest Florida

Posted: Apr 25, 2013 3:36 PM EDT
Updated: Apr 25, 2013 6:30 PM EDT
By Dave Elias, NBC2 Investigator

FORT MYERS -
The City of Fort Myers has been plagued with violence and murder. NBC2 Investigator Dave Elias dug deeper and found that drugs, crime and gangs are the common elements between those killings.

Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott says the three go hand-in-hand and all appear to be playing a big role in the city's crime problem.

"They're punks. They're criminals. And in most cases – cowards," said Sheriff Scott.

He also explained that gang members live by a much different set of rules.

"We're at a more violent time right now than at any time I recall," said Sheriff Scott. "You're talking about an area that - per capita - is on par with Detroit Michigan, in terms of homicides."

There were 25 murders in Fort Myers alone last year. And Sheriff Scott says all of the killings have those three things in common – drugs, crime and gangs.

"In most every case this is criminal killing criminal. This is bad guy on bad guy," he said.

Sheriff Scott says the killings are also drug related and happening in the Dunbar area - a section of the city unfortunately known for violence and gangs.

Abel Cuellar is a former gang leader in Lee County.

"I was known as 'the Octopus.' Don't mess with the Octopus; or if you need something, go to the Octopus," he said.

He says he knows many people killed by gang violence.

"Believe it or not, all of my friends right now are dead or in prison," Cuellar told NBC2. "It starts out simple. We click together, let's go steal cupcakes from the store at the age of nine; but it just gets more and more serious."

The Florida Attorney General reports nearly 50,000 gang members statewide.

It's estimated that about 1,400 live in Collier County. And Lee County is estimated to have about the same.

"We have members of all your bigger gangs - Latin Kings, Surf 13, Bloods and Crips. We have members of them here. They're loosely organized," said Commander Matt LeClair, with the Lee County Sheriff's Office Gang Unit."

NBC2 Investigates: Gangs in Southwest Florida - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida
Old 07-22-2013, 11:39 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
Well said. I suspect many that don't like entertainers protesting against Stand Your Ground, had no trouble with Ronald Reagan running for President, or Charleton Heston being president of NRA, Gary Sinese campaigning for John McCain, etc.

We had Pete Seeger protesting in favor of international disarmament and environmental causes; Joan Baez used her celebrity to help the civil rights movement; Phil Ochs sang against the Vietnam war; Woody Guthrie's songs about the working man and the Dust Bowl are part of our American heritage.

Well said...thank you!
Old 07-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Platinum member

Sure......some other prisoner will "stand his ground"

That which does not destroy you, makes you stronger- Nietzsche
Old 07-22-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Well my first reaction to Stevie wonder's comments was that he put himself in an untenable position. If he is going to boycott Florida until the Standing Your Ground law is reversed then he has some other 30 states that contain the same or similar laws that he might also want to boycott.

As to the entertainment industry as a whole it has been my view for years to just turn these people off. I mean what self thinking individual would take seriously the political views of Sean Penn, Whoopi Goldberg or Bill Maher.

I am also tired of the Hollywood political propaganda being spread via movies television shows etc. I don't want a message I want to be entertained. Even in that they are failing because they descend lower and lower into the cesspool So my viewing continues to be seriously curtailed
Excellent points!

BB
Old 07-22-2013, 02:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I think Bill Maher is brilliant and his wit unparalleled. He can take everyday social issues and put such a funny, common sense spin on things, it is just hilarious.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:16 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
If these entertainers are so intent on making the world a better place, Florida is a great place to start teaching their gullible fans that there are two sides of the story, especially when protesting "double standards".

Personally I think Stevie Wonder is wasting a huge opportunity to instruct young people in their own front yard....

"NBC2 Investigates: Gangs in Southwest Florida

Posted: Apr 25, 2013 3:36 PM EDT
Updated: Apr 25, 2013 6:30 PM EDT
By Dave Elias, NBC2 Investigator

FORT MYERS -
The City of Fort Myers has been plagued with violence and murder. NBC2 Investigator Dave Elias dug deeper and found that drugs, crime and gangs are the common elements between those killings.

Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott says the three go hand-in-hand and all appear to be playing a big role in the city's crime problem.

"They're punks. They're criminals. And in most cases – cowards," said Sheriff Scott.

He also explained that gang members live by a much different set of rules.

"We're at a more violent time right now than at any time I recall," said Sheriff Scott. "You're talking about an area that - per capita - is on par with Detroit Michigan, in terms of homicides."

There were 25 murders in Fort Myers alone last year. And Sheriff Scott says all of the killings have those three things in common – drugs, crime and gangs.

"In most every case this is criminal killing criminal. This is bad guy on bad guy," he said.

Sheriff Scott says the killings are also drug related and happening in the Dunbar area - a section of the city unfortunately known for violence and gangs.

Abel Cuellar is a former gang leader in Lee County.

"I was known as 'the Octopus.' Don't mess with the Octopus; or if you need something, go to the Octopus," he said.

He says he knows many people killed by gang violence.

"Believe it or not, all of my friends right now are dead or in prison," Cuellar told NBC2. "It starts out simple. We click together, let's go steal cupcakes from the store at the age of nine; but it just gets more and more serious."

The Florida Attorney General reports nearly 50,000 gang members statewide.

It's estimated that about 1,400 live in Collier County. And Lee County is estimated to have about the same.

"We have members of all your bigger gangs - Latin Kings, Surf 13, Bloods and Crips. We have members of them here. They're loosely organized," said Commander Matt LeClair, with the Lee County Sheriff's Office Gang Unit."

NBC2 Investigates: Gangs in Southwest Florida - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

How many people decide not to move to Florida when they read these headlines? Especially when they find out that a lot of these gang members get away with murder by claiming they were "standing their ground".

To read more about a study done by the Tampa Bay Times, go to TampaBayTimes.com/stand/your/ground
Old 07-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoBike View Post
... Once celebrities start spouting their political beliefs, I add them to my "no buy" list....:
And once businesses start spouting their political beliefs, i add them to my "no buy" list as well.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.