Bicycles on major roads

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 01-20-2015, 04:14 PM
Bizdoc Bizdoc is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Village of Fernandina
Posts: 795
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

They may have a right to be on the road, but... they don't have a right to be stupid. Saw a recumbent out at 6 am this morning, no lights or reflectors (except the silly little flag) and the rider chatting on his cell phone as he blew thru the stop sign. Hope his life insurance is paid up.
  #17  
Old 01-20-2015, 04:19 PM
Paper1 Paper1 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,067
Thanks: 2
Thanked 70 Times in 23 Posts
Default

I've only been riding "road bikes" for 8 years not counting as a kid, but have owned and driven motorcycles for over 40 years so I do have some experience sharing the road with cars. Many of the posts on this thread and the one that ran a couple weeks ago remind me of the old guy that used to sit out on his porch at night to see if he could catch us kids cutting across his lawn. Rolling stops is a big one mentioned. I paid very close attention during a couple hundred miles of riding and never saw a car come to a complete stop at a right hand turn unless something was coming or someone stopped in front of them. I saw many continue to go after light has changed red. I have to disagree with my fellow bicycle club member about bike riders being the problem. My advice for those driving cars and come onto a bicycle, even one going slow is try easing your foot off the gas slightly until you can safely pull to the left a little and pass. In all fairness I ride many miles on Morse and Buane Vista and the overwhelming percentage of drivers do share the road and I don't believe I've ever made anyone late for an important engagement.
  #18  
Old 01-20-2015, 04:22 PM
ratz1 ratz1 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default The thing is....

Here's the thing

I drive a car; and I ride one of those crazy low bikes and a really fast one. I've been riding for over 35 years all over the world; logging 3000-4000 miles a year.

There are good bikers and there are good car drives; there are also bad ones of both, Some disturbingly bad. My personal goal is to be a good one of both.

On my bike that means bright lights, predictable behavior; avoiding dangerous areas when feasible etc etc. Cops always complement my lights and visibility. The cops that know me have come to my defense when harassed by bad motorists; I like to think I've earn that protection by doing thing the right way.

In my car; I don't use my cell phone, yes like everyone else I use to for years; now I just don't do it I have learned. I'm always amazed at the number of people on their phone 2 seconds after pulling out of the drive way. Not me, I pay attention and I drive to the best of my abilities.

If I screw up on my bike I put myself in harms way; and in most cases just me unless I'm a complete moron. If I screw up in my car I put everyone else at risk think 99 car pile up in Michigan.

You can't stop stupid behavior of others; but you can avoid it yourself. That's really the best approach to go for. If you hit a bike because the rider was truly at fault then it's their fault. If you hit one because you were careless and at fault; you have to live with the fact that the biker probably will not....

Sadly everyone assumes the biker was at fault; and many of us our working hard to make sure that becomes less and less true.
  #19  
Old 01-20-2015, 04:40 PM
PaPaLarry PaPaLarry is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: From New Hampshire Live in Caroline
Posts: 1,323
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper1 View Post
I've only been riding "road bikes" for 8 years not counting as a kid, but have owned and driven motorcycles for over 40 years so I do have some experience sharing the road with cars. Many of the posts on this thread and the one that ran a couple weeks ago remind me of the old guy that used to sit out on his porch at night to see if he could catch us kids cutting across his lawn. Rolling stops is a big one mentioned. I paid very close attention during a couple hundred miles of riding and never saw a car come to a complete stop at a right hand turn unless something was coming or someone stopped in front of them. I saw many continue to go after light has changed red. I have to disagree with my fellow bicycle club member about bike riders being the problem. My advice for those driving cars and come onto a bicycle, even one going slow is try easing your foot off the gas slightly until you can safely pull to the left a little and pass. In all fairness I ride many miles on Morse and Buane Vista and the overwhelming percentage of drivers do share the road and I don't believe I've ever made anyone late for an important engagement.
I agree, bikes have the right to be on roads throughout The Villages. I assume, these people know what they are doing, and are just as scared, as the driver in a car. Yes, they could use the cart paths, especially when there are roundabouts, but they choose not to do so, for one reason or another. (Actually, I notice more people are using cart paths when biking for pleasure, an not work out) BUT, when it comes to STOP SIGNS, (not right turns) very few stop and dismount, like I'm sure you are suppose to. Mostly all cars stop fully, before moving on again. That's my only dispute with the bikes. AGAIN, I am only mentioning STOP SIGNS!!! I myself do not bike on main roads, because it's only for pleasure, and I tell myself: "I can't fix stupid" (at 76 yrs old) HE HE To my fellow bikers, who know what they are doing, continue to enjoy!
  #20  
Old 01-20-2015, 05:25 PM
tomwed tomwed is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,981
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Default

I bike where it is safest and appreciate the paths. When I bike BV I'm checking my mirror and hoping the driver behind me is having a good day. That stresses me out and ruins my ride.

Of course if you don't wear a helmet .......................................
  #21  
Old 01-20-2015, 05:38 PM
kstew43 kstew43 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,118
Thanks: 163
Thanked 54 Times in 19 Posts
Default

i think and do ride my bike in subdivisions internal street roads.......I think a pleasure ride, waving at people, browsing home lawns and decorations is much more relaxing then riding a bike with cars going 35 and even 45 miles per hour speeding by me....

I just don't get the reasoning for bikes to be on main road unless thats the drivers only means of transportation.

It would scare the crap out of me......
  #22  
Old 01-20-2015, 06:07 PM
Miles42 Miles42 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lower Burrell, Pa. Fishers, IN.
Posts: 667
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I am sorry but learn to share the road and pay attention is the best advice given.
  #23  
Old 01-20-2015, 06:19 PM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,650
Thanks: 1,300
Thanked 174 Times in 121 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles42 View Post
I am sorry but learn to share the road and pay attention is the best advice given.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
.... I do ride my bike in subdivisions internal street roads.......I think a pleasure ride, waving at people, browsing home lawns and decorations is much more relaxing then riding a bike with cars going 35 and even 45 miles per hour speeding by me....
I just don't get the reasoning for bikes to be on main road unless thats the drivers only means of transportation. It would scare the crap out of me......
I think kstew's comments make sense.
It's legal for me to ride my bike on a main road like Buena Vista, no question.
But for me, it wouldn't be at all relaxing or enjoyable. Therefore I wouldn't do it.
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
  #24  
Old 01-20-2015, 07:24 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,590
Thanks: 228
Thanked 758 Times in 350 Posts
Default

It is one thing to ride your bike like kstew does. (That would be my way to ride too.)

But It's quite another to be riding as a sport, for speed and exercise. Those types need to be on the roads like BV and Morse and not endangering walkers and carters on the mm paths. It's legal for them to be there, and the rest of us just have to deal safely with them.

Even if it's not the wisest choice in some people's opinion, it is their legal choice.
__________________
It's harder to hate close up.
  #25  
Old 01-20-2015, 07:28 PM
Happydaz Happydaz is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pinellas
Posts: 350
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

If bicycling on the roads is so dangerous and frightens people so much why aren't they afraid to ride in their golf carts? Most have no seat belts and go 20 mph in narrow lanes, sometimes right next to cars going 35 mph. There have been 15 golf cart deaths in The Villages in the last 4 years and for some reason everyone keeps talking about bicyclists riding on Buena Vista Blvd. Where is your fear of riding in a golf cart without seat belts? Falling out of a golf cart and suffering an impact to the head can result in a fatality. No serious bicyclist would consider riding at 20 mph without a helmet, yet people careen around corners here in their golf carts with no seat belts in a vehicle that was not designed to go over 13 mph and is prone to roll overs.
  #26  
Old 01-20-2015, 07:42 PM
Skybo Skybo is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Villages
Posts: 664
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It seems to me that there are a lot less recumbent bikes around than there were 3 or 4 years ago. I used to see several every time I drove through TV, but now I rarely see them. Has anyone else noticed that? Makes me wonder if many of the recumbent bike riders just felt too vulnerable. And if so, that is a shame, because it looks like a very good form of exercise.

If we, as car/cart drivers, are paying proper attention, we should be looking for the flags (not at all silly, btw) on recumbent bikes, as well as watching for walkers, runners, scooters, motorcycles...and every other form of conveyance here. Some people don't do their due diligence when it comes to protecting themselves, but that doesn't relieve the rest of us of the responsibility of our own due diligence.

The "active lifestyle" is a large part of what makes TV what it is. Personally, I really enjoy seeing folks out walking, running and riding bikes. That is a big part of the vibrancy of this community. And that is what newcomers and visitors notice the most. And, btw, it is also a major reason why our homes are so valuable.

It doesn't matter the road, path or method of conveyance, there will always be people who are irritated by what someone else does.

I just wish that everyone, regardless of what they are driving or riding would reign in their "irritation" when they encounter others who they feel are going too slow or going too fast or not following all of the laws.

Think about how laying on your horn or yelling might startle someone and make them react in a way that could cause an accident. Or how passing them too fast or too close might result in a tragedy. Try to pretend that the stranger who is currently irritating you is actually a visiting friend or family member of yours, and treat them as you would want your loved ones to be treated.

Last edited by Skybo; 01-20-2015 at 08:21 PM.
  #27  
Old 01-20-2015, 08:12 PM
tomwed tomwed is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,981
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Default

According to the 2012 National Survey on Bicyclist and Pedestrian Attitudes and Behaviors, nearly a third of all injuries are caused when bicyclists are struck by cars.

Six most Frequent Sources of Injury Percent
Hit by car 29
Fell 17
Roadway/walkway not in good repair 13
Rider error/not paying attention 13
Crashed/collision 7
Dog ran out 4

Struck by golf cart doesn't even warrant a mention.
The paths are in excellent repair. I have been chased down by dogs over the years but not much more then a bark in TV.
  #28  
Old 01-20-2015, 08:17 PM
Chazz Chazz is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
It seems to me that there are a lot less recumbent bikes around than there were 3 or 4 years ago. I used to see several every time I drove through TV, but now I rarely see them. Has anyone else noticed that? Makes me wonder if many of the recumbent bike riders just felt too vulnerable. And if so, that is a shame, because it looks like a very good form of exercise.

If we, as car/cart drivers, are paying proper attention, we should be looking for the flags (not at all silly, btw) on recumbent bikes, as well as watching for walkers, runners, scooters, motorcycles...and every other form of conveyance here. Some people don't do their due diligence when it comes to protecting themselves, but that doesn't relieve the rest of us of the responsibility of our own due diligence.

The "active lifestyle" is a large part of what makes TV what it is. Personally, I really enjoy seeing folks out walking, running and riding bikes. That is a big part of the vibrancy of this community. And that is what newcomers and visitors notice the most. And, btw, it is also a major reason why our homes are so valuable and will sell quickly.

It doesn't matter the road, path or method of conveyance, there will always be people who are irritated by what someone else does.

I just wish that everyone, regardless of what they are driving or riding would reign in their in their "irritation" when they encounter others who they feel are going too slow or going too fast or not following all of the laws.

Think about how laying on your horn or yelling might startle someone and make them react in a way that could cause an accident. Or how passing them too fast or too close might result in a tragedy. Try to pretend that the stranger who is currently irritating you is actually a visiting friend or family member of yours, and treat them as you would want your loved ones to be treated.

Although I can't provide figures, I would say that there are many more recumbent riders (more trikes than 2-wheelers) in my view, than at any time here in the past. As a matter of fact, the Sumter Landing Bike Club just recognized their increasing popularity by adding a recumbent trike group ride out of Barnes & Nobles on Mondays. I have had the pleasure of riding with that group a few times, and they practice safe riding principles.
__________________
The Bronx, NY<br />Queens, NY<br />Old Bridge, NJ<br />Freehold, NJ<br />The Villages, FL
  #29  
Old 01-20-2015, 08:20 PM
Chazz Chazz is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 427
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I have to agree with what you say about the lay down bikes, very dangerous and should be driven on cart paths only. We have one that crosses 466 and I shudder every time I see it, because you just cannot see them. But, you cannot keep regular bikes off the road, it is their right to be there and you just have to use commonsense when driving with them.
Huhhh???
__________________
The Bronx, NY<br />Queens, NY<br />Old Bridge, NJ<br />Freehold, NJ<br />The Villages, FL
  #30  
Old 01-20-2015, 08:26 PM
Skybo Skybo is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Villages
Posts: 664
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
Although I can't provide figures, I would say that there are many more recumbent riders (more trikes than 2-wheelers) in my view, than at any time here in the past. As a matter of fact, the Sumter Landing Bike Club just recognized their increasing popularity by adding a recumbent trike group ride out of Barnes & Nobles on Mondays. I have had the pleasure of riding with that group a few times, and they practice safe riding principles.
You may very well be correct...it just seemed to me that I'm not seeing as many as I had in the past. Happy to hear that the sport is thriving!
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 PM.