Banking Problem with Social Security

Closed Thread
Old 01-07-2024, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,804 Times in 5,292 Posts

If the check that was paid and then returned was for the November payment, the heirs will still receive the money. It will just take a little longer to get it from SSA. The point is that SSA cannot send money to a deceased person. A deceased person cannot cash a check, but someone else could illegally seize the money.
Old 01-07-2024, 10:00 AM
Default Paltry $255?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msilagy View Post
Paltry $255 is beter than 0.
Don't blame the SSA. Blame Congress, it hasn't been increased in decades.
Old 01-07-2024, 11:36 AM
Veteran member

Short story I was the Power of Attorney for my uncle who was in a retirement home in Fort Myers.
I would made all payment from his checking account but within 48 hours of his passing his account was closed.
I had more than enough money, so I could pay for his funeral.
But since I live in TV, I had to petition the courts in Fort Meyers to get reimbursed.
Which was a process.
This happened so quickly I never had the chance to inform the bank or social security.
The way it seemed, they knew he was gone before I did.
Old 01-07-2024, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Why did your friend tell the bank of his wifes pssing.

Now i ask…how many people in tv land hve collected ss from a deceaased spouse before they remembered to tell the ssa the spouse died?
Actually there’s a computer death record match that occurs in time. I strongly recommend that spouses and families don’t do what you’ve said. I was a federal agent who prosecuted people for doing this.
Old 01-07-2024, 12:03 PM
Location: Formerly resided in southeast Wisconsin; now in the village of Winifred

The OP state DOD was December 8th.
Old 01-07-2024, 12:07 PM
Default SS paymnets

Quote:

Now i ask…how many people in tv land hve collected ss from a deceaased spouse before they remembered to tell the ssa the spouse died?
the funeral home notify the agency of the passing
Old 01-07-2024, 12:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird45 View Post
Short story I was the Power of Attorney for my uncle who was in a retirement home in Fort Myers.
I would made all payment from his checking account but within 48 hours of his passing his account was closed.
I had more than enough money, so I could pay for his funeral.
But since I live in TV, I had to petition the courts in Fort Meyers to get reimbursed.
Which was a process.
This happened so quickly I never had the chance to inform the bank or social security.
The way it seemed, they knew he was gone before I did.
A Power of Attorney ends as soon as someone dies. A person with POA cannot legally withdraw any money from the deceased's account.
Old 01-07-2024, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Don't kid yourself - Social Security knows of a person's passing in LESS than 24 hours and THEY notify the bank. I've had 3 personal experiences with this fact!
Old 01-07-2024, 03:16 PM
Veteran member

I am aware of that what amazed me was the swiftness of the bank closing the account.
Old 01-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Default GREAT topic but differing opinions leaves me confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
A friend of mine lost his wife December 8th.
On the 3rd. week in December, (her social security payment date) it wasn't posted in her check book
so he thought it was because she passed in December.

I said not true, she should have received her November S/S payment in December regardless.
He check w/S/S office and found out I was right.
All S/S payments are paid from the previous month.

His bank took the privilege of stopping that December payment.
What a crock.

S/S had to send a form to his bank for the November back payment.

Now people in tv land I need to ask:
"How many people don't understand and lost out of billions of $$$$ on their spouse's
S/S check thinking no payment is paid on the month of passing??"
Hey All, this is a great subject matter but I'm left confused by the responses. Core question... Does the SS check received in the month of my death need to be returned to the SSA? It is my understanding that the check I receive on the 4th Wed of the month is actually payment for the next month. So if I die in January, the January check received should be returned. Do I have that right? But if I die on or after Feb 1, that check received in Jan can legally become part of my estate. Is that correct?
Old 01-07-2024, 08:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca9800 View Post
Hey All, this is a great subject matter but I'm left confused by the responses. Core question... Does the SS check received in the month of my death need to be returned to the SSA? It is my understanding that the check I receive on the 4th Wed of the month is actually payment for the next month. So if I die in January, the January check received should be returned. Do I have that right? But if I die on or after Feb 1, that check received in Jan can legally become part of my estate. Is that correct?
Any check received after a person dies must be returned to the SSA, regardless of which month it was payment for. A deceased person cannot legally receive or cash a check, so it must be returned. The heirs may have a claim for additional money from SSA, but it cannot come from money sent to a deceased person's bank account. That is the law.
Old 01-07-2024, 09:08 PM
Default From AARP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Any check received after a person dies must be returned to the SSA, regardless of which month it was payment for. A deceased person cannot legally receive or cash a check, so it must be returned. The heirs may have a claim for additional money from SSA, but it cannot come from money sent to a deceased person's bank account. That is the law.
"Say your spouse received her benefits on May 9 and died on May 30. Her family or her estate is entitled to keep the payment that arrived on May 9 because it was for April’s benefits. In fact, they would be entitled to keep that money even if she had died the day before it arrived — again, because that payment was for April’s benefits.

But her survivors are not entitled to keep the May benefit scheduled to arrive in June, even though she was alive for all but one day of May. She was not alive for the entire month, and for benefit purposes that is the determining factor. If that May payment is made because Social Security was not notified promptly of the beneficiary’s death, it will have to be returned."
Old 01-07-2024, 09:42 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,345 Times in 609 Posts

So if you die on November 30, you don’t get any SS money for November? Even though you have to pay food, utilities, and amenity fees for the entire month.

I would think it would be prorated.
Old 01-07-2024, 09:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
So if you die on November 30, you don’t get any SS money for November? Even though you have to pay food, utilities, and amenity fees for the entire month.

I would think it would be prorated.
As I understand it, it is not prorated. If you die on November 30, you don't get anything for November. It may not be fair, but that is the way it works.
Old 01-07-2024, 10:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca9800 View Post
"Say your spouse received her benefits on May 9 and died on May 30. Her family or her estate is entitled to keep the payment that arrived on May 9 because it was for April’s benefits. In fact, they would be entitled to keep that money even if she had died the day before it arrived — again, because that payment was for April’s benefits.

But her survivors are not entitled to keep the May benefit scheduled to arrive in June, even though she was alive for all but one day of May. She was not alive for the entire month, and for benefit purposes that is the determining factor. If that May payment is made because Social Security was not notified promptly of the beneficiary’s death, it will have to be returned."
The survivors may be entitled to the April benefits, but they cannot remove money from the deceased's account. The money is returned to SSA, and the heirs can apply for the April benefit. It doesn't matter when the death was reported to the SSA, the April benefit is available to the heirs, but there is no benefit available for May. Note that, if the deceased received the money on June 9 and spent it or gave it to someone before death, the money would not need to be returned. But, no one can remove money from the account of a deceased person. Again, there is no SSA benefit for the month in which someone dies. It is not prorated.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 01-07-2024 at 10:15 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
payment, december, s/s, check, bank

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.