Any Oscar-watch parties?

Old 03-04-2024, 05:28 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,979 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tustin714 View Post
Original poster here: I get that many don't care about the Oscars or go see movies with too many messages (Dune is the type of movie I'll go to ), but it's been a tradition in the family for decades to watch and "bet" on the outcome (movie candy prize), and my wife wants to keep that going with the adult kids, even if we're not around; they like the tradition as well.

We will be setting up internet for streaming TV the day we arrive but do not plan to have a subscription/app/cable with live TV, hence the inquiry.

Thanks anyway for the responses.
Keep the tradition alive.
Old 03-04-2024, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Keep the tradition alive.
I'm working on it. Worst case we might get an over the air antenna, but I hold out hope my wife might meet someone who is interested in watching -- I'll likely be playing pub trivia.
Old 03-04-2024, 06:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,807 Times in 5,291 Posts

Quote:
I'm working on it. Worst case we might get an over the air antenna, but I hold out hope my wife might meet someone who is interested in watching -- I'll likely be playing pub trivia.
I once bought an antenna at Best Buy for $15. It didn't get any channels, but I saved a lot of money.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:19 AM
Default Haven’t you noticed the awards don’t go to people who earned and deserve them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
You will find that most people here, including myself, have no interest in watching a bunch of pompous elitists give each other awards.
Perfectly stated my sentiments, and most people’s sentiments about Hollywood.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,627 Times in 954 Posts

If you plan to be a snowflake, get YouTube TV. You can watch live TV from home or your new place in TV.

I did not see any “movie clubs” in the villages (I only did a quick search).
But previous post is correct, you won’t find anything for an event that starts after 9PM
Old 03-05-2024, 06:03 AM

Quote:
My wife and I are arriving in a few days to close on our new home (!!!), only as snowflakes for a short while . This is quite a short visit and we're not setting up any live TV for it, just streaming (Roku device); none of our subscriptions include live TV. She looked around for any Villages-sponsored or -related Oscar events and didn't see any listed -- is anyone aware of anything happening? Thanks.
If you don’t find an Oscar’s party you can take advantage of a 1 week free trial offered by HULU, or YouTube TV. You can also download ABC to your TV.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:11 AM

Quote:
My wife and I are arriving in a few days to close on our new home (!!!), only as snowflakes for a short while . This is quite a short visit and we're not setting up any live TV for it, just streaming (Roku device); none of our subscriptions include live TV. She looked around for any Villages-sponsored or -related Oscar events and didn't see any listed -- is anyone aware of anything happening? Thanks.

Consider YouTube TV if you are going to be a snowbird/snowflake. It will travel with you, picking up local channels at your new location. One plan, watch everywhere.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:58 AM
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newyorkers View Post
WOW! I never thought of Barbie as a woke movie.
Did you see it? It absolutely was a man hating woke production…
Old 03-05-2024, 08:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Time difference is the main factor.
The Villages close at 9pm.
All in bed by 9.05pm!
HaHaHa.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Original poster here: I get that many don't care about the Oscars or go see movies with too many messages (Dune is the type of movie I'll go to ), but it's been a tradition in the family for decades to watch and "bet" on the outcome (movie candy prize), and my wife wants to keep that going with the adult kids, even if we're not around; they like the tradition as well.

We will be setting up internet for streaming TV the day we arrive but do not plan to have a subscription/app/cable with live TV, hence the inquiry.

Thanks anyway for the responses.
I must apologize for 'most' of the repliers to your post. Sadly, we theatre geeks are far and few between here in the friendly villages. I will be watching. Please pm me if you are interested...
Old 03-05-2024, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Most? Was there a poll?
you could use the responses here as a mini poll.......Kimmel hosting with his one-sided agenda is all I need to know.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:40 AM
Veteran member

Oscars? You mean the "mutual adoration society"?
I've never watched them......don't follow them .....totally disinterested.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:14 AM
Veteran member

The last good movie I saw was Sound of Freedom which Hollyweird tried to stop from being released.

Imagine trying to stop the release of a movie bringing awareness to human smuggling for sex.

I’ll be interested to see how low the viewership ratings are this year or how many diversity awards they give out.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:16 AM

I'd rather watch nose hair trimming.
Old 03-05-2024, 11:02 AM

(Thread starter here)
This has been an amusing time, and I can appreciate the various views; I love movies and wish the Oscars hadn't become so politicized. I did laugh at the comments about the ceremony starting after 9:00, and thought some might find it interesting that it's now starting at 4:00 West Coast time (I guess the East Coast dropped the hammer on the producers).

Anyway, particular thanks to Jann Carl for the kind offer to accommodate my wife, however, she'd found someone with whom to watch before I saw the message this morning.

Tags
short, live, aware, streaming, roku

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.