Bicycles

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2014, 08:40 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach
Default Bicycles

I have nothing against bicyclists and think it is a great form of exercise for many. I have however recently seen a few problematic situations involving bikes. First, I was under the impression that bikes were supposed to be ridden on the multimodal paths, but have seen riders on Buena Vista, which seems very dangerous to me, causing traffic to either slow dramatically or swerve into the other lane to pass. I saw a cyclist on Morse go the wrong way on a traffic circle to make a left turn - extremely dangerous! I followed another on Canal this morning when we came to the light at ODell which was red, they stopped and when traffic was clear, made a left turn against the red light. I fear for the lives of those that ride this way, and for the cars that may encounter them.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:45 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Actually, riding on the street is safer than the multi-modal paths if you're an experienced rider with a bike that can go a reasonable speed. Bicyclists are supposed to follow all rules of the road and this is where there are major issues -- they just don't. For some reason, they think they are exempt because it is a royal pain to get back up to speed or just to keep the momentum going. So, going the wrong way, making illegal turns, running through stop signs seems to be the norm, not just here but in most parts of the country where bicycling is common. (Drive around Boulder, CO, and you'd think there are no road laws.)

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-17-2014, 04:06 AM
Veteran member

I agree, but that would apply to all vehicles,,, How many times I see cars, carts, motorcycle do the same excat thing. Do not stop,,, speed along with alot of other things... Cars trying to drive the cart tunnels and so on...

While it is a problem, everyone is doing it. This coud turn into a thread on bashing cyclist when not all do it,, same with cars and so on...

Point is everyone needs to obey the rules of the road,,, just like the 3 foot rule.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryW View Post
I agree, but that would apply to all vehicles,,, How many times I see cars, carts, motorcycle do the same excat thing. Do not stop,,, speed along with alot of other things... Cars trying to drive the cart tunnels and so on...

While it is a problem, everyone is doing it. This coud turn into a thread on bashing cyclist when not all do it,, same with cars and so on...

Point is everyone needs to obey the rules of the road,,, just like the 3 foot rule.
I don't disagree, but I think the concern is that car and cart drivers have at least a modicum of protection around them, but a bicyclist, not so much. So an encounter with another vehicle has the potential for a very negative outcome. I think it would behoove bicyclists to be even more careful about following the rules of the road since some other drivers are not.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
I don't disagree, but I think the concern is that car and cart drivers have at least a modicum of protection around them, but a bicyclist, not so much. So an encounter with another vehicle has the potential for a very negative outcome. I think it would behoove bicyclists to be even more careful about following the rules of the road since some other drivers are not.
Unfortunately many people believe that "it won't happen to me" and don't change behaviors until it is too late. This could be bicyclists, golf cart drivers, car drivers, etc. Not to hijack the thread, but look how many people STILL text and drive despite the warnings and multitude of examples of the negative consequences.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:56 AM

As a recreational bike rider (Mary and I met through the bike club and always ride with the club - not solo) it has been my experience that the club rider's are Very safety conscious. I have never witnessed a rider going the wrong way in a traffic circle(!). That sounds like a great way to die!! Frankly, we are ALL aware that if it comes to a duel with a car ... we'll LOSE, so we tend to be Very defensive rider's.

We always ride single file and tend toward the right half of the travel lane (if you hug the extreme right side of the roadway you will encounter more gravel/drainage grates, crumbled pavement, and debris that can actually cause the rider to slip or fall). By the same token it has been my experience that if you don't remain in the right half of the roadway, passing vehicles are less inclined to move to the other lane, which makes passing a biker even more problematic.

Every "club ride" has a leader and a "sweep" (the last person in the bike line). The leader/sweep communicates with the other riders in the group. In the Sumter Landing Bike Club the leaders/sweeps actually have a training session before they're approved to lead groups. I think it's Great, and having folks that are trained helps a great deal to keep thing rolling along smoothly. Example: if the group of 4-10 riders is about to change lanes for an upcoming turn or traffic circle - it helps to have the sweep call: "Change lane," and everyone makes the move in tandem rather than willy-nilly and taking-up both lanes.

Club rides are even grouped according to rider abilities regarding distance and speed. (In my mind, I probably aspire to be one of the fast "A" rider's; but in my heart I know I will be forever relegated to the "C" group. Such is Life.)

I am not aware of club riders blowing-through a stop light; again, that sounds like a great way to have an accident. By the same token, at a stop sign (particularly in rural or remote area), I have been known to not come to an absolute FULL stop - but I will ALWAYS slow to a 'creep and look for traffic. Again, I don't want to be anyone's hood ornament! As a ride club rule, we don't call "Clear" (some clubs do...but not SLBC) at intersections. We rely on individual riders to look-for-themselves, and only cross the intersection or roadway when it's clear.

I realize that bike riding seems to be a source of concern (hate...amongst some) but bikes really CAN coexist harmoniously with other vehicles. If you have some questions, I urge you to come to a monthly club meeting (7PM, first Monday of each month at Eisenhower Rec Center). You will hear presentations/discussions on ride events, safety, volunteerism, safety, bike maintenance and upkeep, safety, "away" rides, safety, and guaranteed to meet some really nice folks. Ooh ... did I mention that we sometimes talk about safety and road courtesy issues??

Best,
Casey

Last edited by caseycasebeer; 03-17-2014 at 09:04 AM. Reason: spelling corrected....
Old 03-17-2014, 09:38 AM
Sage

Once again, it's not that we "hate" bicyclists. What we WOULD hate is to accidentally hit and mangle/kill one because they often behave like cars and trucks are irrelevant to their "right" to be on the road. They seem to want their tombstone to say "I was RIGHT!".

And yes, I have seen bicyclists do deadly things in a roundabout on Morse or Buena Vista....like coasting into the circle in the outer right lane beside me, and then incompetently oozing over to the left lane in front of me in my car, to turn left.

And then twice one day a couple of weeks ago, coming south on BV from 466, a racing bike rider sped into the circle at my 3:00, entered in the right lane near me, and then as he got to 1:00 or so he ZOOMED LEFT in front of me to get ahead of me and another car in the inner lane, so he could speed out of the circle at my 12:00 in the left lane! He exited in the left lane going south, to stay ahead of us cars!

It's like some bike riders have a death wish. But we don't want to be the poor suckers that make it happen, accidentally, just because they're daredevils.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:27 AM
Sage

A car will always have the right of weight.

Seriously, I have concerns about this too, as I don't want to be the one who, takes a life. I wouldn't be ble to live with myself.

We all should share the road, but I have witness some bycicle riders, taking unecssary chances.

Kudo's to those, who follow the rules, and are safety concious.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-17-2014, 02:38 PM

This subject has been covered many times and, certainly, will be many more times in the future. To get back to one of the issues that the OP raised, cyclists on the roads (rather than the multimodal paths) they are allowed to be on the roads. They are required to stay to the right most part of the lane that is practical (not possible, as some believe). This allows for the ability to avoid road hazards on the edges of roadways. In the case of substandard lanes (i.e. those under 13 feet in width) the cyclist may take the lane. The reason for this is that in substandard lanes it is not possible for a bike and a motor vehicle to share the lane and still provide at least 3 feet of clearance for the cyclist. Many of the lanes in and around TV are substandard. So, if you are driving and see a biker taking the lane, he may not just be a jerk, he may be riding in a way to be most safe, under the road conditions. The applicable laws are in the Florida Uniform Traffic Control Law chapter 316.

As far as cycling scofflaws go, they are just as wrong as various scofflaws of other transportation, with an additional issue. Their behavior puts them at much greater risk of injury or death. Fortunately, most bike riders don't ride irresponsibly, nor do most drivers drive irresponsibly. But, for those significant exceptions, we all need to travel defensively. Have fun out there everyone, but be safe.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.