Cart tunnel closure - FYI

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #76  
Old 02-12-2011, 08:40 AM
getdul981's Avatar
getdul981 getdul981 is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Roanoke, VA - Pennecamp - St. James
Posts: 1,932
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
Alright! That was quicker than I thought. Sounds like a reasonable solution. Hope people don't abuse it by crossing at a different point.
I agree, but you just know someone is going to screw things up for everybody else.
__________________
Greg

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
  #77  
Old 02-28-2011, 09:28 PM
dillywho dillywho is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Summerhill
Posts: 1,765
Thanks: 133
Thanked 75 Times in 26 Posts
Default Like the 4-Way Stop!

Sure do like the 4-way stop across CR101. It has really slowed the auto traffic and has made the roads much safer. It used to be a real challenge to get across at Woodridge by car because by the time they got to there from 466, they were flying. (Had to be really scary for those with street legal carts going across there.) Not only that, but there are some sortof blind crossings out of the church parking lot, behind and in front of Crispers', and a couple of others that have led to near-misses.

Hope the powers-that-be will opt to keep it up, even after the tunnel reopens.
__________________
Lubbock, TX
Bamberg, Germany
Lawton, OK
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
  #78  
Old 03-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Taltarzac
Guest
Posts: n/a
Default Any news about when the tunnel under CR101 will re-open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
Sure do like the 4-way stop across CR101. It has really slowed the auto traffic and has made the roads much safer. It used to be a real challenge to get across at Woodridge by car because by the time they got to there from 466, they were flying. (Had to be really scary for those with street legal carts going across there.) Not only that, but there are some sortof blind crossings out of the church parking lot, behind and in front of Crispers', and a couple of others that have led to near-misses.

Hope the powers-that-be will opt to keep it up, even after the tunnel reopens.
Not sure I want this stop to stay open. That's because, I have seen too many golf cart drivers just heading right through the stop without really stopping. Guess they feel entitled now.

As of late March 2011, I cannot wait until the tunnel re-opens!
  #79  
Old 03-28-2011, 08:19 AM
memason's Avatar
memason memason is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Villages
Posts: 2,166
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac View Post
...Guess they feel entitled now.
Not to be argumentative, but what does statement that mean?


.
  #80  
Old 03-28-2011, 08:59 AM
redwitch's Avatar
redwitch redwitch is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,098
Thanks: 1
Thanked 65 Times in 27 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default

I just recently heard a rumor that they've decided to not fix the tunnel and just leave the four-way stop. Anyone else heard anything?
__________________
Army/embassy brat - traveled too much to mention
Moved here from SF Bay Area (East Bay)

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
  #81  
Old 03-28-2011, 09:08 AM
427dave's Avatar
427dave 427dave is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Woodbury, The Villages
Posts: 122
Thanks: 31
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I just recently heard a rumor that they've decided to not fix the tunnel and just leave the four-way stop. Anyone else heard anything?
Well there doesn't seem to be any work progressing on the repair of the tunnel. Maybe they are not going to repair it for awhile.

The 4-way stop is working
  #82  
Old 03-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,646
Thanks: 1,252
Thanked 170 Times in 120 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac View Post
Not sure I want this stop to stay open. That's because, I have seen too many golf cart drivers just heading right through the stop without really stopping. Guess they feel entitled now.
I agree with Tal. I drive north on CR 101 at least once a day. (To DDRR). Many golf carts are just sailing across 101 without stopping. It is a bit more convenient for golf carts to cross over the road instead of through a tunnel. However I think the tunnel is much safer.

In my opinion, the speed limit on CR 101 is too high. There are way too many people in cars who are too impatient to wait for a clear path. They just sail out into traffic, trying to navigate back and forth between Buffalo Ridge and Southern Trace. It's a dangerous area.
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
  #83  
Old 03-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Taltarzac
Guest
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I agree with Tal. I drive north on CR 101 at least once a day. (To DDRR). Many golf carts are just sailing across 101 without stopping. It is a bit more convenient for golf carts to cross over the road instead of through a tunnel. However I think the tunnel is much safer.

In my opinion, the speed limit on CR 101 is too high. There are way too many people in cars who are too impatient to wait for a clear path. They just sail out into traffic, trying to navigate back and forth between Buffalo Ridge and Southern Trace. It's a dangerous area.
They seem to think that they can handle themselves in a golf cart like they do in their cars when very few golf carts have the same kind of pick-up and none have the same kind of accident survivability unless they drive a car that is quite similar to a golf cart. Have seen a few of these driving around in the Villages.

I also drive to the dog park up CR101 just about every day and also often see cars as well as golf carts do a rolling stop at the "temporary" golf cart street crossing.
  #84  
Old 03-29-2011, 12:15 PM
memason's Avatar
memason memason is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Villages
Posts: 2,166
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I sent an email to Janet Tutt's office yesterday (3/28/2011) concerning the tunnel status and the rumors that are circulating.

Here's the response I received:

Mr. Mason,

I received an engineering report today from the VCCDD regarding this
issue. The VCCDD and Sumter County have not evaluated the report;
however, I am sure we will do so this week. I have not heard the
rumors; however, I know the VCCDD as well as Sumter County are
interested in seeing the tunnel repaired and reopened as soon as
possible.

Bradley
  #85  
Old 03-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Bill-n-Brillo's Avatar
Bill-n-Brillo Bill-n-Brillo is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Granville, OH.....and TV snowflakes!
Posts: 6,909
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for doing that, Mike! And it's good to hear they're wanting to fix the tunnel.

Bill
  #86  
Old 03-29-2011, 03:13 PM
golf2140 golf2140 is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bonita
Posts: 1,862
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
I sent an email to Janet Tutt's office yesterday (3/28/2011) concerning the tunnel status and the rumors that are circulating.

Here's the response I received:

Mr. Mason,

I received an engineering report today from the VCCDD regarding this
issue. The VCCDD and Sumter County have not evaluated the report;
however, I am sure we will do so this week. I have not heard the
rumors; however, I know the VCCDD as well as Sumter County are
interested in seeing the tunnel repaired and reopened as soon as
possible.

Bradley
your e-mail was signed Bradley. Is that Bradley Arnold Sumter County Administrator?????
__________________
Villager from 2000 until they take me out in a small box!!!
  #87  
Old 03-29-2011, 07:06 PM
memason's Avatar
memason memason is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Villages
Posts: 2,166
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
your e-mail was signed Bradley. Is that Bradley Arnold Sumter County Administrator?????
Yes....
  #88  
Old 03-30-2011, 08:39 AM
Taltarzac
Guest
Posts: n/a
Default

Good to hear that they are planning on getting the tunnel back open.
  #89  
Old 03-30-2011, 11:17 AM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,646
Thanks: 1,252
Thanked 170 Times in 120 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac View Post
Good to hear that they are planning on getting the tunnel back open.
I think it will make CR 101 much safer when the carts are using the tunnel again. It is such a congested area between 466 and Woodridge.
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
  #90  
Old 04-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Taltarzac
Guest
Posts: n/a
Default News?

Anything new on the tunnel under CR101?
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 AM.