Casey Anthony trial or mistrial?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 05-12-2011, 06:58 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39,399
Thanks: 4,186
Thanked 4,688 Times in 1,605 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I've never understood the media hype about cases like this. News that a child is missing, yes. News that the body has been found and an arrest made, yes. The continuous, non-stop assault, NO. How can anyone get a fair trial with coverage like this?

Personally, I still think the death was accidental. My theory (and it is strictly a theory) is that Casey chlorofomred her daughter so she could go out. The duct tape was probably put on to keep the toddler quiet until she fell completely asleep. Sadly, too much chloroform was given, the little one died and Casey panicked. Ugly, yes. Tragic, most definitely. Murder warranting the death penalty, I don't think so. The prosecutor may regret hanging everything on first degree murder - barring public/juror outrage, it may be hard to prove this was deliberate.

In the meantime, several fortunes are being spent to try this case. Money that could be used to help other children, people in need. Thiis makes me very angry. If the media had let the case drop, this case would cost half of what it is costing and there would be no need to go to several counties to find jurors.
I agree with you in part, Red. But journalists have a quota too. It is the American way. It is their job to find news or they have no job.

Even if she didn't mean to kill her, what normal person would sedate and tape their own child?

I have to add that the reason I am drawn to the details is that my heart fell in love with that precious, sparkling, sweet, smart and beautiful little girl who is no more, due to the selfishness of her mother. So many people would have loved to raise her, including her own grandmother, who I don't like either...but Caley Marie Anthony still speaks to me from her grave.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-13-2011 at 07:47 PM.
  #17  
Old 05-12-2011, 07:50 PM
redwitch's Avatar
redwitch redwitch is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,099
Thanks: 2
Thanked 76 Times in 33 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default

Gracie, I think I'm one of the very few who truly feels sorry for Casey Anthony. She never wanted to have a baby. She was told she would be disowned if she had an abortion or gave the baby up for adoption. The grandparents tried to force Casey to raise her child, I guess thinking that she would ultimately bond with her child. I've seen the results of a child raised by someone who didn't want the child. The results are not pretty and usually end in child neglect and abuse.

I can easily see Casey thinking she wanted to go out but knew that her parents would have a fit if she left and would refuse to babysit Caley. So, a little bit of chloroform, some tape to keep her quiet (or maybe to keep Caley from spitting up the chloroform?) and out the door to play. I just don't see it as premeditated murder.

I think Casey saw her daughter as a doll and something to play with when it was convenient, especially if Caley would shine attention on Casey. However, when it came to be a parent and sacrifice for her child, it was not going to happen. Casey was too immature and selfish to be a parent.

As to the media, there were a lot of other stories that could have been better covered than this drek. Casey Anthony has gotten more coverage here than the death of bin Laden, the flooding in Mississippi and Louisiana, the tornadoes in Alabama. The only thing that's come close in the news is Will and Kate's wedding -- something I also don't see as being that newsworthy. But Casey's coverage is just wrong!
__________________
Army/embassy brat - traveled too much to mention
Moved here from SF Bay Area (East Bay)

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
  #18  
Old 05-12-2011, 08:27 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39,399
Thanks: 4,186
Thanked 4,688 Times in 1,605 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

,
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-12-2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Boy Howdy
  #19  
Old 05-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Bill-n-Brillo's Avatar
Bill-n-Brillo Bill-n-Brillo is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Granville, OH.....and TV snowflakes!
Posts: 6,909
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default



Bill
  #20  
Old 05-12-2011, 08:52 PM
dillywho dillywho is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Summerhill
Posts: 1,765
Thanks: 133
Thanked 75 Times in 26 Posts
Default

I know that I am in the minority, but I'm far from convinced that she caused her death...accidental or otherwise. Too many things just don't add up. That being said, I do think she knows something. I don't think she's the only one that knows the real story, either.

I think FL law stinks in that a person can be tried (if you can call the circus that this has been from the get-go that) in the media instead of a court of law. What happened to "presumed innocent until proven guilty" and tried "by a jury of one's peers"? Where are these "peers"? I just have more questions than answers.

How can a medical examiner declare her death a homicide but could not determine how she died from the examination? Where's the possibility of accident? They don't know who was doing the reseach on the computer in the Anthony household....could have been anyone of them or none of them. Why have people that were both close and not close to Casey said that she was a good, loving mother? All that the media dwells on is the party Casey. They've already had to admit that all the party pictures were not from that timeframe but some much earlier.

If her guilt is so apparent, why are there so many high-profile lawyers still involved? Why are they staying if she's guilty and the money's run out?

Yes, Caylee was a beautiful child but is she any more precious or her life any more valuable than Haleigh Cummings who was not as pretty? Or is it because Haleigh was not from as affluent a family as Caylee? None of her family was a nurse or former police officer that lived in a nice middle-class neighborhood. All of her family seems to be into the drug scene. Misty Crosslin's story is far from believable. Where's all the hype and concern there? Maybe she's involved...maybe not. The attitude toward that little girl just seems to be, "who really cares?"

Back to this case: I've wondered from the first why on earth people were allowed to yell, scream, trespass, throw things, etc. at the Anthony's all hours of the day and night. Is there not a law in FL about disturbing the peace? For crying out loud, look at all the hoopla about music after 9:00 here! You can't party loud, but you can do those things?

Like I said, I have very many questions. The ones here are only a few.
__________________
Lubbock, TX
Bamberg, Germany
Lawton, OK
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
  #21  
Old 05-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Pturner's Avatar
Pturner Pturner is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,066
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I haven't followed the case, so I guess for me, it's a miss-trial.
  #22  
Old 05-12-2011, 09:03 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39,399
Thanks: 4,186
Thanked 4,688 Times in 1,605 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
I know that I am in the minority, but I'm far from convinced that she caused her death...accidental or otherwise. Too many things just don't add up. That being said, I do think she knows something. I don't think she's the only one that knows the real story, either.

I think FL law stinks in that a person can be tried (if you can call the circus that this has been from the get-go that) in the media instead of a court of law. What happened to "presumed innocent until proven guilty" and tried "by a jury of one's peers"? Where are these "peers"? I just have more questions than answers.

How can a medical examiner declare her death a homicide but could not determine how she died from the examination? Where's the possibility of accident? They don't know who was doing the reseach on the computer in the Anthony household....could have been anyone of them or none of them. Why have people that were both close and not close to Casey said that she was a good, loving mother? All that the media dwells on is the party Casey. They've already had to admit that all the party pictures were not from that timeframe but some much earlier.

If her guilt is so apparent, why are there so many high-profile lawyers still involved? Why are they staying if she's guilty and the money's run out?

Yes, Caylee was a beautiful child but is she any more precious or her life any more valuable than Haleigh Cummings who was not as pretty? Or is it because Haleigh was not from as affluent a family as Caylee? None of her family was a nurse or former police officer that lived in a nice middle-class neighborhood. All of her family seems to be into the drug scene. Misty Crosslin's story is far from believable. Where's all the hype and concern there? Maybe she's involved...maybe not. The attitude toward that little girl just seems to be, "who really cares?"

Back to this case: I've wondered from the first why on earth people were allowed to yell, scream, trespass, throw things, etc. at the Anthony's all hours of the day and night. Is there not a law in FL about disturbing the peace? For crying out loud, look at all the hoopla about music after 9:00 here! You can't party loud, but you can do those things?

Like I said, I have very many questions. The ones here are only a few.
Haleigh Cummings is no less precious. It seems that Florida is a state with a lot of childrens untimely deaths. I have often wondered why so many.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #23  
Old 05-13-2011, 06:14 AM
Bill-n-Brillo's Avatar
Bill-n-Brillo Bill-n-Brillo is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Granville, OH.....and TV snowflakes!
Posts: 6,909
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
I haven't followed the case, so I guess for me, it's a miss-trial.
You can open for gracie when she goes out on her stand-up comedy tour.................

Bill
  #24  
Old 05-13-2011, 06:46 PM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,681
Thanks: 1,685
Thanked 238 Times in 180 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitakk View Post

Wish we could save the taxpayers some money on this one and Casey just take a plea of life with no parole. Let her spend her days with women who miss their children terribly and they will make her life hell.
Only a very evil person would use chloroform and duct tape on a child so she could enjoy an evening of drinking and dancing with friends.
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
  #25  
Old 05-13-2011, 07:50 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39,399
Thanks: 4,186
Thanked 4,688 Times in 1,605 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Only a very evil person would use chloroform and duct tape on a child so she could enjoy an evening of drinking and dancing with friends.
I absolutely agree.

And...although I wish I could, I just can't get it out of my mind. She was so beautiful and so was her child. She could have had a lovely life. She MUST be a sociopath. But even so...she does NOT deserve to be out of a cage...ever.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #26  
Old 05-13-2011, 07:58 PM
GatorFan GatorFan is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Villages
Posts: 720
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I agree with you Redwitch. State's Attorney should have offered a plea.
  #27  
Old 05-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Pturner's Avatar
Pturner Pturner is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,066
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Gracie, I think I'm one of the very few who truly feels sorry for Casey Anthony. She never wanted to have a baby. She was told she would be disowned if she had an abortion or gave the baby up for adoption. The grandparents tried to force Casey to raise her child, I guess thinking that she would ultimately bond with her child. I've seen the results of a child raised by someone who didn't want the child. The results are not pretty and usually end in child neglect and abuse.

I can easily see Casey thinking she wanted to go out but knew that her parents would have a fit if she left and would refuse to babysit Caley. So, a little bit of chloroform, some tape to keep her quiet (or maybe to keep Caley from spitting up the chloroform?) and out the door to play. I just don't see it as premeditated murder.

I think Casey saw her daughter as a doll and something to play with when it was convenient, especially if Caley would shine attention on Casey. However, when it came to be a parent and sacrifice for her child, it was not going to happen. Casey was too immature and selfish to be a parent.

As to the media, there were a lot of other stories that could have been better covered than this drek. Casey Anthony has gotten more coverage here than the death of bin Laden, the flooding in Mississippi and Louisiana, the tornadoes in Alabama. The only thing that's come close in the news is Will and Kate's wedding -- something I also don't see as being that newsworthy. But Casey's coverage is just wrong!
But Red, it does seem from your posts in this thread that you have followed the detailed coverage. Am I wrong? The fact that people follow the trial and discuss it is exactly why it gets so much coverage.

I know enough about the case to know that it's tawdry and voyeuristic. I might even have a leg to stand on if I complained about the coverage because I put my money where my mouth is on stories like this. I don't read, listen to or watch them.

But if we do, can we really complain about the coverage?
  #28  
Old 05-14-2011, 09:20 AM
redwitch's Avatar
redwitch redwitch is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,099
Thanks: 2
Thanked 76 Times in 33 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default

I followed the case before it was a case -- just a cute little girl missing, then Casey's claims, then the arrest and some of the accusations. That's probably why it sticks in my mind so much that Casey didn't want to have a baby, let alone keep it and that the grandparents didn't want to raise the baby while forcing Casey to do so. (Hope that makes sense!)

A lot of my comments are not so much about what is on the news but rather comments from friends, etc. about what is happening and my general knowledge of the law (30 years working for attorneys rubs off whether I want it to or not lol). Nowadays, I change to another news station when Casey trial news comes on unless I'm very interested in an upcoming story. So, I think I can complain about the media and it's over coverage of this case.

Heck, I'm still trying to get over the fact that Florida allows papers to publish the names of people and television to totally convict someone arrested for a crime (misdemeanor or felony), possible guilt or innocence be damned. Even OJ had a fairer trial in the news than Casey has gotten.
__________________
Army/embassy brat - traveled too much to mention
Moved here from SF Bay Area (East Bay)

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
  #29  
Old 06-06-2011, 08:00 PM
golfnut's Avatar
golfnut golfnut is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Belvedere
Posts: 2,202
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

quote redwitch, "a little bit of chloroform, some tape to keep her quiet", all for a night of dancing and drinking, only 2 things left at this point, death penalty or life in prison without parole....gn
__________________
Village of Belvedere
  #30  
Old 06-06-2011, 08:14 PM
JenAjd JenAjd is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 613
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I followed the case before it was a case -- just a cute little girl missing, then Casey's claims, then the arrest and some of the accusations. That's probably why it sticks in my mind so much that Casey didn't want to have a baby, let alone keep it and that the grandparents didn't want to raise the baby while forcing Casey to do so. (Hope that makes sense!)

A lot of my comments are not so much about what is on the news but rather comments from friends, etc. about what is happening and my general knowledge of the law (30 years working for attorneys rubs off whether I want it to or not lol). Nowadays, I change to another news station when Casey trial news comes on unless I'm very interested in an upcoming story. So, I think I can complain about the media and it's over coverage of this case.

Heck, I'm still trying to get over the fact that Florida allows papers to publish the names of people and television to totally convict someone arrested for a crime (misdemeanor or felony), possible guilt or innocence be damned. Even OJ had a fairer trial in the news than Casey has gotten.
AMEN to that Red!!! I'm sick to death of any of the news we get here in FL...it's all crime and more crime. Last year WESH had a deal where people could e-mail them to tell them what they'd rather view. Well people did and the rebuttel was...."we understand you don't want to hear this stuff but you people are "entitled" to know what's going on" (my words). So they really weren't interested. In my opinion it's all about ratings and who can "one-up" the other and get the better "scoop".
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 PM.