Basically, T.V. is safe from coastal hurricanes

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2014, 06:13 AM
Sage
Default Basically, T.V. is safe from coastal hurricanes

Basically, T.V. is safe and protected from coastal hurricanes, flooding, etc. That's a given....and a blessing....however......

After reading the below, I was wondering if any long term residents of T.V. can recall ever having a "brush" with a hurricane in central Florida?

Power outages? How long?

Or, is central Florida protected, in a bubble, from the hurricane winds and ensuing damage that the coast will experience.

Obviously, flooding will not be an issue.

""Hurricane season 2013 is in the books, and it goes down as one of the quietest in 30 years.
Spring 2014 Advice

Also, due to the recent past, Local 6 WKMG Cheif Meterologist Tom Sorrell mentions that there seems to be a wave of "Hurricane Amnesia" or "Hurricane Denial", where being prepared is becoming less of a priority for some folks.........as there is a feeling "It won't happen here".

Here is a list of supplies recommended to have on hand...........

In addition to 2 weeks supply of water and canned foods, don't forget about pets and children's supplies. Pets need food and water, beddings or litter. Access to stores carrying these supplies during storms may be limited, so keep an extra supply of diapers and wipes.

Be sure if anyone in your home needs ongoing medication or requires medical equipment, be sure to speak with your medical provider ahead of time to ensure you're property prepared.

Obviously, those on the barrier islands would know when to evacuate to the mainland, and also what to bring along with them..........

But, has THE VILLAGES ever experienced the "edge" of a hurricane??????

Who remembers it?
Old 05-14-2014, 06:30 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

It's just not true that we are safe from coastal hurricanes. What we ARE safe from is the very dangerous tidal surge. But, because most of Florida is pretty flat and narrow, we are very vulnerable to the high winds, tornados, and torrential rains that come with big hurricanes. When you live in a state that is only about 150 miles wide, a huge storm that is 500 miles wide is going to get you.

Last edited by BarryRX; 05-14-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:10 AM

Off spring of hurricanes are the tornadoes . Spawned on the edges ,these twisters are what I fear the most! I have been through several and believe me they are more threatening to life and property.
I miss having a basement or storm shelter here.
Please everyone out in TV ,remove all loose items in the yard. Chairs, garden decor, become flying missiles . The usual supplies( mentioned above ) are going to be precious for survival in the aftermath. Decide NOW the safest place to hunker down when a tornado watch is in effect

Keep a battery powered alert radio with you,along with a flashlight in Try to cover your body with something to prevent shrapnel .Keep safe my friends !
Old 05-14-2014, 07:54 AM
Sage
Default Great input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Sweeny View Post
Off spring of hurricanes are the tornadoes . Spawned on the edges ,these twisters are what I fear the most! I have been through several and believe me they are more threatening to life and property.
I miss having a basement or storm shelter here.
Please everyone out in TV ,remove all loose items in the yard. Chairs, garden decor, become flying missiles . The usual supplies( mentioned above ) are going to be precious for survival in the aftermath. Decide NOW the safest place to hunker down when a tornado watch is in effect

Keep a battery powered alert radio with you,along with a flashlight in Try to cover your body with something to prevent shrapnel .Keep safe my friends !

Great input. We were told that those big walk in closets in The Villages homes would be good shelters.....perhaps with some small mattresses to cushion the body.........

In North Carolina, our niece's family (hubby, 2 very young children), usually shelter in their bathroom as it's the only windowless room; once the grandparents were visiting ; very crowded several hours waiting out the "all clear"..........

If you are in a structure:
(e.g. residence, small building, school, nursing home, hospital, factory, shopping center, high-rise building) ...............

Go to a pre-designated shelter area such as a safe room, basement, storm cellar, or the lowest building level.

If there is no basement, go to the center of an interior room on the lowest level (closet, interior hallway) away from corners, windows, doors, and outside walls. ***********

Put as many walls as possible between you and the outside.

Get under a sturdy table and use your arms to protect your head and neck.

Do not open windows.

If you are in a vehicle, trailer, or mobile home
Get out immediately and go to the lowest floor of a sturdy, nearby building or a tornado shelter. Mobile homes, even if tied down, offer little protection from tornadoes.

If you are outside with no shelter
Lie flat in a nearby ditch or depression and cover your head with your hands. Be aware of the potential for flooding.

Do not get under an overpass or bridge. You are safer in a low, flat location.

Never try to outrun a tornado in urban or congested areas in a car or truck. Instead, leave the vehicle immediately for safe shelter.

Watch out for flying debris. Flying debris from tornadoes causes most fatalities and injuries.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,784 Times in 1,387 Posts

the hurricane associated beater bands are just as problematical.....

If the eye of any hurricane is off the coast to the east or west of TV or anywhere else nearby will not be a very pleasant place to be.....until it passes!
Old 05-14-2014, 08:12 AM
Platinum member

If a storm is coming maybe get out of dodge while you can.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:20 AM
Sage

Np place is ever 100% safe, from Mother Nature's whim's.

Lived in the northeast where Sandy, and snowstorms, reeked havoc.

I would like to believe, we may have several years of non-violent type weather, as a couple of stoms have passed through, the last several years. One major hurricane and tornado.

All we can do is hope for the best!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 05-14-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
It's just not true that we are safe from coastal hurricanes. What we ARE safe from is the very dangerous tidal surge. But, because most of Florida is pretty flat and narrow, we are very vulnerable to the high winds, tornados, and torrential rains that come with big tornados. When you live in a state that is only about 150 miles wide, a huge storm that is 500 miles wide is going to get you.
Amen.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The one thing we have going for us is that winds speed drop quickly once a hurricane is over land do to surface friction. The energy of the wind goes as the square of the velocity so small decreases in wind speed represent large decreases in energy. For example, the energy of a 50 mph wind is only 25% of the energy of a 100 mph wind. Tornadoes, of course, can pop up almost anywhere as you mentioned but we are somewhat less vulnerable to straight line wind than coastal regions.

Quote:
It's just not true that we are safe from coastal hurricanes. What we ARE safe from is the very dangerous tidal surge. But, because most of Florida is pretty flat and narrow, we are very vulnerable to the high winds, tornados, and torrential rains that come with big tornados. When you live in a state that is only about 150 miles wide, a huge storm that is 500 miles wide is going to get you.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:19 AM
Gold member

Quote:
I've lived here 40 years without an incident of any kind. 25 of those years was a lakefront home. when I first moved here and the first hurricane came along I taped all my windows and bought water and supplies etc etc etc . after that first time I realized this far inland it was not necessary.
maybe its because im such a clean living lucky guy.
there will always be the folks that have lightening rods, tornado shelters in their garage and weather radios waking them up in the middle of the night.
but all things considered, this area is a very safe place to live.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Check out the hurricanes of 2004 -- charley, frances, ivan, jeanne. They came back to back. Blue tarps were everywhere. Fortunately, there hasn't been a repeat of that year.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Charley was a fast moving hurricane which allowed it to maintain high wind speeds as it went through I-4. Orlando had maximum sustained winds close to 90 mph and gusts over 100.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:57 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Hurricane Andrew hitting Florida
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	40932  
Old 05-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Platinum member

Sometimes it is just the sheer volume of rain that gets dropped. The ground gets saturated and more rain falls. I had a crepe myrtle tree fall over when the root ball became dislodged because the ground was so wet, the tree became top-heavy and fell.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 05-14-2014, 11:12 AM
Gold member

I lived 120 miles from the coast during Katrina so I guessed these guys would be safe

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

Oops

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.