Cart tunnel closure - FYI

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 02-09-2011, 06:48 AM
BlueHeronFan's Avatar
BlueHeronFan BlueHeronFan is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 430
Thanks: 1
Thanked 11 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to BlueHeronFan
Default How about some info.

They ought to at least let folks know what is going on. It it a drainage issue, tunnel collapsing, cracking, etc. They give updates to every other project that is going on around here.
  #17  
Old 02-09-2011, 07:04 AM
Avista's Avatar
Avista Avista is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,786
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

If there is a problem, how about fixing it ASAP
__________________
Chicago, Cary, and Champaign, IL
Winchester, IN
Lancaster, OH
Tampa, FL
  #18  
Old 02-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Bill-n-Brillo's Avatar
Bill-n-Brillo Bill-n-Brillo is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Granville, OH.....and TV snowflakes!
Posts: 6,909
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Sent a polite e-mail to the VCDD asking for some feedback. Will post what I get in reply.

Bill
  #19  
Old 02-09-2011, 09:08 AM
getdul981's Avatar
getdul981 getdul981 is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Roanoke, VA - Pennecamp - St. James
Posts: 1,932
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Don't you mean IF?
__________________
Greg

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
  #20  
Old 02-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Bill-n-Brillo's Avatar
Bill-n-Brillo Bill-n-Brillo is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Granville, OH.....and TV snowflakes!
Posts: 6,909
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Nah, they'll send a reply of some sort. I told them I'd send you to see them in person if I didn't............... hee-hee!

Bill
  #21  
Old 02-09-2011, 11:02 AM
memason's Avatar
memason memason is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Villages
Posts: 2,166
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Cool Just Received .... CR101 Tunnel Update

The Latest Information:

Multi Modal Path Tunnel under CR 101
During a routine inspection of the multi-modal paths, District Property Management staff noticed cement pieces on the floor of the tunnel under CR101. Upon further investigation they found the cement had fallen from the tunnel. After cleaning the area of loose cement, they left and came back later to find additional cement had broken loose. At this time they requested our consulting engineer to look at the tunnel and determine what action would be necessary.

After examining the tunnel, it was suggested out of an abundance of caution that it be closed until further review could take place. The manufacturer was contacted, a structural engineer sent to The Villages and a decision was made to have core testing conducted on portions of the tunnel structure.

The testing is scheduled for Thursday, February 10th, and it will take approximately three weeks for the testing results to be completed.

At this point, out of continued concern for the safety and well being of residents, the tunnel will remain closed.

Any questions may be directed to Janet Tutt, District Manager, janet.tutt@districtgov.org or 753-4508.

Thank you for your patience and understanding regarding this unanticipated maintenance issue.
  #22  
Old 02-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Bill-n-Brillo's Avatar
Bill-n-Brillo Bill-n-Brillo is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Granville, OH.....and TV snowflakes!
Posts: 6,909
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Just got my e-notification from VCDD as well. Better than an e-mail reply!!

Bill
  #23  
Old 02-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Avista's Avatar
Avista Avista is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,786
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

All they need is a detour. How about taking the carts north past the Methodist Church and then setting up a crossing point there.
__________________
Chicago, Cary, and Champaign, IL
Winchester, IN
Lancaster, OH
Tampa, FL
  #24  
Old 02-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,646
Thanks: 1,252
Thanked 170 Times in 120 Posts
Default

Holy Cowabunga! It looks as if the tunnel will be closed for quite some time.

I hope they post a police office at Woodbridge Drive (and also at Wedgewood Drive) and CR 101 to control the situation. For years, Villagers have had access via the tunnel to the delights that lie to the west. Bonefish Grill, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Walmart, Buffalo Ridge, Perkins, Bealls, Street Rods, Pet Store, etc.

For sure, people will be crossing CR 101 on Woodbridge Road in their non-street legal golf carts. And the speed limit going north on CR 101 is 35 MPH. It's a recipe for disaster. I hope that the Police Department "mans up", sorry girls, and takes charge of the situation.

At least they should post signs on Woodbridge and Wedgewood advising golf carts that the tunnel is closed and that it is illegal to cross CR 101.
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
  #25  
Old 02-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Taltarzac
Guest
Posts: n/a
Default

Sounds like it will be at least 3.5 weeks before this tunnel re-opens, if not many more weeks than that.
  #26  
Old 02-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Larry Wilson Larry Wilson is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 379
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
The Latest Information:

Multi Modal Path Tunnel under CR 101
During a routine inspection of the multi-modal paths, District Property Management staff noticed cement pieces on the floor of the tunnel under CR101. Upon further investigation they found the cement had fallen from the tunnel. After cleaning the area of loose cement, they left and came back later to find additional cement had broken loose. At this time they requested our consulting engineer to look at the tunnel and determine what action would be necessary.

After examining the tunnel, it was suggested out of an abundance of caution that it be closed until further review could take place. The manufacturer was contacted, a structural engineer sent to The Villages and a decision was made to have core testing conducted on portions of the tunnel structure.

The testing is scheduled for Thursday, February 10th, and it will take approximately three weeks for the testing results to be completed.

At this point, out of continued concern for the safety and well being of residents, the tunnel will remain closed.

Any questions may be directed to Janet Tutt, District Manager, janet.tutt@districtgov.org or 753-4508.

Thank you for your patience and understanding regarding this unanticipated maintenance issue.
memson, Big big thanks for the info.
  #27  
Old 02-09-2011, 04:42 PM
427dave's Avatar
427dave 427dave is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Woodbury, The Villages
Posts: 122
Thanks: 31
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
.

At least they should post signs on Woodbridge and Wedgewood advising golf carts that the tunnel is closed and that it is illegal to cross CR 101.
They do have cones at both Woodbridge and Wedgewood with signs saying NO golf carts are allow to cross 101. They also have one between the Church and Krispers. They are not allowing carts to cross anywhere along 101. Guess we will have to use our cars. Sounds like this could be closed for quite awhile.

Streetrod and E-ZGO both have repair shops in Palm shopping plaza. Guess this cuts them off from drive up business.
  #28  
Old 02-09-2011, 05:28 PM
gongoozler gongoozler is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Villages - North side
Posts: 260
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Another reason to buy a street legal cart!

Now why not just post 20mph signs in that section of CR101 to slow the cars down and allow the carts to cross by the church?

Since it's legal to walk across the street but not drive your golf cart across it makes no sense . . . which is slower and presenting more of a danger, a 70 year-old crossing 4 lanes of traffic on foot or a golf cart?

I was told that the police were hiding yesterday up the road and ticketing cars that had crossed . . . so it was about making money and not about safety. If it really were about safety they would be on CR101 and stopping the carts before they crossed!
  #29  
Old 02-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Autoshow Autoshow is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 167
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac View Post
Saw a golf cart sneak across CR101 this morning north of Crispers. At least, the driver did it where there were not any signs saying that this is forbidden.

I almost hit the nincompoop though as he/she seemed to think he/she had the right of way vs. my van driving south on CR101.
That is not 101 near Crispers,101 is near the wal mart
  #30  
Old 02-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Avista's Avatar
Avista Avista is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,786
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoshow View Post
That is not 101 near Crispers,101 is near the wal mart
101 is by Crispers and runs by the Methodist Church.
__________________
Chicago, Cary, and Champaign, IL
Winchester, IN
Lancaster, OH
Tampa, FL
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 AM.