Red Cabbage

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2008, 04:11 AM
Platinum member
Default Re: Red Cabbage

Our German Deli/Restaurant/Grocery Store is to die for! They have hot potato salad, cold potato salad, red cabbage, green cabbage, purple cabbage, every kind of wurst you can dream about, wienerschnitzel, and mile-high Linzertorts. I never heard of some of the things the deli carries, but it sure is fun to try something new. Most of the folks who eat there speak German, and they also sell German newspapers and magazines. It's a little bit of Germany in downtown Salt Lake. It's a little rinky-dink place, but we have to plan for a week before we eat there, because we tend to go overboard. burp.

If I could figure out a way to package up the potato salad, I'd be glad to send y'all some!
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 05-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna

"If I could figure out a way to package up the potato salad, I'd be glad to send y'all some!"

Aw Judy..That is so sweet..Will they give you the recipe for the cold potato salad.....???? ;D

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 05-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Platinum member

Aw Judy..That is so sweet..Will they give you the recipe for the cold potato salad.....???? ;D
[/quote]

Oh Donna! I won't even ask! I'm chicken! Most of the restaurant reviews for Siegfried's Deli rate the food very high, but they lose points for service. Some folks have compared them to Seinfeld's soup nazi. Personally, I think part of the problem is because most of the employees only speak German. They don't chit chat because they don't understand what you're saying... On the other hand, there IS a line of customers out the door at lunchtime. :beer2:

Boomer: Could the missing ingredient be cloves? http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Grandma...ge/Detail.aspx :dontknow:

Pre-made red cabbage online: http://gdcom.stores.yahoo.net/noapro10.html but the ingredients list doesn't show onions. Hmmmm. One of the ingredients is "aroma." The other red cabbage has no apples: http://gdcom.stores.yahoo.net/gunbarredcab.html 024
Bossier City, Louisiana
The Villages, Florida
Old 05-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,228 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy

Boomer: Could the missing ingredient be cloves? http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Grandma...ge/Detail.aspx :dontknow:
uu,

Thanks.

Cloves are a powerful thing. Might be worth a shot.

I suspect I needed a stronger onion. But cloves would certainly make their presence known, unlike that Vidalia onion I sacrificed to the vinegar.

My granny used to tuck cloves behind her woodwork to keep ants away.

btw, I love your comparison of your deli to Seinfeld's soup nazi. I love that soup nazi thing like I love that "cheeburga, cheeburga, Pepsi, no Coke" from the very old SNL days. (The days when SNL was pretty consistently funny.)

Boomer
Old 05-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer BeBack
uu,

Thanks.

Cloves are a powerful thing. Might be worth a shot.

I suspect I needed a stronger onion. But cloves would certainly make their presence known, unlike that Vidalia onion I sacrificed to the vinegar.

My granny used to tuck cloves behind her woodwork to keep ants away.

btw, I love your comparison of your deli to Seinfeld's soup nazi. I love that soup nazi thing like I love that "cheeburga, cheeburga, Pepsi, no Coke" from the very old SNL days. (The days when SNL was pretty consistently funny.)

Boomer
Boomer, yes, cloves ARE powerful! We made clove-studded lemons in Girl Scouts, so we could give them as gifts. The recipient was supposed to hang it in the closet to keep the clothes fresh. I didn't know that cloves keep ants away. Might be worth a try now that ant season is here. Maybe they also work to deter moths? Maybe that's why every GS troop made clove lemons? :dontknow:

I also loved SNL in the early days! No Coke! Pepsi! LOL
Too bad you sacrificed your Vidalia to the recipe. Live & Learn. :'(
Bossier City, Louisiana
The Villages, Florida
Old 05-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,534 Times in 1,921 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Boom:

It sounds like you have too much cabbage and not enough bacon drippings, (bad artery clogging stuff, but delicious) I really don't think the vidalia would matter much.

My grandparents came from Bavaria and although I have eaten my weight in hot "Deutch Kartofel" salad, I have never had any cold GERMAN potato salad. Must be a northern German dish.

But on the issue of cold American potato salad, try this once.

Cook as many potatoes as eggs. (The ratio is important in this dish)

Don't cool eggs and potatoes slice them and mix with a generous amount of chopped vidalia onion and add Hellmann mayonaise....generously. Serve right away, not chilled. (Good chilled too)

This is a simple, really yummy potato salad. Resist the urge to add celery, mustard, capers, or ANYTHING else. Just make a little and get back to me.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna

Gracie,
I make my potato salad like your recipe...My friends go nuts! :bigthumbsup:

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 05-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,228 Times in 757 Posts

gg,

Bavaria R Us, too. (Well, I am actually quite the melting pot, all on my own. But that's
another story. -- But the German part is Bavaria.)

And I have never had cold German potato salad either. We even warm it up when it is leftover. So maybe it is the Bavaria thing.

(re. Bavaria, does anybody reading this happen to know whether the word "Bavaria" indicates anything about the age of a piece of china?)

Back to the real purpose of the forum -- One of the things that I think could turn out to be really fun and interesting about this recipe forum is that we can share regional favorites. I think there are some really good cooks here. (Boomer not included.)

But about those regional favorites, gg, nobody will believe that we put chili and cheese on top of our spaghetti. Chicago son-in-law used to make fun of us for our chili and spaghetti. But now he is hooked, too. And the people at the local Skyline, where he started going for lunch every day when he worked nearby, just got his order ready the minute he walked in the door. Did not even have to ask him. That's how hooked he got. Hah!

And I have always wondered if my not being able to eat sloppy Joes or barbecue sandwiches without putting coleslaw on top is more about being from southern Ohio.

Boomer
Old 05-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Sage

"And I have always wondered if my not being able to eat sloppy Joes or barbecue sandwiches without putting coleslaw on top is more about being from southern Ohio.

Why of course Boom. It is the RIGHT thing to do!
Old 05-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Sage

Here in Ohio we cannot see anyone wed, buried, have a first Communion, rally, horseshoe throw or bachelorette party without eating Johnny Marzetti cassarole, before during or later.

I will give you my recipe if you give me yours.

P.S. It is NOT Italian and certainly not German and has a bunch of brown sugar in it.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quit hijacking this thread!!! I really need/want/desire red cabbage recipes. I gave Donna my cold potato salad recipe on another thread. sheesh!!!!

BTW -- I was born in Nuremberg (southern Germany). My godmother made the hot potato salad. My mother was born in Leipzig (now part of Poland, but then was eastern, southern Germany) and raised in Berlin and she made the cold. So, maybe it is a regional thing. Personally, I love the cold -- slightly Americanized.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Sage

Guiltily dragging my feet with my head down and restoring the hi jacked thread to my sweet friend Redwitch.

German red cabbage. Cook in slow oven. 300 or slower.
Ingredients
large red cabbage
4-5 cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped small
2 medium onions, chopped small
1 clove garlic, chopped very small
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg.
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
3 level tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons wine vinegar
generous pat of butter
salt and pepper

First discard the tough outer leaves of the cabbage, cut it into quarters and remove the hard stalk. Then shred the rest of the cabbage finely, using your sharpest knife (although you can shred it in a food processor, I prefer to do it by hand: it doesn't come out so uniform). Next, in a fairly large casserole, arrange a layer of shredded cabbage seasoned with salt and pepper, then a layer of chopped onions and apples with a sprinkling of garlic, spices and sugar. Continue with these alternate layers until everything is in.

Now pour in the wine vinegar, lastly add dots of butter on the top. Put a tight lid on the casserole and let it cook very slowly in the oven for 2-2½ hours, stirring everything around once or twice during the cooking. Red cabbage, once cooked, will keep warm without coming to any harm, and it will also re-heat very successfully. And, yes, it does freeze well so, all in all, it's a real winner of a recipe.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

gracie

I'm going to try that red cabbage recipe. Over the years I tried making it but it never tasted right and I'd always be disappointed.

I have a question...I've never cooked with wine vinegar but I seem to think there are many different types. If so, what kind should I buy?

I'm looking forward to giving this recipe a try and want to make sure I have the right ingredients.

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Sage

Gracie, I LOVE you. This sounds the closest to Mom's I've found in the 20 years I've been hunting. Only thing missing is the cinnamon sticks (I think). THANK YOU!!!!

Can't wait to find an excuse to fix it. Guess Jess will have to come to dinner soon.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-15-2008, 09:08 PM
Sage

BTW -- Feel free to hijack away now that I have a recipe. rofl

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.