Bridge at Lake Sumter Landing

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2015, 05:18 AM
Sage

Sorry to burst the bubble again, but the bridge was built first, then the islands were dumped around it, then they added the lake. It's all man-made.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:14 AM
Platinum member

[quote=gomoho;1007501]
Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
The article in the on-line news said that the district owns the land that the bridge sits on, and the county owns the bridge. Since it is the land that is sinking, causing the bridge to sink, the district must pay to shore up the land.

Which came first - the chicken or the egg???
I just ordered both from Amazon. I will let you know.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 02-08-2015, 11:17 AM
Sage

Good engineering practice is that when you build a structure near water (existing swamp/new lake) you install piles to support the new structure.

It would seem that the construction of the structure is the problem - county issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_foundation

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 02-08-2015, 11:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I won't go, because I am convinced it will be handled well just like everything else has been.
The online newspaper article seemed speculative in nature, not a lot of facts available yet.
I hope GG is right and that it will be handled well, with little impact on residents living south of 466.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
in 100 years, I do not expect many of our homes to be in the same condition as some of the quality built homes of the past...

we will never know, but with all the issues I have had in the past 3 years with the siding buckling, the foundation cracking on the decking and the driveway, the quality of the woodworking and finishing jobs in the kitchen, the flooring and the roof eases....I can pretty safely say, my particular home will probably not be inhabitable in 100 years....

I forgot the big bummer....my formica on my kitchen counters have nail head marks starting to come thru.....the formica seems to be growing pimples in more than one place.

BUT, as everyone has always pointed out to me......your not buying a quality home, your buying a lifestyle........
Along with the bridge, you seem to feel that everything built by the developer is substandard, including the homes. And in the "pulling over for emergency vehicles" thread you state that you live in Miami...so excuse me if I am skeptical of your position.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
The online newspaper article seemed speculative in nature, not a lot of facts available yet.
I hope GG is right and that it will be handled well, with little impact on residents living south of 466.

I hope so, this really isn't about the money on this specific subject, it is the principal of the thing-that 1 grouping of people would be responsible for something everyone uses-including non-Villagers. And also I hope this is not the way of the future with the home owners being responsible for all repairs-esp. big ticket items.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
Does anyone know how many homes are south of 466? 1,500,000.00 sounds like a lot of money but just suppose there are 20,000 homes (there are about 50,000 in the entire Villages). If You divide 1,500,000. By 20,0000 that is only $75 per home.
The price per homesite really doesn't matter and shouldn't matter. No matter how you cut it, one million and a half dollars is A LOT OF MONEY! And don't forget, that is supposedly only an estimate.

If all we all do is make a comment on this forum and nothing more, we all deserve what we get! Actions speak louder than words.

Those who live south of 466 don't use the bridge any more or any less than those who live north of the bridge. To think otherwise is just plain stupid! And speaking of stupidity, who made that edict???
Old 02-09-2015, 09:41 AM

I vote to widen it!
Old 02-09-2015, 11:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Lis View Post
I vote to widen it!
If it sinks enough can it be turned into a tunnel?
Old 02-09-2015, 11:26 AM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
The price per homesite really doesn't matter and shouldn't matter. No matter how you cut it, one million and a half dollars is A LOT OF MONEY! And don't forget, that is supposedly only an estimate.

If all we all do is make a comment on this forum and nothing more, we all deserve what we get! Actions speak louder than words.

Those who live south of 466 don't use the bridge any more or any less than those who live north of the bridge. To think otherwise is just plain stupid! And speaking of stupidity, who made that edict???

And there is no guarantee that the plan that they come up with will even work, since the original plan seems to have failed. All good questions for Ms Tutt.

Interested parties should plan on getting there early to get a front row seat to ask these pertinent questions.

Paying for the repairs isn't a matter of who uses the bridge the most, but where they can get their hands on the money to pay for it.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT2TV View Post
.... this really isn't about the money on this specific subject, it is the principal of the thing-
that one grouping of people would be responsible for something everyone uses-including non-Villagers.
I hope this is not the way of the future with the home owners being responsible for all repairs-esp. big ticket items.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.