Another golf cart question

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Veteran member
Default Another golf cart question

SLAP me if this is too dumb of a question, but I was just wondering..........

if you're out & about in the golf cart and the daily monsoon hits, will you get soaking wet ?

And, is there any danger of lightening when you're rolling along in the storm ? :dontknow:
Old 07-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Another golf cart question

You will notice that most golf carts in the villages have enclosures that zip up and down as required for rain and cold days and nights. These work very well keeping you protected from the wind and rain. The issue with lightning is about the same as in a car possible a little more risky due to the fact that the cart is not a metal enclosure. Our storms pass rather quickly and I would suggest that if you get caught at the Square during a severe lightning storm that you use the opportunity to window shop or browse the shops or even take in a quick movie ;D
Handie :joke:
Old 07-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Gold member

ConeyIsBabe, as you know, I am not a resident, yet, and don't even own a golf car. However, I've seen them with heavy duty plastic enclosures that keep the rain out. I'm told that some even have a/c.
also, there was a thread recently regarding golf cars and lightning. Check it out via the "search" tab.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,701 Times in 606 Posts

I'm thinking it can't be fun to be driving in the rain, but I don't yet have a cart (nor am I down there) to know. Maybe someone who knows will reply.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:08 AM
Platinum member

Coney Island Babe,

You asked, "if you're out & about in the golf cart and the daily monsoon hits, will you get soaking wet ?"

Answer: most of us have covers. The soft side ones are a nuisance to roll down and up but it beats getting soaked.

Your second question: And, is there any danger of lightening when you're rolling along in the storm ?

Answer: Yes, a golf cart is not a safe haven from lightning.

JohnN said: "I'm thinking it can't be fun to be driving in the rain". It isn't John. Golf carts lack windshield wipers among other things. Also, most have two wheel mechanical brakes and wet brakes on wet roads makes sudden stops not so sudden.

DC
Old 07-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Veteran member

THANK y'all for the responses, so far. I know what Miami monsoon weather is like..... you can leave the house on a sunny summer day to go shopping, and on the way home get hit with the monsoon and flooding -- that is not unusual! Of course, in the car -- it's no big deal, however; there have been times when I had to pull over and stop driving cuz it was so dangerous to drive the car!!

I can only imagine what it would be like in a golf cart... driving to the square, or to go shopping ... and no safe haven if a normal thunderstorm comes up fast!

Is there ever any flooding on the roads in or around TV ???

This does not deter me from my desire to move to TV, I just like to know what to expect!
Old 07-10-2008, 12:37 AM
Platinum member

Babe,

In a torrential rain the gutters will fill with rain but I have never seen it fill a street.

Years ago a big subdivision (Deltona) was built out without enough thought to drainage and they are still having problems. It made a lot of developers gun shy and they pay a lot of attention to drainage. A subcontractor here told me The Villages developer made sure there was not going to be any drainage problems here.

DC
Old 07-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Eternal Member

If you get caught in a monsoon on the north side, you better slow down on the recreational trail that borders Buena Vista. There are some low spots that get 3-4 inches of water in them and if you are going any kind of speed at all, the water will come up through the hole for the brake pedal and give you a good spritzing.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.