Impact fees

Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2007, 01:03 PM
Sage
Default Impact fees

Do you pay impact fees every time you buy new construction or do you only pay them only once in your lifetime?
I'm assuming that paying them once doesn't confer lifetime immunity.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts
Default Re: Impact fees

I'm planning a move next year to The Villages, so what do I know LOLOL, but I've read that impact fees are paid just once, and only for non-Florida residents buying new construction. What I don't know is how much they are.
I think it's several thousand dollars, but less than $10K.

Does anyone have more info on this topic?
Old 09-15-2007, 04:10 PM
Sage

I asked because I paid in Mar 06 when I bought my first home, then again in Dec 06 when I bought my second. Both were new construction. Based on that, I'm guessing that if you buy new, you pay..no matter how many times you buy new. It's not one fee per person per lifetime. I am a Fl resident now but wasn't when I purchased either home. I read something that made me think the fee was based on my environmental impact on the state. Now I think it's just another way to raise revenue.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Veteran member

So is the fee only applicable if you are not going to reside in TV permanently? I assume this is what I am reading.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Eternal Member

As far as I can tell, impact fees are on any new construction. Not additions but new buildings on new property.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:31 PM
Veteran member

Impact fees are tacked on to new construction, both commercial and residential. Doesn't make any difference if you are a Florida resident or not, everybody pays them. I actually believe they are tacked on to the developer or builder who merely passes on the cost to the ultimate buyer. Usually buried in the cost of the new home. They typically pay for schools and roads.

We currently live in Pasco county and there was some recent talk of a 25K impact fee being assessed against commercial property which ultimately raised a concern in the county about keeping businesses out of the county with such a fee. Current Pasco county impact fees on a new home are around $12,000 and they are considering a $3,900 increase. Wonderful!! Here's an article about it.

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/08/09/Pa...es_impac.shtml

Old 09-20-2007, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default I Posted This Reply On Another Similar Thread

I don't know which thread you were reading, so I don't know the specific context of your question. But typically "impact fees" are negotiated between a developer and the governmental unit (village, town, county, etc.) where the development will be constructed. Typically, they are costs to do things like widen roads, build a fire station, build a new school, etc. The theory is that those types of things would be necessary to serve new residents before the tax revenues from the development began to flow to pay for those projects. The impact fees are paid to the governmental unit "in exchange" for their approval of the development plan, change zoning if needed, and agreement to issue the necessary building permits.

Accordingly, impact fees become a cost to the developer which he must consider when establishing the prices for the buildings he intends to build and sell. They are definitely not a cost for out-of-staters only.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:49 AM

Doesn't the impact fees and the Villages CD Bond pay for the same items....roads, schools etc?
If yes, one might think homeowners are being double charged for the same infrastructure costs.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.