Bill Pay ?

Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2021, 10:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisanp@aol.com View Post
Don't us auto pay from the AP company (credit card, utility, phone, etc.), use online bill pay from your bank. This way it is all in one place, with one login, and you can see the complete history of who was paid and when. They will even send paper checks out to those who do not accept auto pay (lawn care, pet sitter, etc.). With one login, you will see a near compete picture of who was paid, when, and from what account (assuming all of your checking accounts are with the same bank). This way with just two logins, one to your bank and one to your investment management firm, you can see nearly all incoming and outgoing funds.

Trouble with using a bank bill pay, YOUR STILL RESPOSNABLE for that bill until it clears.
If the bank screws up and the bill is over due it's you fault.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Bill pay online, I don't trust the mail,
Amen to that........
Don't forget people, if you send a check in the mail, and that check gets lost,
YOU ARE RESPONSABLE, until someone on the other end cashes that check.

Using a credit card, you're using they money.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendi View Post
A separate account can be set up for auto pay. They don’t have access to your financial information. Just that account.
Same with using a credit card.
I use one credit card for all my utilities bills that I use for paying on line.
That card never leaves my home safe, and if something changes it's easier
work with one card.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Thanks for all your in put on this thread since I started it, some great suggestions.

One last thing.
Those that keep a paper trail daily/monthly/yearly financial records, don't forget to remember
to make changes to them as they happen, other wise your record keeping gets obsolete really fast.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
My wife isn't interested learning about computers.
I'm worried about what will happen to our finances if I die before her.
I have all my username and passwords filed in the safe.

I try to have statements, (charge cards, Utility's bills, checking acct.) mailed to the house, but a couple are on auto pay that I pay on line.

What's your system?
Does she use email? I set up the email calendar to remind me of all bills, appointments, birthdays, etc.

For example, I will load Sumter electric on the 11th of the month. I will write on there whether it is autopay or if I have to pay it. I will add the website and the login. I don’t add the password. I set a reminder to email me 3 to 7 days in advance. If autopay I put 3 days in case I need to transfer funds. If a payment I have to make, I put 7 days to give me time to send it. I also have it send an email one day before or the day of so that I know it was done.

I have done this for years and this works so well for me. I do need to check my email every day, but I do that anyway. I don’t have to try to keep up with what is due when. I also don’t have to worry about double paying because I forgot it was on autopay.

For birthdays, I will set a reminder date depending on what I am going to do. Same day = phone call, 7 days mail a card. 14 days a gift.

For appointments, I usually set a reminder for 3 days. If I have to cancel this should be enough time not to be charged.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Each person's "system" must be tailored to their particular needs. I would strongly suggest you pay someone for a meeting to consult on setting up estate planning, and your question would be part of that discussion along with other things including a living will, will, and what happens if you both die from a meteor crashing into your house while you sleep.

We did it a year or so ago and for everything including trust setup etc it didn't cost that much.
I am curious if you could share who you used for your trust and consultation regarding these matters.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:59 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Bank auto pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisanp@aol.com View Post
Don't us auto pay from the AP company (credit card, utility, phone, etc.), use online bill pay from your bank. This way it is all in one place, with one login, and you can see the complete history of who was paid and when. They will even send paper checks out to those who do not accept auto pay (lawn care, pet sitter, etc.). With one login, you will see a near compete picture of who was paid, when, and from what account (assuming all of your checking accounts are with the same bank). This way with just two logins, one to your bank and one to your investment management firm, you can see nearly all incoming and outgoing funds.
I too use our bank auto pay system to pay our bills. I update everything in our bank lockbox at least once a year and we have a Trust for most assets except our cars. Not perfect but my wife should have few issues should I pass before her.. Finally, we made “final arrangements” to make it as easy as possible for those left behind by our passing. “Life is good but it’s not permanent”. Anonymous

Last edited by justjim; 10-06-2021 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-06-2021, 03:20 PM

It's a problem if you have biological children? I don't understand that. I would think nonbiological children would be more of a problem.
Old 10-06-2021, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,810 Times in 5,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcreason5616 View Post
Autopay is not intrusive as you might believe. The account and routing numbers used with autopay and on your personal checks are the same. They all run through the clearing house together. Anyone that you write a check to has the same access to your account information, as well as your signature.
Janis Creason
Dauphin County Treasurer
Autopay is not intrusive until they take money from your account that you don't owe. I don't like autopay, but most merchants and utility companies love it, especially those that sell you an ongoing subscription or service that some people forget they have or have difficulty cancelling. I prefer online banking where I log on to the bank website and direct the payment and amount that I want to make. It's much more secure than autopay.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:04 PM
Platinum member
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Bill pay online, I don't trust the mail, wife used to do the bills, but I do them now, gives her more time to go shopping....and make more bills....LOL
I do the same.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:46 PM

We are members of Neptune Society for our final arrangements.

They have an AMAZING booklet they give you at the time you enroll that is an actually step by step "everything and anything you would need to know" kind of booklet for a surviving loved on to work from. It is a workbook where they allow anything you can think of to be entered in the way of accounts, directions, passwords, where to find things....very useful.

I have no idea if they sell them without a plan, but if you can get one from them they are very comprehensive and helpful for a single resource guide for just such issues.
Old 10-08-2021, 09:15 PM
Default Death notes

In addition to a trust I have in NOTES on my device all passwords and how everything is controlled - need a password to get into my device and another different password to get into notes - that info is emailed to my trustee whenever anything changes plus trustee has passwords to access NOTES.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,627 Times in 597 Posts

Online banking since it was offered to pay bills. We can both pay bills, and if something should happen to both of us at the same time, oldest has login info, and youngest has passwords.

Learned the hard way when dominating parent only handled the money, surviving spouse didn’t even know how to pay a bill, or where the accounts were.
Old 10-09-2021, 08:20 AM

Most of the time 90% of passwords are saved on the computer or cell phone (Apple smart phone) make sure each person knows password for each other’s phone/computer.
Old 10-09-2021, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,956 Times in 1,117 Posts

All my bills are paid out of credit Union that’s not even in this state for last 20 years , I never changed from there because my pensions go in and I didn’t want to change them either they take the full payment of credit cards also to use the automatic on credit card they either take full amount or you can call and they will take lowest amount which I’ve never have done , i to have set up cell , charities, direct tv and wi fi on backup card that never leaves home , I have never had a problem and I have moved often and settings up new accounts has never been a problem, I do keep some funds in citizens just for atm and some conveniences . I don’t care about on line banking , I look once a month when statements come in
Closed Thread

Tags
pay, acct, statements, charge, cards

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.