In the Kitchen - What's the best home cooked food you've made lately?

Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2017, 09:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Thank you for sharing the website. I would never have found it otherwise. I am not crafty so those classes would not be for me, but those cooking classes look interesting.

We often use an old-fashioned pressure cooker. Pot roast never fails under pressure.

The sound of a pressure cooker on the stove is a sound I associate with my childhood.

From the list of cooking classes offered, it looks like pressure cookers are in again.
Yes the Craftsy cooking classes are really good. Well worth it. They are taught by professional chefs. I have a pressure cooker that is so old I would be afraid to use it. I think the instapot is kind of a pressure cooker that people use now.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:37 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
Yes the Craftsy cooking classes are really good. Well worth it. They are taught by professional chefs. I have a pressure cooker that is so old I would be afraid to use it. I think the instapot is kind of a pressure cooker that people use now.
Mr. Boomer really likes to use the pressure cooker (fine by me) even though he has a childhood memory of potatoes on the kitchen ceiling when somebody got in too big a hurry with the lid.

For some reason, we have more success with the pressure cooker than with the crockpot.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Do you add the beans in after it is finished cooking or during the cooking process?
At the very beginning.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Salmon patties, fried potatoes, purple hull peas, collard greens and corn bread - southern food.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Salmon patties, fried potatoes, purple hull peas, collard greens and corn bread - southern food.
I haven't had salmon patties since I was a kid. The fried potatoes were something we had several times a week as well.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
What temp did you cook the roast? A friend of mine puts cream cheese and milk and butter in her mashed potatoes and they are the best I have ever had.
I also make my mash potatoes with cream cheese, butter and either milk or half and half. If I am having company I make them ahead of time, grease a casserole dish and add the mash potatoes. Reheat covered at 350 for about 35- 40 minutes. If you have refrigerated the potatoes make sure they are at room temperature before reheating.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newyorkers View Post
I also make my mash potatoes with cream cheese, butter and either milk or half and half. If I am having company I make them ahead of time, grease a casserole dish and add the mash potatoes. Reheat covered at 350 for about 35- 40 minutes. If you have refrigerated the potatoes make sure they are at room temperature before reheating.
That's a great tidea. How far ahead can you make them without them turning brown? My friend does something similar and puts them in the crock pot to reheat.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:02 PM
Platinum member

Meatloaf in my InstantPot. I usually do it in the crockpot but wanted to try this way.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:50 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
I make Portuguese kale soup (sopa de couves) several times in the cooler weather, and usually make a huge pot to bring to neighborhood pot lucks and it's always a big hit and is requested. Portuguese families would serve it as a main dish on Sunday (or any other day of the week) with a crusty Portuguese bread. My version is made with potatoes, kale, cabbage, onions, red kidney beans, a quartered beef or pork roast, and sliced Linguica or Chourico sausage.
You're right--if you're going to make this soup, you may as well make a boatload of it.

The recipe (and I use the word lightly) that use was taught to me by a woman who grew up on Cape Verde. I use all the same ingredients, except cabbage and I add a sweet potato; people often think its carrots, which I also add. Made some about a month ago. Oh, and Betty would also add country spare ribs to the soup. Good stuff!
Old 07-13-2017, 01:04 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wilmington Ohio, bought in Hadley Village January 2009, move when we can retire

Meatloaf, scalloped potatoes and fresh peas. Oh, and hot peach cobbler with a vanilla scoop.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
That's a great tidea. How far ahead can you make them without them turning brown? My friend does something similar and puts them in the crock pot to reheat.
I have never done it for more than a day ahead. I have also taken the leftover mashed potatoes, scoop them into a muffin tin, freeze them, remove them from the tin, put in a ziploc bag and put back in freezer. Now you have individual servings.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:50 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Was in Ireland and every where I went, they served seafood chowder. Tried it many different places and all were great. So when I got home I made it.

Used salmon, white fish, crab, mussels and shrimp for the seafood. In a big pot, cooked an onion until translucent, added carrots, celery, fish stock all the seafood, heavy cream and dill. I steamed the mussels first and poached the rest in the onion and fish stock. Cooked on simmer for a few hours, thickened with butter and flour rue, and served with brown bread. Delicious.

Will make it again real soon. Made a huge pot so we were eating it for 3 days.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:34 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newyorkers View Post
I have never done it for more than a day ahead. I have also taken the leftover mashed potatoes, scoop them into a muffin tin, freeze them, remove them from the tin, put in a ziploc bag and put back in freezer. Now you have individual servings.
This is perhaps the most brilliant idea I have ever read on TOTV! I consider real mashed potatoes to be the ultimate comfort food. This is a way to have them on tap when needed. Thank you.......I think.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:45 PM
Sage

You can also buy Bob Evans mashed potatoes at Publix and they are pretty darn good. Just heat them in the microwave. If serving to company an hour before they get there dump two packages in a bowl, stir in some butter, half and half and heat stirring a couple of times. Serve with a few pats of butter on top. You can't tell the difference from homemade. I have not liked some of the other brands however. I don't like the texture of previously frozen mashed potatoes, but that's just me.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I ran across a sheet pan recipe that worked well. Put thin asparagus tossed in a little olive oil, salt, & pepper in a 275 (yes, low temp) oven for about ten minutes or more if the spears are thicker. After that time, to the asparagus on the sheet add however many salmon slices you want (I don't know what they're called--we call them tranches, but they are not the rounded steaks) you want, skin side down. Spray a little oil on the salmon, put herbs of your choice on (I use salt, garlic chips, pepper, maybe oregano) and smear with your favorite mustard. Sprinkle bread crumbs (I use panko but have even smashed crackers and used that) and put the whole lot back in the oven for 15 minutes. It's really good. Here's the recipe, but I've trimmed some fat out of it. Baked Mustard-Crusted Salmon with Asparagus and Tarragon recipe | Epicurious.com

Tags
kitchen, steaks, made, put, cooking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.