Application Withdrawn!

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2015, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
Is it just me thinking .... I'm actually relieved there won't be 800 more houses on that corner. Does anyone other than myself think about our property values down the road and an overly developed community?
After the baby boomer generation is over, will there be a lot of our kids who have money to retire comfortably and afford a place like TV's? I'm not so sure about that. Just my thoughts ...
We will all be in the Village of Heavenly by then. The world will be run by others. Now is the day to dance.

I feel comforted as long as there is a Morse presence felt. I just worry about when the inmates try to run the asylum.

People will overspend on foolish things, deleting the beautiful flowers because it is too expensive, and use too much water, make it into a multi generational community. Decide they would like to see government housing where the golf courses are. Oh yes.

Glad to be here, alive and kicking right now with The Morses at the helm.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:53 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
As a villager that lives close to the proposed Wildwood development, I am somewhat glad that Wildwood has initially balked at the proposed development. IMHO, there are several issues that need to be addressed, as noted in the newspaper article, so now the 2 sides can sit down and discuss these. One of the biggest issues, I think, will be golf cart access, it appears that it will be very inconvenient for the proposed residents to get to Pinellas Plaza or Brownwood areas. The direct access between TV and Wildwood by golf cart would seem to be another sticking point. For example, most of the roads to the West of Powell and 462 do not appear to be suitable for golf carts, and even the newly redesigned 466a has a BYCYCLE lane, not a GOLF CART lane, so while the mayor wants access, it looks like this would just create a major safety issue.
Personally I lean more toward the mixed use concept, possibly with a strip mall of convenience shops (NO MORE BANKS), and some additional housing. These are already several facilities for the care of aging adults, so not sure if this would be needed at this location.
Since this appears to be a hot button, it would be interesting to see if the developer would have an open meeting with the TV community to get feedback from the residents regarding their concerns, and see if there is common ground between Wildwood, TV residents, and the developer.

These are just my humble opinion, please do not shoot the messenger.
Without saying whether or not I share villagetinker's opinion, I will say it is well said. I congratulate the messenger.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:55 AM

Just my opinion:
We need another 800 homes in this area like we need a hole in the head. This was a poorly conceived plan by the developer. Home owners in this proposed addition to The Villages would be essentially hemmed in with no golf cart access to other areas of The Villages and it's amenities or to nearby shopping.
Congrats to Wildwood officials for saying no to this atrocious proposal!
Old 04-28-2015, 08:58 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,782 Times in 3,648 Posts

Quote:
As a villager that lives close to the proposed Wildwood development, I am somewhat glad that Wildwood has initially balked at the proposed development. IMHO, there are several issues that need to be addressed, as noted in the newspaper article, so now the 2 sides can sit down and discuss these. One of the biggest issues, I think, will be golf cart access, it appears that it will be very inconvenient for the proposed residents to get to Pinellas Plaza or Brownwood areas. The direct access between TV and Wildwood by golf cart would seem to be another sticking point. For example, most of the roads to the West of Powell and 462 do not appear to be suitable for golf carts, and even the newly redesigned 466a has a BYCYCLE lane, not a GOLF CART lane, so while the mayor wants access, it looks like this would just create a major safety issue.
Personally I lean more toward the mixed use concept, possibly with a strip mall of convenience shops (NO MORE BANKS), and some additional housing. These are already several facilities for the care of aging adults, so not sure if this would be needed at this location.
Since this appears to be a hot button, it would be interesting to see if the developer would have an open meeting with the TV community to get feedback from the residents regarding their concerns, and see if there is common ground between Wildwood, TV residents, and the developer.

These are just my humble opinion, please do not shoot the messenger.

Thanks for sharing the issues at hand.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:58 AM
nkrifats

Glad to see Wildwood take a stand and not just roll over for the villages.
Does the Villages help the area. Yes.
Do they exercise too much control over Sumter County and the surrounding area. Yes I think so.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:11 AM

Any association with Wildwood changes The Village's demographics. We don't need a Village future that includes residents in a Village zip code with a propensity to riot, commit crime.. It is already happening in Brownwood and Spanish Springs
Be careful who you invite to the party...
Old 04-28-2015, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by keywest View Post
The mayor of Wildwood, in trying to dictate to The Villages and the Morse family, was involved in negotiations that were "way over his head". I believe the mayor's main fear was that he would lose his "job" in the city's next re-election... Well guess what?... He will... When Wildwood wakes up and realizes what they missed out on. The damage for them has already been done and IF AND WHEN they would want to re-open the negotiations with The Villages again ... it will never be at the same price or conditions originally offered to them.....IMHO....
I agree.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:15 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We will all be in the Village of Heavenly by then. The world will be run by others. Now is the day to dance.

I feel comforted as long as there is a Morse presence felt. I just worry about when the inmates try to run the asylum.

People will overspend on foolish things, deleting the beautiful flowers because it is too expensive, and use too much water, make it into a multi generational community. Decide they would like to see government housing where the golf courses are. Oh yes.

Glad to be here, alive and kicking right now with The Morses at the helm.

Excellent points. What too many folks seem to not understand is The Villages is a BUSINESS. It is not a city.

DEFINITION of 'Business Model'

The plan implemented by a company to generate revenue and make a profit from operations. The model includes the components and functions of the business, as well as the revenues it generates and the expenses it incurs.

I'm not sure where some got the idea that decisions about how to run this business that the Morse family built with their own money at RISK should lie with the residents. We as homeowners or renters are consumers who have purchased the product and services (amenities) that the business owner has created.

If someone buys a home in a subdivision anywhere and decide they do not like aspects of it, they can decide to live with it, work to change it, or move on. The difference between a home in a subdivision in a city and a home in The Villages is none of us live in the CITY OF THE VILLAGES. We live in a master development spread out over 3 counties and several towns. Yes, we live in Wildwood or Lady Lake or Fruitland Park (soon). Ever notice the police presence around us is Lady Lake police, Wildwood police, Sumter County sheriff, etc.?

Yes, I do love living in the business known as The Villages. The only consistent negative that I see is the incredibly small group of residents who seem to complain about everything and seem to believe they are ENTITLED to change the business model that they did not create.

As one wiser than most wrote, "Now is the day to dance" .

Old 04-28-2015, 09:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrifats View Post
Glad to see Wildwood take a stand and not just roll over for the villages.
Does the Villages help the area. Yes.
Do they exercise too much control over Sumter County and the surrounding area. Yes I think so.
Couldn't agree with you more. I have two children and their families that live in Sumter County and I hear that stance often from their in-laws. None of my children or their spouses work for any businesses that are supported or are in any way affiliated with anything "Villages." Neither are any members of their extended families. It is an interesting take when you have conversations with these folks because they often see TV impact much differently than many found on this forum.
I personally applaud the Mayor for not immediately rolling over and am convinced that this will be resolved with both sides satisfied in the end.

Dr. Seuss
Old 04-28-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Excellent points. What too many folks seem to not understand is The Villages is a BUSINESS. It is not a city.

DEFINITION of 'Business Model'

The plan implemented by a company to generate revenue and make a profit from operations. The model includes the components and functions of the business, as well as the revenues it generates and the expenses it incurs.

I'm not sure where some got the idea that decisions about how to run this business that the Morse family built with their own money at RISK should lie with the residents. We as homeowners or renters are consumers who have purchased the product and services (amenities) that the business owner has created.

If someone buys a home in a subdivision anywhere and decide they do not like aspects of it, they can decide to live with it, work to change it, or move on. The difference between a home in a subdivision in a city and a home in The Villages is none of us live in the CITY OF THE VILLAGES. We live in a master development spread out over 3 counties and several towns. Yes, we live in Wildwood or Lady Lake or Fruitland Park (soon). Ever notice the police presence around us is Lady Lake police, Wildwood police, Sumter County sheriff, etc.?

Yes, I do love living in the business known as The Villages. The only consistent negative that I see is the incredibly small group of residents who seem to complain about everything and seem to believe they are ENTITLED to change the business model that they did not create.

As one wiser than most wrote, "Now is the day to dance" .

Amen!!! Those who have never risked everything they own to follow a dream are all-too-eager to criticize those who do. Great post!
Old 04-28-2015, 09:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
<snip>Personally I lean more toward the mixed use concept, possibly with a strip mall of convenience shops (NO MORE BANKS), and some additional housing. These are already several facilities for the care of aging adults, so not sure if this would be needed at this location.<snip>
I think you are essentially describing Trailwinds Village, the mixed-use development that has already been approved by Wildwood. Trailwinds Village Property Overview
Old 04-28-2015, 10:09 AM
Veteran member

The mayor is "concerned" about trees, sidewalks, and land use. Maybe he should consider his own backyard; a stroll in downtown Wildwood reveals a treeless main street with lots of vacant storefronts, crumbling sidewalks, dusty parking lots, a plethora of resale, antique, auction, tire , used car lots, storage lots, and pawn shops. Upscale shopping at Tin Can Pam's followed by fine dining at the Oakwood Express. Then there is speedy quick road reconstruction, 1 1/2 mile takes more than 18 months and is still far from complete, and how many trees were chopped down for that? And what would Wildwood do with all that new $3.5 million to spend each year??? It must boggle their minds. And all the free entertainment in Wildwood's downtown park (no music, but watch the trains roll thru).
Politics is the name of the game, the heck with progress or "relatively clean" tax revenue. "Save my job"
Old 04-28-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdlfan View Post
Couldn't agree with you more. I have two children and their families that live in Sumter County and I hear that stance often from their in-laws. None of my children or their spouses work for any businesses that are supported or are in any way affiliated with anything "Villages." Neither are any members of their extended families. It is an interesting take when you have conversations with these folks because they often see TV impact much differently than many found on this forum.
I personally applaud the Mayor for not immediately rolling over and am convinced that this will be resolved with both sides satisfied in the end.
But I'm sure these "family members" don't complain when they come inside The Villages for some of their entertainment, shopping, eating etc.
Hmmmmm...............
Old 04-28-2015, 10:19 AM
Eternal Member

Absolutely right. Wildwood has very little to offer anyone. It has a couple of tearoom restaurants, a couple of barbeque joints, and just about nothing else. There are closed businesses on Main Street, the town looks just plain dirty, and there is a LOT of crime there, mainly drug related.

I know I am glad not to be living near the Wildwood edge - or any edge - of The Villages.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Excellent points. What too many folks seem to not understand is The Villages is a BUSINESS. It is not a city...
I agree with most of your assessment.

But while TV is definitely a business, it is also a CDD. To simply state that TV is a business and not a city is a bit simplistic. While a CDD is not technically a city, it is definitely more than just a business, and resembles a city in many ways.

Plus, whether it's technically accurate or not, I think most residents living here, shopping here, socializing here and having fun here would say TV much more closely resembles a city than just a business.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.