Bridges in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2021, 12:26 PM
Default Bridges in The Villages

I know there are the 2 Brownwood bridges (the little one over the pond and the big one over 44), The Water Lily Bridge over the Turnpike) and Chitty Chatty (again across 44), and I've heard there is another up north in Spanish Springs. What road does it cross? Has there been any update on the Southern Oaks Bridge plans across the Turnpike?
Old 03-21-2021, 12:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,428 Posts

Cart bridge from Spanish Springs to the Historical section of The Villages, crossing US441.

(John show her a picture)
Old 03-21-2021, 12:43 PM
Veteran member

The other big cart bridge goes over 441 to take you from Spanish Springs to the historical section, which includes the Orange Blossom Hills Country Club.

Since you counted the small flat bridge going over the pond in Brownwood there are other flat bridges that go over creeks and ponds. On your way there from down south you would likely cross a small cart bridge on Morse just north of 466. There is one going to the mail station from the De La Vista neighborhood. There is also one on the Morse MMP in Chitty Chatty.

There is also the car and cart bridge on Morse that goes over the edge of Lake Sumter.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,955 Times in 1,161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Cart bridge from Spanish Springs to the Historical section of The Villages, crossing US441.

(John show her a picture)
The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The bridge actually has it's own Facebook page

Villages Golf Cart Bridge

GOLF CART OVERPASS TO BE LINK TO SHOPPING July 12, 1992 Orlando Sentinel

By next year, residents of this city's massive retirement community will be able to motor across U.S. Highway 27-441 in their golf carts - on a peach stucco bridge.

Developers of the Villages at Lady Lake plan to build an overpass for golf carts across busy U.S. 27-441 from the residential community to a shopping area on the highway's west side.

"Most of our residents use golf carts as a major means of transportation," said Gary Morse, vice president of the Villages at Lady Lake, formerly Orange Blossom Gardens.

"This bridge will expand their horizons of where they can go."

The overpass is needed because golf carts aren't permitted to cross state highways. The bridge should be ready for use by next summer, Morse said.

The bridge will be of peach-colored stucco, in keeping with the decor at the Villages of Lady Lake.

Although overpasses for pedestrians are commonplace, the idea of building a bridge for use by golf carts is unusual, said Tom Berry of the state Department of Transportation office in Deland.

State transportation officials plan to issue a permit for the project after reviewing it. "We're just making sure their plans comply with our standards," Berry said.

DOT officials also don't mind that the stucco bridge will be painted peach. "I've seen the renderings, and I think it looks kind of nice," Berry said.

The bridge, expected to cost $675,000, will be paid for with investor-backed bond money that will be used to develop the shopping area into a 169-acre commercial development district designed to attract more businesses to Lady Lake.

Town leaders first must approve the development district plan.

Morse proposes to raise $9 million through bonds to pay for improvements to the property, including roads, utility services, parking areas, landscaping and the bridge.

The bond money would be repaid by assessments levied against businesses in the district, bordered by U.S. 27-441 and Avenida Central, a road that loops around the 169-acre tract.

Morse said although the bond money will pay for the overpass, the cost really will be incurred by the Villages at Lady Lake.

"The bond taxes us, so we end up paying for the bridge," Morse said.

Building roads through the district will cost $3.5 million, while water and sewer service will cost a total of $1.75 million, records show.

Another $1.3 million will be spent on landscaping and parks, and $500,000 for parking lots.

Old 03-21-2021, 01:20 PM

Do you know if pedestrians or bikes are allowed on that bridge? It looks steep! Thanks all for the answers!
Old 03-21-2021, 02:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,630 Times in 600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynthiaAnn View Post
Do you know if pedestrians or bikes are allowed on that bridge? It looks steep! Thanks all for the answers!
Yes all are welcome on the bridges. We drive slow you never know if a walker, rider, or sometimes a car, that doesn’t belong there may be over the rise
Old 03-21-2021, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Official name - Everett Kelly Causeway
Old 03-21-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Just rode over it yesterday in my golf cart. There actually is a sign that says "Golf Carts and Pedestrians Only. I have never seen either a pedestrian or biker on the bridge. Personally I'd never attempt it.
Old 03-21-2021, 06:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGR720 View Post
Just rode over it yesterday in my golf cart. There actually is a sign that says "Golf Carts and Pedestrians Only. I have never seen either a pedestrian or biker on the bridge. Personally I'd never attempt it.
When we rented over there while looking to buy here we walked that bridge every morning for 3 months. It was probably safer walking across 441 between the lights! It was fun taking a cart over it especially downhill.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 03-22-2021, 04:50 AM

I love that Bridge - our group all call it the 'Woo Hoo' bridge 'cos it's like a Disney Rollercoaster and you can all yell Woo Hoo !!!!
Old 03-22-2021, 05:02 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
It is steep and narrow . Biking up it would be a struggle. IMO one would be safer walking across 441/27 at a crosswalk
Old 03-22-2021, 05:15 AM

Don't hold you breath for the bridge over the turnpike. There is no sense in rebuilding or restoring that bridge until they start to develop the land.
Old 03-22-2021, 05:39 AM

Development has been going on.
Old 03-22-2021, 05:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,530 Times in 2,580 Posts

Back in the day, we had an electric golf cart from one of our house rentals that could never get over the top of that bridge.
We used to wait for a gas cart to come along and give us a shove for the last few yards, or wife drove, and I had to push it over the top!
Old 03-22-2021, 07:35 AM

Water Lilly bridge over the turnpike has already opened.
Closed Thread

Tags
bridges, turnpike, bridge, spanish, springs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.