anyone been to New Mexico??

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Default anyone been to New Mexico??

anyone been to New Mexico and if so what would you recommend is a must see?? cc
Old 05-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Sage

Do about three days minimum in Santa Fe, the art center of the Southwest.

And - Welcome to TOTV!

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)

Last edited by chuckinca; 05-14-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:51 AM
Sage
Default Multiple choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by conservativechick View Post
anyone been to New Mexico and if so what would you recommend is a must see?? cc
CARLSBAD CAVERNS if you are into nature.

carlsbad.caverns.national-park.com

Also, Taos, N.M. if you are into creative arts and crafts...

Also, Roswell, N.M. if you are into U.F.O.'s and Area 51.

Just remember it is very hot, very arrid, very dry climate at this time of year.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Veteran member

Santa Fe is definitely a must see, and if you are driving from Santa Fe to Albuquerque you should take the Turquoise Trail which is 14. You can look up the Turquoise Trail on Google. It is a National Scenic Byway. The best stop on the trail is the town of Madrid. It is a quaint little town full of art galleries. Fun little place to walk around. They filmed the movie "Wild Hogs" in this town, so many motorcyclists take the trail to visit this spot.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Wink

Yep along I 25 alot of Jails and Fed Pens and road side pull overs to see if you have anyone in your trunk and sand and rocket pads
Old 05-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Default Sightseeing recommendation

The White Sands National Monument near Alamogordo NM is a beautiful sight!! White powder sand dunes with a facinating history is a great place to visit!!
Old 05-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Default new mexico

can we see alberqueque, sante fe and taos and roswell all in one trip ?? how about Oct or Nov what is weather like then?? is it safe along these drives most importantly and any other recommendations appreciated. thanks cc
Old 05-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Veteran member

We did Santa Fe, Albuquerque and Roswell in two days. Now obviously, we didn't stay long in any one place. Roswell was a long drive with a lot of nothing to see. Wasn't worth going over there! Would have spent more time in Santa Fe now that I know.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Eternal Member

If you're only going to be there a short time, I'd recommend Carlsbad Caverns as a must. No place like it in the world. And it will entertain you for most of a day. Similar rating for White Sands though it's more of "oh my God, look at the beautiful pure sand. And why is it 110 degrees on the surface and 65 degrees less than a foot deep? Well, that was nice. Now what?" !/2 hour visit covers it, unless you picnic and sand surf, look into the Missile Range and Alamogordo, or somehow snare a visit to Trinity site. Albuquerque is a great small city with a lovely "Old Town" -- sort if a Spanish Springs on steroids. Santa Fe is yuppieville. I'd be more inclined to go out west to the Navajo reservation and drive Highway 666 just for the desolate scenery.

And try to be in the mountains around sunrise. I will never forget my first view coming out of flat Tx & Okla at Tucumcari. I was in awe, thinking to myself "Damn, the mountains really are purple."

`
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 05-18-2009, 07:49 AM
Default new mexico

we'll be going at least a week, probably 10 days because when we travel we like to see everything!! that's why i asked if those three cities are doable plus other sites to see. thanks everyone!! thinking of going Oct for balloon fesstival. anyone every do that?? just have to get the nerve up to go up on one!!! ha cc
Old 05-18-2009, 09:17 AM
Platinum member
Default Sandia Peak

When you go to Albuquerque, ride the tram to the top of Sandia Peak. The view is breathtaking and there is a nice restaurant on top (at least there was the last time I was there, but it's been several years.) There is also an old village somewhere off I-25 between Santa Fe and Albuquerque where they have an old mill to grind corn, outdoor mud ovens, huts, and do laundry in the stream. Sorry, I can't remember the name but someone should be able to fill you in. As for the weather, it depends. It could be hot, cold, or snow or all that time of year. The balloon festival is something you really want to experience so that would be the time to go. There is a great place for golf near Santa Fe up in the mountains, but it will probably be closed for the winter by then. It is called Panderies. We used to go there every September just before they closed. Tough course, but fun. I am from West Texas so have experienced a lot of New Mexico. Carlsbad is good, too, but be sure to wear some good walking shoes. It is a long hike to the bottom, but there is an elevator to bring you back up. Enjoy your trip. Route 66 goes right through there so be sure to get pictures by the signs.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:20 PM

thanks everyone for great tips!! any others i'd appreciate it. looking forward to trip!! cc
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.