Anyone Home Sick Yet?

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2023, 09:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Love snow, shoveling 2am sometimes with rare lighting and thunder. The sparkling when the sun first comes up. I hate when snow is no longer pristine, slushy, and the county snowplow puts more snow back in your drive. Not a fan when temperatures are above 80. Heat has never been my friend
Snow is beautiful when it's falling and there are few things prettier than new fallen snow on a starry night.

But I do not miss driving in it, I do not miss heavy tree branches snapping or shoveling cars out only to have the snow plow come and plow them in again. I don't miss slippery sidewalks or dagger like icicles. I don't miss scraping ice off my windshield or waiting for the defroster to finally defrost so that I can see to drive. I don't miss heavy coats, snow boots or gloves.

I'll take 80+ degrees over ice and snow any day.
Old 01-24-2023, 05:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,612 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcoast View Post
Snow is beautiful when it's falling and there are few things prettier than new fallen snow on a starry night.

But I do not miss driving in it, I do not miss heavy tree branches snapping or shoveling cars out only to have the snow plow come and plow them in again. I don't miss slippery sidewalks or dagger like icicles. I don't miss scraping ice off my windshield or waiting for the defroster to finally defrost so that I can see to drive. I don't miss heavy coats, snow boots or gloves.

I'll take 80+ degrees over ice and snow any day.
You are like my other half, hates the snow, and loves being in TV year round. This will be my first summer in Florida, probably wishing I was watching the snow fall at 2am, with a deer sneaking up behind me.
Old 01-24-2023, 07:50 AM

60 Years in New England, loved it most of the time. Made a very good living and then retired. Sold 1 house, bought 1 here in TV. I enjoy the nice weather, golf and everything else Florida and TV have to offer. I don't miss New England one bit. Getting ready to sell the other house up north this year. I have "moved on", now I am a Florida resident and I love it. The old friends up north that say they couldn't move south, just want to die miserable in the gray, cold New England winter.
Old 01-24-2023, 09:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,803 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Causey View Post
60 Years in New England, loved it most of the time. Made a very good living and then retired. Sold 1 house, bought 1 here in TV. I enjoy the nice weather, golf and everything else Florida and TV have to offer. I don't miss New England one bit. Getting ready to sell the other house up north this year. I have "moved on", now I am a Florida resident and I love it. The old friends up north that say they couldn't move south, just want to die miserable in the gray, cold New England winter.
Just miserable in your mind. It never ceases to amaze me how people could live in one spot for 60 years and then go on to tell how horrible it is now because they are too old to deal with the seasons. I don’t live there but have traveled there and it was beautiful then. Has something horrible happened to it since then?
Old 01-24-2023, 07:17 PM
Veteran member

I didn't realize what a relief it was to be away from snow and ice until I was away from it. I've gotten to the point where I'm used to the hot Florida summers. Warm and sunny is nice.
Old 01-25-2023, 08:32 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
We can almost time the bleating every winter from all the old people how they can’t handle the snow anymore. I guess it was really means we would all rather be young again when we could handle any snow that came our way and life was exciting. Father Time is worse than any snowstorm I’ve seen.
My brain has not caught up to my body yet. I still "think" I am young.The bruises, cuts, broken bones are a reminder that my body often disagrees. Currently Nursing a busted knee from surfing (wanted to try it. Water is soft, how badly could it hurt? I failed to take the board, surprisingly hard board, into consideration.
Old 01-25-2023, 08:36 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Just miserable in your mind. It never ceases to amaze me how people could live in one spot for 60 years and then go on to tell how horrible it is now because they are too old to deal with the seasons. I don’t live there but have traveled there and it was beautiful then. Has something horrible happened to it since then?
It changes as we age. The cold hurts a bit more with arthritis. Past Surgeries ache in the Winter. Takes longer to recoup after shoveling. More difficult to drive in the snow due to aged eyes. I still love getting out of the shower with a fire going in the bathroom (very old home) as a winter storm howls outside. The crackle of the fireplace at night.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:20 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,803 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
It changes as we age. The cold hurts a bit more with arthritis. Past Surgeries ache in the Winter. Takes longer to recoup after shoveling. More difficult to drive in the snow due to aged eyes. I still love getting out of the shower with a fire going in the bathroom (very old home) as a winter storm howls outside. The crackle of the fireplace at night.
Exactly and thus the reason some old people enjoy the heat and can tolerate very hot summers. What is not clear is why some oldsters here trash the beautiful winter weather the younger crowd and some oldsters still enjoy.

I know lots of elderly people who wouldn’t think of moving to Florida because of the weather. They have great social networks, don’t have to shovel their own snow, have established Drs and medical facilities, faith communities that aren’t the size of Yankee stadium and so forth. Why can’t people just be happy for others?
Old 01-25-2023, 01:22 PM

We spent 20 yrs in TV and loved it until we needed help. I'm back in NH due to my husbands medical needs which were not available in TV and I love it. In fact I just walked down to the mail box and back. It is truly beautiful, temp is 33 and we are expecting some more light snow flurries this afternoon. We have under floor heating in our home and keep it at 76. We do not have to clear any snow, everything is done for us, our shopping is delivered and on Friday it will warm up again. My husband has excellent medical care .... it's all good. Be happy where you are and enjoy life.

Last edited by LuvNH; 01-25-2023 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,155 Times in 827 Posts

I came to Florida when I was in my late seventy's from the Midwest.
Retirement and Florida go together, but making a living in Florida, not so much.
I wouldn't care for the pay scale the south has to offer compared to the north.

So we all take our nest egg from the north, and spend it in the south.
A win win for the southland.
Old 01-25-2023, 06:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Having the only snow blower in the cul de sac, I really do not miss winter.
Did you really take a snow blower? A snow shovel, if you had the right kind is a manure shovel in Florida..
Old 01-25-2023, 06:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Exactly and thus the reason some old people enjoy the heat and can tolerate very hot summers. What is not clear is why some oldsters here trash the beautiful winter weather the younger crowd and some oldsters still enjoy.

I know lots of elderly people who wouldn’t think of moving to Florida because of the weather. They have great social networks, don’t have to shovel their own snow, have established Drs and medical facilities, faith communities that aren’t the size of Yankee stadium and so forth. Why can’t people just be happy for others?
People are people. We see it is the posts. We see it everywhere. Perhaps a human need for some to build themselves up by tearing others down.

No matter where there are good people, and miserable people. I for one know Ponce de Leon discovered Florida in search of the fountain of youth hum.
Closed Thread

Tags
home, sick

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.