Coffee Beans Coffee Beans - Page 3 - Talk of The Villages Florida

Coffee Beans

Reply
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 06-23-2026, 04:06 PM
Fastskiguy Fastskiguy is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Linden
Posts: 704
Thanks: 753
Thanked 346 Times in 218 Posts
Default

I use this big dude here to grind the beans, it's a single dose grinder so it does enough coffee for a single cup at once. It is one powerful unit, can crank thru hard light roasted beans without breaking a sweat. Then it's either pour over or Aeropress or once in awhile the old manual espresso unit.

Turin DF83 Gen 2 Coffee / Espresso Grinder
– Espresso Outlet LLC


Flair Classic Overview | Affordable Espresso Maker | Flair Espresso

Coffee is pretty darn fun and in retirement it's an unbelievable luxury to make a great cup and drink it without being in a rush.

Joe
  #32  
Old 06-24-2026, 10:42 AM
drducat drducat is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 315
Thanks: 0
Thanked 360 Times in 139 Posts
Default

Green beans can be bought direct from some growers for a huge savings , problem is 50 lb bags or more are too much in quantity. The academy class looks appealing...have an air popcorn popper that will work great for roasting.
  #33  
Old 09-21-2026, 03:56 AM
Grumpydad22 Grumpydad22 is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Jul 2026
Posts: 12
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Just start with a small bag of beans to see what you like. A basic burr grinder is enough for regular coffee.
  #34  
Old 09-21-2026, 05:28 AM
ckcapaul ckcapaul is offline
Bronze Member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Woodbury
Posts: 147
Thanks: 22
Thanked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Default

I have the Cuisinart grinder, also roast my own beans. Huge difference in flavor. When I don;t have time to roast always buy whole bean.
  #35  
Old 09-21-2026, 05:48 AM
What? What? is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Home roaster since February 2026

It's great to see so much discussion about the art and science of fine coffee making and drinking. I bought a Fresh Roast SR-800 home coffee roaster and started experimenting with green bean roasting. I buy my beans now from Sweet Marias. You can buy green beans in quantity as small as 1 lb. I try different cultivars from different countries and coffee plantations. So much to learn about brewing styles, water quality, water temperature, grinding technology, etc. I enjoy experimenting with different types of green beans. Sweet Marias publishes cupping notes with radar plots for the coffee they offer that describe 10 different flavor and aroma characteristics. I am starting to learn how to use the cupping notes in making my selections. I enjoy the technical side and have modified my roaster with a thermal couple temperature probe to directly measure the bean temperature during roasting. My wife and I attended the coffee roasting class in The Village enrichment academy. A good introductory class.
Enjoy,
Lynn
  #36  
Old 09-21-2026, 07:47 AM
La lamy's Avatar
La lamy La lamy is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 2,368
Thanks: 565
Thanked 2,729 Times in 1,156 Posts
Default

I'll be very surprised if you end up doing the grinding consistently OP. Both my partner and I have no patience for that whole process first thing in the morning.
  #37  
Old 09-21-2026, 07:59 AM
LeRoySmith LeRoySmith is online now
Gold Member
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: The Enclave
Posts: 1,065
Thanks: 204
Thanked 843 Times in 398 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I'll be very surprised if you end up doing the grinding consistently OP. Both my partner and I have no patience for that whole process first thing in the morning.
I've been watching the conversation hoping someone will say it's a breeze and explain how to do it with no fuss. I really enjoy a good cup of coffee but I'm afraid I land in your court, I don't think I've got the patience for it. But good coffee is really good ...
__________________
I've got a pool. I've got a pond. Pond's good for you...
  #38  
Old 09-21-2026, 08:52 AM
totvistb totvistb is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
We are thinking about buying coffee beans and grinding them ourselves and are looking for advice. We have never done it before. There are a lot of different bean choices at Costco and we don’t know how to start. Is there a big difference in taste between ready made grounds and home ground beans?
How many of you grind beans in your home? What kind of grinder do you have?
Thanks for any advice.
Start simply. Buy an inexpensive burr grinder (I use a Cuisinart that works well for me). I grind several days worth of coffee at a time so the process is simple in the morning.

Use your standard coffee making method to start. You can always try out other methods if you want to get into the process more. French presses are nice but they are a bit messy. And you can spend a lot of money on fancy equipment if that’s your thing.

Buy small quantities of beans to see what you like first. We like light roasts which seem to be less common so we have to search a little.

But buy all means try grinding your own beans and see where you go from there.
  #39  
Old 09-21-2026, 09:19 AM
OrangeBlossomBaby OrangeBlossomBaby is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 12,597
Thanks: 10,371
Thanked 13,616 Times in 4,745 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I'll be very surprised if you end up doing the grinding consistently OP. Both my partner and I have no patience for that whole process first thing in the morning.
Yup. It takes around 1 minute for me to set up my morning cappuccino. Once set up, I brush my teeth in the bathroom. My electric toothbrush vibrates when I'm done, and that's 2 minutes after I start. By the time I get back to my Keurig, the milk is steamed and frothed, the espresso is in the cup with the dash of cinnamon and sugar, and I'm ready to start my day.
  #40  
Old 09-21-2026, 10:19 AM
Cheapbas Cheapbas is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 217
Thanks: 10
Thanked 246 Times in 103 Posts
Default

I concur on the Breville Smart Grinder Pro, I have one although the price is up significantly since I purchased. In addition to grind adjustments by dial, the burrs have 5 levels of adjustments internally. The coffee/espresso folks speak of Costco beans favorably on line. There are also so many companies that roast to order via on-line ordering, the fresher the better, but then you may have shipping charges.

The fellow opus and baratza encore also worth considering. If you want to get crazy, move up to 64mm flat burrs for best performance, but that may get expensive and maybe overkill for just pourover.
  #41  
Old 09-21-2026, 10:30 PM
Win1894 Win1894 is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 159
Thanks: 155
Thanked 101 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoySmith View Post
I've been watching the conversation hoping someone will say it's a breeze and explain how to do it with no fuss. I really enjoy a good cup of coffee but I'm afraid I land in your court, I don't think I've got the patience for it. But good coffee is really good ...
I'll admit that one has to really like a great cup of coffee to spend the 5 minutes it takes to brew that perfect cup at home, 3 or 4 minutes more that it takes to throw a pod into the Keurig for a very mediocre cup. My 5 minutes are as follows: heat water in electric coffee kettle, measure out 28 grams of freshly roasted whole coffee beans in place in grinder, place ground coffee into French press, pour in 475 ml of 200 degree hot water, stir and start timer, at 4 minutes pour brewed coffee into ceramic mug and enjoy a great cup of coffee. If you and La Lamy don't have the 5 minutes to enjoy excellent coffee just continue with your present methods. Alternatively if you both want to come to my house, I would be happy to show you how to make great coffee at home with minimal fuss. Just PM me.
  #42  
Old 09-21-2026, 10:36 PM
Win1894 Win1894 is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 159
Thanks: 155
Thanked 101 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Yup. It takes around 1 minute for me to set up my morning cappuccino. Once set up, I brush my teeth in the bathroom. My electric toothbrush vibrates when I'm done, and that's 2 minutes after I start. By the time I get back to my Keurig, the milk is steamed and frothed, the espresso is in the cup with the dash of cinnamon and sugar, and I'm ready to start my day.
Had no idea a Keurig could brew espresso coffee!
Reply

Tags
beans, coffee, home, advice, ready


You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 PM.