Advice

Closed Thread
Old 08-09-2022, 12:49 PM
Default Advice

In the same way that there are volunteers to help with tax returns, are there organizations or individuals that give advice on general financial planning or legal advice (to look at a simple contract with knowledge of Florida laws)?
Old 08-09-2022, 01:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,966 Times in 5,352 Posts

I would be very careful about getting free financial planning advice. You don't want to get advice from an insurance salesperson or a stock broker. The insurance guy will sell you an annuity and the stock broker will sell you high risk, high turnover stocks, or initial public stock offerings.
Old 08-09-2022, 01:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,318 Times in 5,471 Posts

How do you know the person really knows what he is doing?
Old 08-09-2022, 02:09 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,663 Times in 1,778 Posts

Stay away from any "advisor" trying to rope you into a reverse mortgage, too!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-09-2022, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,318 Times in 5,471 Posts

Sounds like you are trying to save money by having stuff done for free but in the long run it might be very expensive.
Old 08-09-2022, 03:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,327 Posts

OP, I agree with above, you want a LICENSED fiduciary, these people are required to put YOUR interests first. Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it and many times a lot less. We are still using or advisor (Ameriprise Financial) for back up North, he has done very well for us.
Old 08-09-2022, 03:45 PM
Gold member

Agree with the above. For a financial advisor most say go with a fee only planner, the commissions planners have a vested interest to sell you what they are currently pushing, whether that meets your needs or not.
Old 08-09-2022, 03:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,740 Times in 1,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbinga View Post
In the same way that there are volunteers to help with tax returns, are there organizations or individuals that give advice on general financial planning or legal advice (to look at a simple contract with knowledge of Florida laws)?
You get what you pay for. Free? Who knows what you'd be getting? I'd rather pay for sound advice than roll the dice on "free".
Old 08-09-2022, 06:05 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,913 Times in 3,716 Posts

There are Advocacy groups out there.
Google and do some work.
Many retired people willing to help others without payment.
Most are quasi-government groups.
Yes, be careful and check references.

A fiduciary is NO GUARANTEE.
It's just a person who studied.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:03 AM
Veteran member

Did you look to see if TV has a club that would meet your needs? You have to watch out for financial planners, fee paid or commission. What do they want to do? Sell you an annuity, insurance (long term), or investments? Even few paid they can direct you to something they make money on.
For legal questions, find a good lawyer and usually they have a free 30 min meeting to talk about your issue or they charge by the hour or charge flat rate for wills, etc..
For brokerage companies, I know a dozen friends that thought their broker was making them money or giving them the right advice because they were paying them. WRONG, the only person making money was the broker. I’m not saying ALL are like this, but a lot are: big established brokers and small 1’s.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:03 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Free financial planning is a bad idea. Reviewing a contract is not as bad, if the point is to explain what it means. But free contract analysis is also a problem if you expect advice.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:35 AM

The “free” tax assistance, at least through VITA, is run by volunteers who have to take a test and be approved by the IRS. My husband runs the program for a university. He spends hours annually in training and testing, as do the students he employs. My husband is a CPA and has an LL.M. in tax. If there is an error, a return may be corrected and refilled.

To my knowledge, there is no similar program for investments. Once you lose the money, it is gone.

Please see a professional who does not sell a product and you can pay by the hour. A good financial planner will look at your entire financial situation.

If you refuse to pay, please talk to many individuals and closely compare all suggestions before entrusting your money.

If you are talking about funds that you do not need to rely upon and are looking to have some fun with, there are plenty of firms - Edward Jones, Charles Schwab, etc. who can give some helpful advice and can help you decide what type of fund might be good for you.

If you rely on these funds, please seek independent, professional advice.

Melanie
Old 08-10-2022, 10:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,162 Times in 834 Posts

I and my wife are in a similar situation.
Our financial adviser and investments are still up north.

We gather our income tax information for them every year and they do our taxes.

It's a hassle because we copy everything, send it all up there through registered snarl mail, and it's getting very expensive.

In the future, I would like to file our taxes here in Florida using the no-cost tax filing service many our neighbor's use.

Last edited by Michael G.; 08-10-2022 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,966 Times in 5,352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
I and my wife are in a similar situation.
Our financial adviser and investments are still up north.

We gather our income tax information for them every year and they do our taxes.

It's a hassle because we copy everything, send it all up there through registered snarl mail, and it's getting very expensive.

In the future, I would like to file our taxes here in Florida using the no-cost tax filing service many our neighbor's use.
I would suggest that you scan the documents and put them on a thumb drive, your hard drive, or on the cloud. Or, you could save the scans to a PDF file and email it to your tax preparer.

Also, buy a copy of TurboTax and enter the information from your tax records into the program. It's very easy to do. If you want a double check, you can send the TurboTax program file or the PDF file from TurboTax to your tax preparer, and have them review the return and file it for you. Most tax preparers use TurboTax, or a similar tax software anyway.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,162 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would suggest that you scan the documents and put them on a thumb drive, your hard drive, or on the cloud. Or, you could save the scans to a PDF file and email it to your tax preparer.

Also, buy a copy of TurboTax and enter the information from your tax records into the program. It's very easy to do. If you want a double check, you can send the TurboTax program file or the PDF file from TurboTax to your tax preparer, and have them review the return and file it for you. Most tax preparers use TurboTax, or a similar tax software anyway.

Thanks Much, these are great options going forward.......
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, knowledge, contract, financial, simple

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.