Brownwood “What Up”

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2024, 09:14 AM

Can't wait for the response if similarly dressed start wandering through neighborhoods. Could be a different tune
Old 03-22-2024, 09:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,999 Times in 4,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesimonsaid View Post
Can't wait for the response if similarly dressed start wandering through neighborhoods. Could be a different tune
Your wait was over a while ago. Read posts # 9,38, and 42.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,713 Times in 977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMack View Post
I didn’t think I would get beat up so badly by an obvious deviation of our Villages norm. You don’t normally expect to see a group of teenage to early 20 males who looked like they were up to no good sporting their plaid boxers past their mid drift trolling for the easy score at Brownwood Square. I know where our child attended high school the look was banned. Maybe it is acceptable to most, just revolting to me. It’s the gang standard in some areas of the country, just not here I guess.
You made some assumptions and assumed there would be no pushback.
You assume that because someone wears their clothing a certain way, they are "up to no good".

You didn't report what in their behavior lead you the conclusion they were "up to no good". From your OP we have to conclude that your assessment was based strictly on what they were wearing. If this same group of young people were behaving in exactly the same way, but were wearing the latest Havana CC Pro Shop clothing, would you have felt more comfortable with their presence?

Before I retired I lived a block from the local high school, where once upon a time my kids attended, and even decades before that my wife attended. It's in a small town where students of widely varying ethnicities and degrees of wealth attend. Rich doctor's kids, along with kids of prisoners of the local prison.

One day a group of tough looking kids, wearing their pants down below the boxer line were walking down my street. One of them looked at me and insolently dropped his candy bar wrapper on the sidewalk, staring at me, waiting for me to say or do something. Right behind him another kid dressed exactly the same way picked it up off the ground and admonished the litterbug for doing it. So, whatever judgements I was going to make about the first kid based on dress had to be immediately reversed.

So these young people who made you feel uncomfortable may have been troublemakers, or they may just have been young people dressing to a fashion. Something we all did when we were young people.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,575 Times in 3,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesimonsaid View Post
There's a guy with dreadlocks who walks down Paradise, and then over the golf cart bridge. He works at one of the restaurants, and doesn't own a car, and lives closer to Walmart. He also plays the steel drum. Sweet kid, I've picked him up in the golf cart when I've seen him on his way wherever I'm going, and given him a ride at least closer to where I found him.

There's another guy who lives in the neighborhood, he's hard-core into goth (I know - SO last Monday but there's no accounting for taste). Hair dyed jet black, pasty white skin, multiple piercings and inks, black kohl eyeliner, wears all black clothes with studded bracelets, brooding expression, the whole nine yards. I've never experienced a moment's trouble from him. Not sure which house he lives in, somewhere up Paradise. I see him walking around somewhat often. He's always going in the opposite direction from me, otherwise I'd offer him a ride too.

There are a couple of home health aids who walk to the homes, and take a bus from somewhere on 441. Same thing as the goth guy - if I ever saw one walking in the same direction I was heading, I'd offer to give them a ride at least to the Boone Gate (if they're heading home) or to the house they're working at (they work in houses either on the same street as me, or the street behind mind).

Some of us have embraced the "Friendliest Town" mentality and try to emulate the concept. Others would prefer to live in fear of "other." It's their prerogative. I spend most of my day feeling joyful about my own existence, despite the negativity and toxicity of others.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:26 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,070 Times in 546 Posts
Default Next

Next thing you know they will be banning G-Strings in the town squares.

Seriously, public school bans are totally different than town squares. I’ll bet you would have been against leather jackets when biker gangs had their surge.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 03-22-2024, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Your wait was over a while ago. Read posts # 9,38, and 42.
Yep. did read them. Not enough posters around at that time of night though.Daytime and early evening will get folks fired up.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
You made some assumptions and assumed there would be no pushback.
You assume that because someone wears their clothing a certain way, they are "up to no good".

You didn't report what in their behavior lead you the conclusion they were "up to no good". From your OP we have to conclude that your assessment was based strictly on what they were wearing. If this same group of young people were behaving in exactly the same way, but were wearing the latest Havana CC Pro Shop clothing, would you have felt more comfortable with their presence?

Before I retired I lived a block from the local high school, where once upon a time my kids attended, and even decades before that my wife attended. It's in a small town where students of widely varying ethnicities and degrees of wealth attend. Rich doctor's kids, along with kids of prisoners of the local prison.

One day a group of tough looking kids, wearing their pants down below the boxer line were walking down my street. One of them looked at me and insolently dropped his candy bar wrapper on the sidewalk, staring at me, waiting for me to say or do something. Right behind him another kid dressed exactly the same way picked it up off the ground and admonished the litterbug for doing it. So, whatever judgements I was going to make about the first kid based on dress had to be immediately reversed.

So these young people who made you feel uncomfortable may have been troublemakers, or they may just have been young people dressing to a fashion. Something we all did when we were young people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
There's a guy with dreadlocks who walks down Paradise, and then over the golf cart bridge. He works at one of the restaurants, and doesn't own a car, and lives closer to Walmart. He also plays the steel drum. Sweet kid, I've picked him up in the golf cart when I've seen him on his way wherever I'm going, and given him a ride at least closer to where I found him.

There's another guy who lives in the neighborhood, he's hard-core into goth (I know - SO last Monday but there's no accounting for taste). Hair dyed jet black, pasty white skin, multiple piercings and inks, black kohl eyeliner, wears all black clothes with studded bracelets, brooding expression, the whole nine yards. I've never experienced a moment's trouble from him. Not sure which house he lives in, somewhere up Paradise. I see him walking around somewhat often. He's always going in the opposite direction from me, otherwise I'd offer him a ride too.

There are a couple of home health aids who walk to the homes, and take a bus from somewhere on 441. Same thing as the goth guy - if I ever saw one walking in the same direction I was heading, I'd offer to give them a ride at least to the Boone Gate (if they're heading home) or to the house they're working at (they work in houses either on the same street as me, or the street behind mind).

Some of us have embraced the "Friendliest Town" mentality and try to emulate the concept. Others would prefer to live in fear of "other." It's their prerogative. I spend most of my day feeling joyful about my own existence, despite the negativity and toxicity of others.
Both posts are very "enlightened". Now, back to the real world-----any legitimate explanation of what the two people in hoodies caught on camera in a residential neighborhood were doing checking out cars for whether they were locked at 4AM were doing? Were they "home health aides" on the night shift? Were they looking for a venue to play a steel drum? Even the 4 described by the OP had every right to be there, but.....why? again, by description, I doubt they were interested in listening to oldies, shopping at Tommy Bahamas or eating at Prima. Better yet, why is it that some people are naive enough to think that people who are clearly out of place have nothing but benign motives for being there?
Old 03-22-2024, 09:39 AM
Default Rally round the family

Quote:
We were at Brownwood last night and ran across some 4 somewhat sketchy individuals traveling in a group. They were sporting the whitetail look that I feel is inappropriate. The pants were drooping down and underwear was showing. Is there a dress code that can be enforced? The couple that was with us said they came from the new apartment complex. Who do we call to address this?
With a pocket full of shells.

Rage Against the Machine – Bulls on Parade Lyrics | Genius Lyrics
Old 03-22-2024, 09:43 AM

Quote:
We were at Brownwood last night and ran across some 4 somewhat sketchy individuals traveling in a group. They were sporting the whitetail look that I feel is inappropriate. The pants were drooping down and underwear was showing. Is there a dress code that can be enforced? The couple that was with us said they came from the new apartment complex. Who do we call to address this?
Nothing can be done.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRcorvette View Post
With the proliferation of apartments in the area it is only going to get a lot worse!!!
If you build it they will come--Oh, wait, they're already here. Is this a black and white issue?

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 03-22-2024, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
If you build it they will come--Oh, wait, they're already here. Is this a black and white issue?
Plenty of code words give it away.

Like “they”.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Both posts are very "enlightened". Now, back to the real world-----any legitimate explanation of what the two people in hoodies caught on camera in a residential neighborhood were doing checking out cars for whether they were locked at 4AM were doing? Were they "home health aides" on the night shift? Were they looking for a venue to play a steel drum? Even the 4 described by the OP had every right to be there, but.....why? again, by description, I doubt they were interested in listening to oldies, shopping at Tommy Bahamas or eating at Prima. Better yet, why is it that some people are naive enough to think that people who are clearly out of place have nothing but benign motives for being there?
I see a fundamental difference between walking around a public square during a concert, and walking around a residential street at 4AM peering into parked cars, regardless of what is being worn.
Do you not?
Old 03-22-2024, 10:02 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,352 Posts

America's future, sad.
Old 03-22-2024, 10:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I see a fundamental difference between walking around a public square during a concert, and walking around a residential street at 4AM peering into parked cars, regardless of what is being worn.
Do you not?
I do. Which is why I posed my original question of whether or not they could be the same people.

But even in the square, where they have every right to be, I question what the attraction would be for these young people. The oldies music? The high-priced restaurants? The specialty boutiques? In general, when a fox is in the henhouse he's not there sightseeing.
Old 03-22-2024, 10:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
America's future, sad.
I remember my parents' generation saying that when we were trying to grow our hair past our ears and eyebrows, wearing tight bell-bottoms, and listening to the same music we now hear on WVLG, and dance to with our pot bellies and golf shirts at the squares.

I think we have bigger problems than the clothing that teenagers wear on a Friday night.
Closed Thread

Tags
brownwood, dress, code, enforced, couple

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.