Actors also going on strike??

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2023, 06:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
I see percentages but do not see the actual dollars they make or are looking for so the article does not give the info I would like to see.
So. You want me to look up the info you want? Really?
Old 07-13-2023, 06:18 PM
Veteran member

Nope. I'm currently watching Rockford re-runs. Most new programming is blah..
Old 07-13-2023, 06:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
So. You want me to look up the info you want? Really?
No. I asked a question you answered it with no real info and I commented on it.
Old 07-13-2023, 07:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Need to find a picket line to cross. Do wonder how much the writers are getting paid so not sure without that whether to be sympathetic or not.
More for your perusal.
WGA Minimums — Writers Guild Pay Rates Explained
Old 07-13-2023, 10:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Too bad the retired former NYC area labor lawyer is not on here any longer. I think he might have passed, unfortunately. Used to talk to him a bit at a local dog park. But I do not recall him posting for a few years on Talk of the Villages.

I see this strike going on for a few months but could be wrong.
Old 07-14-2023, 05:27 AM

Remember how much we liked the Classy Hollywood stars!

When they keep their political influence$ on the screen, stage and tube, we'll return in droves.

That goes for all political sides, so this doesn't turn political.

But, the Way We Were isn't the way we are now, so frankly Scarlet, I don't give a ____!
Old 07-14-2023, 06:37 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
It looks like the actors and writers on going to be on strike!

Will anyone miss them??

Hollywood actors poised to join writers on strike after talks collapse | AP News
They joined the strike after the screen writers had already been on strike for a month or so instead of waiting for the writers’ strike to be over. I guess that’s striking while the iron is hot.
Old 07-14-2023, 06:45 AM
Veteran member
Default Show me the money

I'm not either an actor or a writer, but I did negotiate contracts with the majors twice. Most well-known actors are doing very well money wise. But the majority of the business are working stiffs that live paycheck to paycheck. When you sit down for negotiations you are not sitting opposite the CEO or management you are across the table with people whose jobs are to figure out a way to keep the increase as low as possible or find a way to avoid any increases at all. Now I never considered them the enemy, because I understood the game, but I was also aware that the executives at the same time they were claiming poverty were earning millions of dollars a year. The problem here is larger than the entertainment industry. When workers help a business grow both management and workers should reap the rewards and when a business starts to decline everyone should share the pain. Unfortunately, that's not how it works. When a business starts to turn sour the CEO remains at their highest salary or gets fire with a golden parachute while the workers suffer one way or another. I don't have the answer, but there has to be a better way for this to work.
Old 07-14-2023, 07:19 AM

Our economy will miss them.
Old 07-14-2023, 07:28 AM
Veteran member

Good riddance.
Old 07-14-2023, 07:28 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
It looks like the actors and writers on going to be on strike!

Will anyone miss them??

Hollywood actors poised to join writers on strike after talks collapse | AP News
I really do not think I will even notice. Unlike th 890s, 90's there aren't many (any) scripted shows I watc`h on TV. As for the movies, No desire to see movies reshot with a "equitable" cast.
Old 07-14-2023, 07:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

I am sure we can entertain ourselves with the streaming services we use.
Old 07-14-2023, 07:39 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird45 View Post
I'm not either an actor or a writer, but I did negotiate contracts with the majors twice. Most well-known actors are doing very well money wise. But the majority of the business are working stiffs that live paycheck to paycheck. When you sit down for negotiations you are not sitting opposite the CEO or management you are across the table with people whose jobs are to figure out a way to keep the increase as low as possible or find a way to avoid any increases at all. Now I never considered them the enemy, because I understood the game, but I was also aware that the executives at the same time they were claiming poverty were earning millions of dollars a year. The problem here is larger than the entertainment industry. When workers help a business grow both management and workers should reap the rewards and when a business starts to decline everyone should share the pain. Unfortunately, that's not how it works. When a business starts to turn sour the CEO remains at their highest salary or gets fire with a golden parachute while the workers suffer one way or another. I don't have the answer, but there has to be a better way for this to work.
Maybe if they stop turning out garbage. We are streaming some of the older shows. We especially enjoy the British ones.
Old 07-14-2023, 08:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird45 View Post
Seems like a supply and demand problem. Maybe the "working stiffs" should consider changing professions. Plenty of jobs in medical and building trades.
Old 07-14-2023, 08:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Please let me know if they do not come to terms by this time next year.

However how are these people making 20 million or so a movie going to survive?
The actors are supporting the writers....they don't make $20 mil.
Closed Thread

Tags
actors, strike, miss, writers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.