2nd Wave??

Closed Thread
Old 10-17-2020, 07:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,151 Times in 888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Japan is certainly a different culture.....a culture of obedience. If the Japanese authorities ordered all their citizens to cover their ass with their left hand when walking out in public, that's exactly what you would see. They are a closed society and don't have the freedoms that we have.
In Japan "The nail that sticks up gets pounded down." Ever observe Japanese tourists following their guides at tourist destinations anywhere in Europe and elsewhere?

An American young man I know teaches physics at a high end South Korean high school. Early in the Pandemic when he, his wife and baby returned there from a stateside visit they had to endure a highly secure 14 day quarantine. They don't mess around over there.[/QUOTE]

Canada has a strict 14 day quarantine as well when entering the country. Up to a $1,000,000 fine if caught breaking the rule.

Last edited by La lamy; 10-17-2020 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Second quote not highlighted
Old 10-17-2020, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,592 Times in 3,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
So nice to see a post with someone with background, not just an armchair net searcher, or the person who has decided that they can analyze a person without a degree. Some will actually yell at you for your post, but I thank you
It also means there's more time for the vaccines to be developed. When your life (literally - life vs. death) relies on playing the waiting game. You need time to be on your side.

We know there'll be a vaccine, eventually. Will you be dead before we get it, or will you be able to get it? You have no control over whether or not you get sick. But you DO have control over the risks you take, or refuse to take, in order to increase your odds of not getting it.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:14 AM

Don’t think I’m interested in catching a virus that can kill you just for exposure. Stay home and stay safe. And listen to the scientists and medical community for pertinent information - the numbers don’t lie. And we can do what we want to do - just do it safely - and wear masks. Maybe some people don’t care about there fellow human beings - if they want to take a risk with their own lives that is their right. However, it is NOT their right to infect others and possibly cause death because of their recklessness!
Old 10-17-2020, 08:29 AM

Those who do not listen to or heed the science and refuse to wear a mask in public ,stores ,bars, restaurants etc. are super spreaders with little or no respect for their fellow citizens

Last edited by Skunky1; 10-17-2020 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 10-17-2020, 08:52 AM
Gold member

And who runs the Florida Dept. of Health? LoL
Old 10-17-2020, 09:00 AM

All of reputable scientists tell you that herd immunity will have to infect millions of people and kill at least a 2 Million for it to work, so as Dr. Fauci said "this is nonsense". I would not take my herd immunity cues from a radiologist rather than a virologist. There is only one person who has had the disease and promotes this; the one who was infected and treated with experimental drugs, remdesivir and steroids. Should have let it run its course? Well, everybody else should let it run its course.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:22 AM

I just left Wisconsin where it's starting to get bad. 1 out of 4 people tested are positive. Over 4000 daily cases, a lot in the Green Bay area. Ran out of hospital space so they opened a field hospital at the State Fair grounds in Milwaukee (which is 2 hours from Green Bay but probably easier to find staffing).

I expect the second wave will be way worse there than here in The Villages as people spend more time inside.

I don't quite understand the advocates of herd immunity. Presumably people needing hospitalization will go up significantly. You can only build and staff so many field hospitals.

I'll be visiting a friend with cancer at his house. I feel great but I will wear a mask out of respect for him, even though he won't ask me to. It doesn't cost me anything. Might even cut down on my snacking.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:30 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,380 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I know. If only someone had warned us that we should close down completely, nationwide, for just a couple of months - to prevent the onslaught for almost a year.

If only we had known...

Really? Close all of the supermarkets, doctors offices, gas stations, pharmacies? In the countries that locked down it is coming back. It was just impossible to stop it, the best we could do was slow it down.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,920 Times in 1,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayeight99 View Post
You have been bamboozled! The seasonal flu is just as serious. What about heart disease, cancer, etc. You can’t get outta this life alive. Enjoy it while you’re here. Chill! Turn off CNN and go for a hike, without your mask. Fresh air cures a lot of ailments. The people wearing masks touch their faces to adjust their masks 100 times more than without a mask. I thought we weren’t suppose to touch our faces? Unbelievable.
Nice word - bamboozled. Have not seen that one is about 25 years. Great to bring back the oldies. - - and I like all the rationalizations about the impotence of the CV Plague. That did not come out of the mouth of 99% of the qualified Doctors and medical experts. It must have come from some source of misinformation and propaganda. I wonder IF older people in TV Land REALLY realize that they are the most vulnerable to CV. And it has been said to Bob Woodward in tapes to be extremely dangerous. I wonder if they know that cases are almost 70,000 per day in the US and are predicted to go to 100,000 by January. Misinformation is everywhere. Much is sponsored by a country that was the enemy of the US during the cold war, which some have forgotten about, but is STILL going on. An easy way to drive a wedge between patriotic Americans is to divide them into 2 groups .....people that believe the warnings by top US Scientists about CV and the CV deniers. Create a propaganda effort to get Americans into 2 groups ....masked and non-masked. As you can see from the comments here on this local forum, that cold war enemy has succeeded!
Old 10-17-2020, 10:47 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Although it seems popular with some, I think I'll pass on the philosophy being pushed by certain people that - "It's your patriotic duty to become infected, or die, by Covid 19."
Old 10-17-2020, 11:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Japan is certainly a different culture.....a culture of obedience. If the Japanese authorities ordered all their citizens to cover their ass with their left hand when walking out in public, that's exactly what you would see. They are a closed society and don't have the freedoms that we have.
In Japan "The nail that sticks up gets pounded down." Ever observe Japanese tourists following their guides at tourist destinations anywhere in Europe and elsewhere?

An American young man I know teaches physics at a high end South Korean high school. Early in the Pandemic when he, his wife and baby returned there from a stateside visit they had to endure a highly secure 14 day quarantine. They don't mess around over there.[/QUOTE]
We have been "messing around" with a dangerous enemy. And still have NOT learned from other countries that have MUCH better solutions to CV. I would trade 2 weeks of being quarantined that S. Korea mandated for the FREEDOM of being free of CV and leading normal lives. Small price to pay. The US has suffered from dueling misinformation vs Science. S. Korea and other, successful against CV, countries have a society that values Science and spoke with ONE VOICE to its citizens. That is how to defeat CV. The US has (or had)the top economy in the world. It has the most top scientists and medical experts. Yet this knowledge and strength did NOT get transferred DOWN to ordinary people. There is no unified effort to fight this enemy. Just compare that to the effort to win WWII. WE have lost the fight against CV and History will remember this GREAT loss!!!!!!
Old 10-17-2020, 11:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Butch View Post
You must understand the mechanics of a virus. I was fortunate to work at the military medical school where lecturers from USAMRIID ( US Army Medical Research Institute for Infectious Diseases) regularly lectured. Viruses work their way through herds. We are a herd. One way or another you will be exposed to this virus. The masks and isolation are measures used to slow the virus. Not stop it. That way our medical capabilities will not be overtaxed thereby saving more lives. So sorry to break it to you! Your gonna get it! The questions are when and how severe you get it. Severity depends on the shape your immune system is in. Not conjecture here. Scientific fact.
This is a rationalization for denying the ability of people and countries to fight against the CV. It is fatalistic. At least, it is well worded and hints that Science agrees with that position and opinion. Science does NOT preclude people from reacting well to the emergency. This can be SIMPLY proved by comparing the reactions and outcomes of the US with other countries. Look at Canada's superior results on a per capita basis. Notice that all the top countries the world have universal health care. Oh yes, I forgot one top country does NOT have that superior (for the average citizen) healthcare. Can you guess which one is the outlier? Yes, it is the one with the worst per capita statistics.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsyburnsy View Post
All of reputable scientists tell you that herd immunity will have to infect millions of people and kill at least a 2 Million for it to work, so as Dr. Fauci said "this is nonsense". I would not take my herd immunity cues from a radiologist rather than a virologist. There is only one person who has had the disease and promotes this; the one who was infected and treated with experimental drugs, remdesivir and steroids. Should have let it run its course? Well, everybody else should let it run its course.
Good post, Kudos!
Old 10-17-2020, 11:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
Really? Close all of the supermarkets, doctors offices, gas stations, pharmacies? In the countries that locked down it is coming back. It was just impossible to stop it, the best we could do was slow it down.
Pessimistic and fatalistic and incorrect and unaware of the successes of other countries.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,017 Times in 4,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labanz View Post
Why in the beginning were we told not to wear masks? Because we needed to have enough masks for the medical staff! Why? Because they need to be protected! Ask a professional it certainly does help protect them.
In case you don’t know one I do, a life time hospice nurse, and yes it does help to protect the person wearing it. She can not believe how easily people fell for that line, “it protects others”!
I find it hard to believe that a "lifetime hospice nurse" could be so ignorant. Medical staff wears masks to protect THE PATIENT, not themselves. We wear them in the OR so as to not cough or sneeze (or drool) into an open body cavity. We wear them around immunocompromised patients so WE don't infect THEM. It has nothing to do with protecting ourselves. But glad to hear you KNOW a medical professional
Closed Thread

Tags
wave, start, hunkering, 2nd, lot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.