Buying a home.

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2011, 09:37 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartonjelly View Post
We really think we want a courtyard also. We have cavachons. But I am also worried that after having a wonderful view, I may regret my choice. I stayed a week in a patio villa and loved sitting on the lanai looking up and down the road. I am a people person. We will rent before we buy, as I have heard this message for many years , prior to my husbands early retirement. Good Luck. Everyone at TV is so helpful. This site has been awesome too !
Some of the CYVs also have views. I know the villas behind our home have beautiful views and the folks there are very social.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by judynsc View Post
My husband and I are planning to move to tv as soon as we have sold our home in the Chicagoland area.

I remember reading about a formula to gauge the amount of money you would need to live in tv. I sure wissh I could remember what it was. Does anyone have any idea about this>

Thanks, Judy
Judy, This was posted by ZCaveman, In Nuts & Bolts of The Villages Part 1,
Living Costs. Hope it helps. By the way, there have been many people from Illinois posting on TOTV in the past few months that they are planning on moving to TV within the next few months or within a year. By this time next year I should have the roads to myself.

Living Costs
There are a number of posts out in TOTV requesting the monthly costs for living in TV. The numbers vary between full time residents and part time residents. I am a full time resident with a 3 bedroom ranch on a base lot. Some of the numbers are close to mine. Some are from some of the other posts. This is an attempt to try and put them in one place. Remember, as with many of the other items in this post, this is just an estimate. Actual numbers will depend on your life style and size of residence. The numbers are monthly except where noted.

Water/Sewer (depends on size of yard) $40-80
Garbage $16.92
Electric $80-225* - annual average $165 (added 3/22/2011)
Gas $23-80* - annual average $42 (added 3/22/2011)
Telephone (CenturyLink landline/Full service/ No LD) $46
Telephone (AT&T Cell phone) $35
Cable (Premium/Digital No HBO, etc) $93.85 (Comcast) Updated 3/22/2011)
Internet (broadband) $50.95 (Comcast) Updated 3/22/2011)
Amenity Fee $135 (as of this writing)
Property Taxes $200-400 ***
Homeowners Insurance $600 and up per year
Automobile Insurance $500 and up per year
Golf Cart Trail Fees $142 per year
Lawn Care (mow and edge) $45-80 (depends on size of yard)
Weeding/shrub trimming $50 (depends on # of shrubs)
Daily Sun $48 per year
Orlando Sentinel (optional) $28 (13 weeks)
Dining out (for 2 no liquor):
Lunch $25-35
Dinner $25-$$$

* This is an average. Electric will be higher in the summer and lower in the winter. Gas will be higher in the winter and lower in the summer.
** Cell phone costs should be about the same as you are paying now. It depends on the plan.
*** Florida resident with Homestead Exemption. No bond. This depends on the appraised value of your home. You can get the millage rate from the county appraiser. In 2007, this included the non-Ad Valorem (CDD4 ($371) / fire ($120) / water/waste ($68) charges.* If you have a bond, it will be included in your taxes. It is a 30 year bond at 6 or 7%.* You will have to calculate that number yourself.
**** Some insurance companies have monthly payment options.

Good luck in your upcoming move.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by judynsc View Post
My husband and I are planning to move to tv as soon as we have sold our home in the Chicagoland area.

I remember reading about a formula to gauge the amount of money you would need to live in tv. I sure wissh I could remember what it was. Does anyone have any idea about this>

Thanks, Judy
Judy:

This was posted by DickY on 12/2/10.

My Patio Villa, 1190SF costs run (costs rounded up)
Taxes with homestead $2200 annual (includes bond)
Home owners Ins $ 690 annual
Pest control, lawn fertilize $500 annual
Newspaper Subscription $53 annual
Amenity, sewer, water, trash $ 200 monthly, $ 2400 annual
Cable, phone $150 monthly $1800 annual
Lawn mowing $40 monthly $480 annual
Electricity $90 monthly average $1080 annual
Powerwash siding $45 annual

The formula can be found by going to wwwthevillages.com and at the bottom left there should be an icon that you can click on that gives you basic expenses.

I hope this helps.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Gold member

How can you have a view if there are walls all around? Are you talking about the ones where there is a low nonsolid fence around the front or are there CYV with lanais in the front? Personally, I like the privacy the walls afford, as well as keeping the furry kids safe.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.