What Could Me More Timely?

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2020, 06:25 AM
Default What Could Me More Timely?

Live in concert, the Billy Preston version of My Sweet Lord, George Harrison's iconic ballad.

BTW, who is the young man, strumming the acoustic guitar, on stage with Clapton?

Click here to enjoy this youtube video.
The Village Rockers is now forming. Stay "tuned" for further details about this new club for musicians, singers and spectators. Send us your name and email address. We will put you on our email list for news, updates, meeting times and playdates.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandroller View Post
Live in concert, the Billy Preston version of My Sweet Lord, George Harrison's iconic ballad.

BTW, who is the young man, strumming the acoustic guitar, on stage with Clapton?

Did George Harrison have a son? Looks just like him.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:

Great web site, thanks. Very professional. Started my day with Muddy Waters and the Stones .................. My son used to play Jimmi Hendrix continually.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 03-24-2020, 07:48 AM

It looks like George's only child, Dhani.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Concert for George - Wikipedia

The Concert for George was held at the Royal Albert Hall in London on 29 November 2002 as a memorial to George Harrison on the first anniversary of his death. The event was organised by Harrison's widow, Olivia, and his son, Dhani, and arranged under the musical direction of Eric Clapton. The profits from the event went to the Material World Charitable Foundation, an organisation founded by Harrison.

The concert opened with a traditional Sanskrit invocation, the Sarvesham chant, followed by Indian music starting with Anoushka Shankar, daughter of Ravi Shankar, playing "Your Eyes". Next, Anoushka Shankar, Dhani Harrison, and Jeff Lynne performed "The Inner Light", followed by a Ravi Shankar composition "Arpan" (Sanskrit for 'to give'), specially written for the occasion.

Next, there was a comedy interlude with four of the surviving members of the Monty Python troupe (Eric Idle, Terry Gilliam, Terry Jones along with Python contributor Neil Innes) performing "Sit on My Face". Then, Michael Palin came out as an over-the-top announcer who eventually states that he only ever wanted to be a lumberjack. He was then joined by the Pythons, Innes, Carol Cleveland, Academy Award-winning actor Tom Hanks, and The Fred Tomlinson Singers to perform "The Lumberjack Song".

The remainder of the concert featured "George's Band" and included the surviving members of the Beatles, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, as well as musicians Eric Clapton, Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Billy Preston, Jools Holland, Albert Lee, Sam Brown, Gary Brooker, Joe Brown, Ray Cooper, Andy Fairweather-Low, Marc Mann, Dave Bronze, Klaus Voormann, Harrison's son Dhani, and several other musicians who had appeared on Harrison's recordings over the years.

They played a selection of mostly Harrison's songs, from both Beatles and post-Beatles eras, generally staying faithful to Harrison's arrangements. Performances included Lynne on "I Want to Tell You" and "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)"; Clapton on "If I Needed Someone" and "Beware of Darkness"; Petty on "I Need You" and "Taxman"; Petty, Lynne, Dhani Harrison, and Jim Keltner on "Handle With Care" as a quasi-Traveling Wilburys; Clapton and Preston on "Isn't It a Pity"; Starr on "Photograph" and "Honey Don't"; McCartney on "For You Blue" and "All Things Must Pass"; McCartney and Clapton on "Something" (McCartney opening with a solo ukulele accompaniment that shifts into a full band version featuring Clapton); Clapton, McCartney, and Starr reuniting on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"; Preston on "My Sweet Lord"; and the group performance of "Wah-Wah".

Joe Brown closed the show with a rendition of "I'll See You in My Dreams" on ukulele, one of Harrison's favourite instruments.

The event was filmed and a motion picture version, directed by David Leland and photographed by Academy Award-winning cinematographer Chris Menges, was released on DVD on 17 November 2003. A compact disc version was also released on the same date although the Monty Python and Sam Brown tracks were not included on the CD. A Blu-ray version was released by Rhino Records on 22 March 2011.

In 2018, to honour what would have been the late Beatle's 75th birthday, the concert made its debut on streaming services, and was issued on a vinyl LP set for the first time

"My Sweet Lord" (Harrison) – 5:02 Billy Preston: lead vocals, Hammond organ; Paul McCartney: piano; Ringo Starr: drums; Eric Clapton: 12-string acoustic guitar; Dhani Harrison: backing vocals, acoustic guitar; Marc Mann: slide guitar
Old 03-24-2020, 08:34 AM
Sage

On youtube I have 44 music playlists with about 6,000 videos collected into those chapters from the past ten years. Some have a lot of videos and some chapters I'm only getting started. With a 75" smart TV and a youtube app and my 5.1 surround it's like having a concert at home. I had about 300 concert pro-shot DVD's, then I started collecting on youtube. This is free, is easy, everything is just about available. Here's a link to my library. I'm not sure if you're going to see the library or you have to log in. It's easy to start your own.

- YouTube
Old 03-24-2020, 08:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps on another 'Evening for George' concert.

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

The Prince solo on this is amazing.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:08 AM

Thanks to all that have replied thus far.

John_W, when I click on the album link you provided

- YouTube

Youtube displays the library described by the most current gmail account displayed in your browser. Therefore, it displays my most recently viewed videos.

Also friends, here is my latest addition to the website

https://thevillagerockers.com/theme-song/

trying to be proactive when The Villages Recreation Department will re-commence issuing "Resident Lifestyle Club" charters.

Application for club status was delivered to the Rec office the middle of February.

Then, "all the virus hit the fan"
The Village Rockers is now forming. Stay "tuned" for further details about this new club for musicians, singers and spectators. Send us your name and email address. We will put you on our email list for news, updates, meeting times and playdates.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Thanks to all that have replied thus far.

John_W, when I click on the album link you provided

- YouTube

...it displays my most recently viewed videos.
'History' comes up first, then 'Watch Later' but scroll down a couple of inches and you'll see Playlist A-Z and they have about a dozen. Scroll down a couple of inches more and click on 'show more' and you should see all 44 playlists.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,398 Times in 2,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps on another 'Evening for George' concert.

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

The Prince solo on this is amazing.
I'm still waiting to hear whether his guitar ever actually came back down..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 03-24-2020, 08:07 PM
Veteran member

Definitely his son Dhani who is George's spitting image circa 1965.

Tags
stage, young, man, strumming, acoustic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.