BEWARE !!!!!!!! Credit Card Compromised

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2014, 05:12 PM
Default BEWARE !!!!!!!! Credit Card Compromised

We just found out today two of our credit cards were compromised at the Circle K/ Shell Gas station on 466 & 3431 Southern Trace Dr. I call the manger of the station but he hasn't returned my call. I just wanted to pass this information out so you all can be aware of what is happening at this gas station.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdills View Post
We just found out today two of our credit cards were compromised at the Circle K/ Shell Gas station on 466 & 3431 Southern Trace Dr. I call the manger of the station but he hasn't returned my call. I just wanted to pass this information out so you all can be aware of what is happening at this gas station.
How did you learn that this station was involved?
Old 09-10-2014, 05:37 PM
Default Credit cards

This is the only place we used both of our cards on this day at the same time, the person started charging our cards the next day. The funny thing is the one card we haven't used in almost 2 months.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:42 PM

May i ask you if you used the outside machine at the pump or used the cards inside? I've always been leery of using the outside credit machines and I have used those machines at that location just recently.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:54 PM

Yes that is where it happened
Old 09-10-2014, 06:11 PM

My worst experience with my credit cards was at a McDonald's in New York City. I should have questioned it when the Mickey D clerk looked at my 3-digit number on the back. They didn't get my card, but used my number to purchase almost $500 worth of stuff at local stores, including at a parking lot. It cost me nothing except I had to change my credit card number and notify a ton of automatic bill payees and, of course, forgot about a few till later. I no longer use my credit cards at McDonald's.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:31 PM

I read somewhere that you can get a secure credit card with a max limit of $300 - $500 and no more for use in restaurants and gas stations. Does anyone know which bank offers these? It seems there is an inordinate amount of this kind of fraud around TV. We had this happen to us once already when we used a card at a local restaurant and started to use cash only afterwards. It is such a shame.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:47 PM

If everyone starts using cash maybe the credit card companies will finally make some changes. Just stop at the banks ATM machine before going out to dinner, getting gas, etc.etc. That is what we started to do because of all the fraud. Prior we used the credit card for everything. I hope the card company calls and ask why we don't use it anymore.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbear View Post
I read somewhere that you can get a secure credit card with a max limit of $300 - $500 and no more for use in restaurants and gas stations. Does anyone know which bank offers these? It seems there is an inordinate amount of this kind of fraud around TV. We had this happen to us once already when we used a card at a local restaurant and started to use cash only afterwards. It is such a shame.
Just do a google for secured credit cards. They require a cash deposit and that deposit becomes the amount of your credit line.

Another less complicated approach is to buy gift cards and use those at gas stations. They can still be cloned but it would require a scanner that has been rigged.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkh View Post
If everyone starts using cash maybe the credit card companies will finally make some changes. Just stop at the banks ATM machine before going out to dinner, getting gas, etc.etc. That is what we started to do because of all the fraud. Prior we used the credit card for everything. I hope the card company calls and ask why we don't use it anymore.
Start an online petition to induce Visa and Mastercard to move quickly to the chip embedded cards such as Europe has had for a long time. They are more secure.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,635 Times in 1,354 Posts

Our new amx has a chip.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:52 PM

Thank God for the good folks at Chase. We had our credit card number stolen a month or so ago, they called us after a number of charges were made, several over $2000 on our card for fuel and Bed Bath and Beyond!!!
Old 09-10-2014, 07:58 PM
Veteran member

Our chip embedded card was compromised last week. So, I don't think that is the answer either.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:04 PM

I don't know for sure but I don't think the card readers can read the chip in embedded cards yet.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:15 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

About RIFD credit cards:
RFID Credit Cards, Consumer Reports

Risks of 'swipe and go' credit cards - identity theft - MSN Money

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.