Attentions Veterans who served in Vietnam and surrounding areas.

Old 03-10-2024, 09:14 AM
Veteran member
Default Attentions Veterans who served in Vietnam and surrounding areas.

I served in Vietnam July 70 -July 71. Had desk job on flight line taking orders for airplane parts. Fast foreward to 2003 had prostrate cancer and had it removed with some side effects. Moved to the villages 2005 and got in the VA health system which was a small space in Laurel Manor. Started working at Publix and in 2009 a co-worker mentioned a fellow employee had passed and found out he was a Vietnam vet who died of Prostrate cancer and was getting a service connected amount every month because agent orange could be the cause of the cancer. Checked with the va and they sent me to Gainesville for tests. End result was rated 0% but given $100.00 a month for losing a reproductive organ, but even though I was at 0% was given free glasses and hearing aids for life. This past October got a call and case worker looked at my medical records and was surprised I was rated 0%. Program called Pact Act expanded areas of coverage and also found out they recently added hyper tension (high blood pressure), and hyper thyroid ism to agent orange. Bottom line went to 3 exams and now rated at 30% which between the reproductive organ and 30% comes out to $715 a month non taxable. If you have any questions call your local veterans service officer which for me was Robert if you live in Sumter county. Any questions let me know.

Old 03-10-2024, 09:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN View Post
I served in Vietnam July 70 -July 71. Had desk job on flight line taking orders for airplane parts. Fast foreward to 2003 had prostrate cancer and had it removed with some side effects. Moved to the villages 2005 and got in the VA health system which was a small space in Laurel Manor. Started working at Publix and in 2009 a co-worker mentioned a fellow employee had passed and found out he was a Vietnam vet who died of Prostrate cancer and was getting a service connected amount every month because agent orange could be the cause of the cancer. Checked with the va and they sent me to Gainesville for tests. End result was rated 0% but given $100.00 a month for losing a reproductive organ, but even though I was at 0% was given free glasses and hearing aids for life. This past October got a call and case worker looked at my medical records and was surprised I was rated 0%. Program called Pact Act expanded areas of coverage and also found out they recently added hyper tension (high blood pressure), and hyper thyroid ism to agent orange. Bottom line went to 3 exams and now rated at 30% which between the reproductive organ and 30% comes out to $715 a month non taxable. If you have any questions call your local veterans service officer which for me was Robert if you live in Sumter county. Any questions let me know.
Be sure to check out the property tax exemptions that are available to veterans. The $5000 disable veteran exemption but more importantly the disable veterans homestead property tax discount, which is an actual discount off your taxes base upon your combat related disability percentage. I would assume your veterans service office mentioned this, as they were the ones that got us set up on this.

Old 03-10-2024, 10:07 AM
Veteran member
Default Property tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
Be sure to check out the property tax exemptions that are available to veterans. The $5000 disable veteran exemption but more importantly the disable veterans homestead property tax discount, which is an actual discount off your taxes base upon your combat related disability percentage. I would assume your veterans service office mentioned this, as they were the ones that got us set up on this.
Yes I went to the tax assessor office and took care of that. 30 per cent off your property taxes

Old 03-10-2024, 12:04 PM
Gold member

I was in the Tonkin Gulf on the USS Kitty Hawk during the war. I was told I probably came into contact with Agent Orange while on that aircraft carrier. Now I've had numerous surgeries due to skin cancer. But, the VA does not approve this for any kind of compensation.

Old 03-10-2024, 01:30 PM
Veteran member
Default Recently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
I was in the Tonkin Gulf on the USS Kitty Hawk during the war. I was told I probably came into contact with Agent Orange while on that aircraft carrier. Now I've had numerous surgeries due to skin cancer. But, the VA does not approve this for any kind of compensation.
Have you reapplied recently?

Old 03-11-2024, 08:43 AM
Gold member

I'll look into it again. Maybe things have changed.

Old 03-11-2024, 08:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Thank you for your service sir! Godspeed

Old 03-12-2024, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
I'll look into it again. Maybe things have changed.
Yes do check it out. They add more conditions as more is known about how it affects the body. I think there around a dozen or so now.

Old 03-12-2024, 06:56 AM

I have had numerous battles with skin cancer resulting in my dermatologist suggesting to the va that there is a connection to my service in Vietnam ---The va turned the claim down stating that is not a presumptive condition and that there is no conclusive proof that there is a connection between agent orange and skin cancer ---Although they are paying me for my thyroid problem and throat cancer
which leads me to believe that there is a connection ----But u can not fight city hall

Old 03-12-2024, 07:38 AM
Default Care giver

Quote:
Many Vietnam era veterans records were destroyed in a fire where they were stored . If 100 % disabled , in Illinois they get a 100 % exemption on realestate taxes and the VA will pay $1600 a month to the in home care giver possibly spouse and a $3000 a month check for a service related
disability .

Old 03-12-2024, 07:40 AM
Veteran member

To the best of my knowledge, if you were in the U.S. Navy in Vietnam, and are looking for VA benefits for any condition presumed to be caused by Agent Orange, you must prove that you were within 12 miles of the coast of Vietnam.

Old 03-12-2024, 08:47 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

For all Vietnam veterans and others that served during those difficult times anywhere in the would, we say welcome home! Our Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 1036 in the Villages is the 3rd largest VVA chapter. We welcome all veterans of that time period to attend our meetings at Lake Miona Rec Center the first Tuesday of every month at 7PM. At every meeting, we have a table setup to help veterans with their VA issues. So, please come to ask for help if needed and share your stories of your service to the USA.

http://vva1036.org

Old 03-12-2024, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,460 Posts

Quote:
I don’t get connection working in office to agent Orange?

Old 03-12-2024, 08:56 AM
Veteran member
Default Everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I don’t get connection working in office to agent Orange?
Agent orange was in the whole atmosphere, they presume anyone in Vietnam could of been affected, jungle or office.

Old 03-12-2024, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Thank god our government is there to help us out!

Tags
rated, month, vietnam, cancer, agent

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.