Another golf cart accident...on Odell yesterday

Closed Thread
Old 06-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallory View Post
Not to speak officially for Lt. Wolfe but Sumter County's rationale is that it is generally better to be ejected from a golf cart rather than be crushed underneath it when it rolls over.

I'd love to see real stats on this from real world TV experience. Seems to me that most of the major injuries have happened due to ejections from the cart. I've yet to read about a crushed rolled over cart where the driver was saved because they were ejected. Maybe it has happened but I think the evidence is on NOT being ejected.

Remember, your government also says that it is perfectly safe for your grandchild's school bus to NOT have seat belts. Yeah, right.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

people didn't see the value in seat belts in cars when they came out either (hey russ hope you had an uneventful trip back home, good luck sellin' the house)....gn
Old 06-08-2011, 03:31 AM
Veteran member

I would have EVERY safety device on an LSV as I would be "swimming with sharks" (bigger vehicles). A regular Golf cart? I'd like to stay on the MM paths all the time but found that limiting and impractical. I'd love to have reinforced roll bars on my Yamaha too BUT I'd rather have all drivers execise MORE caution. We shouldn't be in a hurry we are RETIRED and supposed to be taking the time to smell the roses.... Show some courtesy of the road! Please the life you save may be MINE!

Does anyone know the count of golf cart accidents in any given year? Fatalities?

If wishes were fishes we'd all be swimming in the Ocean......

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Old 06-08-2011, 06:43 AM
Gold member

the latest POA bulletin says 10 fatalities in the last 5 years. I don't know how to post the links here, but someone will probably do it. Also says stats for accidents are very unreliable as many are single cart accidents and are unreported. Plus you'd have to go to at least 3 different law enforcement agencies to get the ones that ARE reported - Lady Lake Police, Sumter County sheriff and Marion County sheriff.

As we know, hard to find mention of most of these in the Daily Sun. Maybe if they did report them more fully, people would be more careful.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:47 AM
Sage

Here's the link:

http://www.poa4us.org/bulletins_file...etin201106.pdf

Bill
Old 06-08-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallory View Post
Not to speak officially for Lt. Wolfe but Sumter County's rationale is that it is generally better to be ejected from a golf cart rather than be crushed underneath it when it rolls over.
I think it would be very difficult or even impossible for a cart to actually flip completely over and land on its roof. Tipping over and landing on its side is much more probable.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

seat belt usage is not recommended for the reason that on a turnover, it's better to be ejected than the cart landing on top of you.

I don't know if I agree, but that's the rationale.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.