Can't turn HVAC fan off

Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2023, 12:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,244 Times in 2,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLonzo View Post
My house, like most in the Villages, comes with the Ecobee thermostat. I turned off my system, and it's confirmed with the message "no equipment running'. But the fan is still running. When i went to the fan setting, it only has an 'on' and 'auto' setting, no 'off'. In the 'auto' setting, you can set minimum run time. I set mine to '0 minutes/hour' which is the lowest setting possible. But my fan keeps running. What do i need to do to turn the fan off?

I followed the instructions here but it did not help:
how to turn off fan with ecobee thermostat - Search Videos
There is probably a relay that controls the fan, it is possible (not probable) that the relay contact(s) have welded closed and are keeping the fan on. You will probably not be able to diagnose this yourself, and I would not suggest it. If none of the above suggestions work, then I would go with a reputable AC repair service and see what they find.
Old 11-25-2023, 01:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
There is probably a relay that controls the fan, it is possible (not probable) that the relay contact(s) have welded closed and are keeping the fan on. You will probably not be able to diagnose this yourself, and I would not suggest it. If none of the above suggestions work, then I would go with a reputable AC repair service and see what they find.
The likely answer was in this post and a few that followed for the newer systems.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...195-post4.html

Last edited by Altavia; 11-25-2023 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-25-2023, 01:07 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
I disabled the smart recovery. Fan kept running.
I then turned off the circuit breakers. There are 2: one is labeled A/C, the other A/H. When I turned off the A/C breaker, fan kept running. When I turned off the A/H breaker, the fan went off. Fan came back on when I turned on the A/H breaker again.
More reasons for the KISS(keep it simple stupid) mentality. Fan either runs all the time or when compressor on. Should not be so complicated.
Old 11-26-2023, 05:40 AM
Default Turn ecobee fan off

My ecobee fan thermostat would not turn off either. I called Ecobee tech support and they walked me through turning it off.
Old 11-26-2023, 06:41 AM
Default Easy Test, The thermostat can be removed by pulling it straight out from the wall .

The thermostat is just plugged into the sub base that is attached to the wall . The removal process is to pull the thermostat straight out of the sub base it will unplug from the base. This will stop the fan if the problem is in the thermostat. If the fan continues to run with the thermostat removed from the wall this proves the problem is not the the thermostat and will require a technician to fix this issue.
The thermostat will plug right back into the sub base if you align it up and press it in. There are connectors that you will need to properly align for it to go back into place.
Old 11-26-2023, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
Yes, Turn the Circuit Breaker off ! If the fan is still running after the breaker is on , it may be your Thermostat…
Could be the fan motor too. I just spent $705 with Sun Kool replacing the air handler fan motor for this exact scenario (on an 11 yr old system with thermostat working just fine). Fan shuts off now.
Old 11-26-2023, 06:57 AM

Ecobee is the best thermostat out there, I’ve owned the others. Our custom built house had 4 of them 7 years ago, not 1 problem with them nor with this 1 in our current house. We had ours replaced by Munns over a year ago because of a recall or some global issue, and the replacement was 1 step up from the original. Thermostats are very easy to setup and operate especially from your phone from anywhere in the world
Old 11-26-2023, 08:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William MacEntee View Post
My ecobee fan thermostat would not turn off either. I called Ecobee tech support and they walked me through turning it off.
Great ! And the procedure was ??????
Old 11-26-2023, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
New Ecobee was replaced after six months. Terrible product. No need for complicated product for simple task
I had a Ecobee installed on our new carrier unit and hated it !! Put my Sensi back up !!
Old 11-26-2023, 09:36 AM

Quote:
New Ecobee was replaced after six months. Terrible product. No need for complicated product for simple task
I installed Ecobee in my house and in my house up North. I love being able to see and control it from my phone. No problems at all. I would highly recommend.
Old 11-26-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Fantastic product. Works very well.

Hike naked, it adds color to your cheeks!
Old 11-27-2023, 09:39 AM

Quote:
My house, like most in the Villages, comes with the Ecobee thermostat. I turned off my system, and it's confirmed with the message "no equipment running'. But the fan is still running. When i went to the fan setting, it only has an 'on' and 'auto' setting, no 'off'. In the 'auto' setting, you can set minimum run time. I set mine to '0 minutes/hour' which is the lowest setting possible. But my fan keeps running. What do i need to do to turn the fan off?

The so called "smart" thermostats are not user friendly and too complicated IMO. Of course, if your hvac unit is setup for one you are stuck with it.
Old 11-27-2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Fr View Post
The so called "smart" thermostats are not user friendly and too complicated IMO. Of course, if your hvac unit is setup for one you are stuck with it.
Incorrect

Hike naked, it adds color to your cheeks!
Old 11-27-2023, 11:15 PM
Default ecobee fan speed issue

I had the exact same issue this past summer. Open the Ecobee phone app, select the more button, look at the lower right bottom screen, looks like 2 toggle switches, this will take you into quick changes. You should see fan settings, should be on auto, also for some reason when I select away for now, the fan turns on, Home for now sets the fan in auto mode, and fan goes off. I believe this is a software error. This is my third home with a smart thermostat and I like the look of the unit. but it is has to be the most difficult to use the smart app for programming, comfort settings, Schedules and eco+ settings are not that intuitive. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck.
Old 11-28-2023, 06:36 AM
Default Fan on ecobee

Quote:

I had to disconnect it from the wifi.
Closed Thread

Tags
fan, setting, running, set, turn

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.