Chain vs. Belt drive opener

Old 05-20-2024, 07:21 AM

A best drive opener with a DC motor is extremely quiet and operates smoothly. As others have indicated though, if your rollers are bad you will still have a noisy door.

I had a DC motor belt drive in St Pete Beach for about 8 years. I did have to replace the belt once, and it did show signs of brittle rubber being the issue. The belt did not break, but the rubber knobs on it stripped off. Was fairly easy and cheap to replace. If I were buying a new opener, it would be a belt drive DC unit.

It is possible I had a bad belt to start. Harley Davidson motorcycles have used belt drives with similar construction for years, and have no had significant belt issues. Not sure why a garage door opener would typically have issues as long as the door moves smoothly.

Old 05-20-2024, 08:03 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,255 Times in 426 Posts

If I were to buy one of those Chamberlin garage door openers on Amazon, how much does it cost to have it installed by a garage door mechanic?

Old 05-20-2024, 08:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amory View Post
I've been told that while belt drive garage door openers are much quieter the central Florida extreme heat and humidity can affect the belt performance, i.e. belt stretching, slipping, and that the belt may have to be replaced after several years. Anyone with personal experience you would like to share?
I prefer a wife or grandchild opener. Don’t have to worry about power outages or battery in the remote going bad.

Old 05-20-2024, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
If I were to buy one of those Chamberlin garage door openers on Amazon, how much does it cost to have it installed by a garage door mechanic?
Scott's Garage Door Service installs these for $550.00 total. I called ROMAC and they wanted $900. for the same unit.

Old 05-20-2024, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,369 Times in 2,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I would try contacting a garage door mechanic first, they may not be willing to install an opener you purchased. On the other hand this is a project that many experienced handyman can do. I have installed maybe a dozen over the years, not doing that much now, my knees complain too much afterwards.

Old 05-20-2024, 10:44 AM

When I am in the house ( Village home ) and either of my garage doors open, most times I do not hear it open then close. It a Romac chain drive! Be sure that your door and chain are adjusted properly

Old 05-20-2024, 12:06 PM
Default Garage door opener99

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgowan13 View Post
Belts are MUCH MUCH quieter--almost silent. You probably will not hear it inside the house.

However, my wife and I decided that we actually liked the rattle/noise the chain makes because now we can hear when the garage door is going up or down.

Not a big issue but I like to know when somebody is opening the garage door (our in-laws used to let themselves in via the garage) and coming into the house.

Besides--how would the dogs know you are home? LOL They definitely hear the chain and run to the hallway door for the greet-party.

Belt much quieter if that is an issue for you...
While a noisy garage door opener may give you feedback on when the door opens/closes I prefer the opener we installed because it has a device which sends a signal to my phone giving me that info ANYWHERE I am. It also gives me the ability to open/close the door from anywhere. BTW it is a belt drive unit and is very quiet

Old 05-21-2024, 06:17 AM

Who is the best Chamberlain Operator service provider in out area? Had a new operator, drive etc put in about 18 months ago. It seems on the initial open each day it make a loud noise on the first foot of travel. Sometimes even stopping.
Scott's Garage put the unit in and he is totally unresponsive. Thanks in advance for any help with a good service company.

Old 05-21-2024, 06:20 AM

Scotts Garage Doors is horrible with their customer service. I was notified by the BBB that he LOST his accreditation with them recently which is something that takes so doing to lose. Stay far, far away. IMHO

Old 05-21-2024, 07:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Changed from chain to belt and amazed at how quiet it is. I have to visually check to see if it is operating.

Old 05-22-2024, 06:45 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,136 Times in 1,359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Changed from chain to belt and amazed at how quiet it is. I have to visually check to see if it is operating.
Change your rollers to neoprene and even better.

Tags
belt, drive, chain, slipping, replaced

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.