Areas of dead grass

Closed Thread
Old 10-03-2017, 05:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,168 Times in 1,929 Posts
Default Areas of dead grass

I can not believe, homeowners have been told by the DCC we should put our yard debris on our lawns near the roadway. Now that some of the clean up has been done along Morse, there are many areas of dead grass. Can you imagine all the dead grass the homeowners would have if we piled our yard debris on our lawns?

I still don't understand why the many small piles of debris along the main roadways were not consolidated into much larger piles. At least, then, there wouldn't be so many areas of dead grass. Seems like these dead areas are every 20 feet or so.

I know the Zoysia grass is hardy and actually very aggressive, but will these dead spots fill in at all? Are these dead grass areas going to need sod? Just wondering.

I know I will probably get bashed for "complaining" when so many people who have endured these natural disasters have it so much worse than we do here in The Villages. This is more of a concern than a complaint. I'm still waiting patiently, with all my bags of yard debris on my driveway so my lawn won't have a huge dead area in the front.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I can not believe, homeowners have been told by the DCC we should put our yard debris on our lawns near the roadway. Now that some of the clean up has been done along Morse, there are many areas of dead grass. Can you imagine all the dead grass the homeowners would have if we piled our yard debris on our lawns?

I still don't understand why the many small piles of debris along the main roadways were not consolidated into much larger piles. At least, then, there wouldn't be so many areas of dead grass. Seems like these dead areas are every 20 feet or so.

I know the Zoysia grass is hardy and actually very aggressive, but will these dead spots fill in at all? Are these dead grass areas going to need sod? Just wondering.

I know I will probably get bashed for "complaining" when so many people who have endured these natural disasters have it so much worse than we do here in The Villages. This is more of a concern than a complaint. I'm still waiting patiently, with all my bags of yard debris on my driveway so my lawn won't have a huge dead area in the front.
Patience grasshopper. This too shall pass.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

These areas of grass may have turned brown but it is unlikely they are dead. In a short time they will green up again. They have jurist been deprived of sunlight for awhile.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

Bogie is right. Again.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:20 PM
Sage

I do have patience. I just was concerned about the dead grass areas. I surely hope the grass is not really dead and will green up. Thanks for that answer.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:58 PM
Veteran member

Coffeebean, Take A Deep Breath & get a Good Night's Sleep.... OK
Old 10-04-2017, 04:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw14 View Post
Coffeebean, Take A Deep Breath & get a Good Night's Sleep.... OK
Thank you for your concern.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:16 AM
Veteran member

Large piles of debris can certainly kill grass if it is left on there for a month or so. It might be wise to move the pile to a new spot so the grass can start to recover rather than wait a few more weeks. The reason they want you to pile the debris on your lawn is that the FEMA approved contractor uses an iron claw to pick it up. It will scape and damage cement or blacktop. There was a large pile at Saddlebrook Rec Center parking lot that was removed recently. I saw it this morning and there were scapes all over the place. They don't want people to get upset if their driveways or the street gets damaged so they tell you to put it on the lawn. I know it will be a bit of work, but in order to save the lawn try to move it to a new spot. You asked an intelligent question and yes leaving debris on a lawn could harm it.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:25 AM
Sage

Now that someone has brought this up I was kind of wondering if leaving these piles of debris on painted driveways might create their own sort of problem. For instance the dampness causing the paint to peel or discolor. Just a thought that came to my mind when driving around seeing these piles all over. I do not know if this would cause a problem but was just wondering if anyone knows.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaz View Post
Stiuff snipped from OP. The reason they want you to pile the debris on your lawn is that the FEMA approved contractor uses an iron claw to pick it up. It will scape and damage cement or blacktop. There was a large pile at Saddlebrook Rec Center parking lot that was removed recently. I saw it this morning and there were scapes all over the place.
Thanks. I missed this in all the noise.

I still am at a loss why the normal yard waste pick up is not happening still.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
Thanks. I missed this in all the noise.

I still am at a loss why the normal yard waste pick up is not happening still.
I'm guessing it's because FEMA has a set of rules in place that they kind of like.... and they don't want to hear our 120,000 ideas to make it better.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaz View Post
There was a large pile at Saddlebrook Rec Center parking lot that was removed recently. I saw it this morning and there were scrapes all over the place.
It doesn't surprise me in the least that the equipment damages what ever pavement it touches to pick up the debris. I fully expect scrape marks as I had to deal with this in New Jersey every fall when clean up of the leaves was done. The machinery scraped up the streets and it was months before the scrape marks would go away. Then, come fall, the same thing happened all over again with the machinery scraping up the streets.

It would be great if we could get a time line of when "the claw" will be in our village. Then I will take all 12 bags and put them on our lawn so the driveway and street won't be scraped up. Now I'm wondering if the lawns are getting gouged with the claw. Can anyone tell us if that has happened when the debris was removed from their lawn?

The more I think about this.....I'm considering putting all my bags on my side yard next to the lanai and wait for the regular crew to pick them up. At least they don't use a claw and pick up the bags by hand, leaving no damage at all.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
It doesn't surprise me in the least that the equipment damages what ever pavement it touches to pick up the debris. I fully expect scrape marks as I had to deal with this in New Jersey every fall when clean up of the leaves was done. The machinery scraped up the streets and it was months before the scrape marks would go away. Then, come fall, the same thing happened all over again with the machinery scraping up the streets.

It would be great if we could get a time line of when "the claw" will be in our village. Then I will take all 12 bags and put them on our lawn so the driveway and street won't be scraped up. Now I'm wondering if the lawns are getting gouged with the claw. Can anyone tell us if that has happened when the debris was removed from their lawn?

The more I think about this.....I'm considering putting all my bags on my side yard next to the lanai and wait for the regular crew to pick them up. At least they don't use a claw and pick up the bags by hand, leaving no damage at all.
This was in an earlier thread that you were part of.... you must have forgotten!

RErmer

I watched the crew cleaner our street with great fascination. The operator was a precision artist with the claw. I couldn't hear any clanking of the claw on anything. And, one of the crew was actually picking up yard waste bags and grouping them together for the claw. No muss, no fuss, no leftover debris. Pretty amazing! Note- I lived in South Flordia for many years and any number of hurricanes, and have never seen cleanup so quickly or smoothly.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:

Here is the updated timeline as posted on Village Community Development Districts web site.
Hey, they will even send you an email every time the timeline is updated.....how neat is that?
Old 10-04-2017, 05:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
Now that someone has brought this up I was kind of wondering if leaving these piles of debris on painted driveways might create their own sort of problem. For instance the dampness causing the paint to peel or discolor. Just a thought that came to my mind when driving around seeing these piles all over. I do not know if this would cause a problem but was just wondering if anyone knows.
Geezzz-O-Pete, Don't put our yard debris on the Driveway......

I Put ALL of My 46 Bags on the Curb & on the Road (3 Deep). They will pick-um Up.........

Tags
dead, grass, areas, debris, yard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.