Chain vs. Belt drive opener

Old 05-19-2024, 09:00 AM
Default Chain vs. Belt drive opener

I've been told that while belt drive garage door openers are much quieter the central Florida extreme heat and humidity can affect the belt performance, i.e. belt stretching, slipping, and that the belt may have to be replaced after several years. Anyone with personal experience you would like to share?
Old 05-19-2024, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,253 Times in 2,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amory View Post
I've been told that while belt drive garage door openers are much quieter the central Florida extreme heat and humidity can affect the belt performance, i.e. belt stretching, slipping, and that the belt may have to be replaced after several years. Anyone with personal experience you would like to share?
Over many years we have never had a problem with our belt. Also, no need to have to clean/lubricant the chain and worry about dripping grease. That being said, we only use the door a couple times per day to open in the A.M. and close before bed. During the rest of the day we use the overhead screen door.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Over many years we have never had a problem with our belt. Also, no need to have to clean/lubricant the chain and worry about dripping grease. That being said, we only use the door a couple times per day to open in the A.M. and close before bed. During the rest of the day we use the overhead screen door.
Thanks for that. Good to know.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:41 AM

Belt drive are typically toothed belts (at least those I have had) so slippage would not be an issue. They are reinforced belts so stretching is unlikely beyond what can be adjusted.

The wall (side) mount openers are a little more costly but open up the ceiling space for a storage solution and are practically silent (except the door noise).
Old 05-19-2024, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,934 Times in 5,336 Posts

Note that even the chain driven garage openers have a rubber belt attached to the motor inside the opener housing.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,368 Times in 2,319 Posts

I have installed both (Chamberline make) and the belt drives are definitely much quieter. Also, these are self adjusting as there is a tension spring in the belt assembly, this avoids having the belt too loose or too tight. The instructions are very clear on how this is setup. I agree with many of the above comments, and really like the belt drive units.
Old 05-19-2024, 05:38 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,365 Times in 744 Posts

This may be helpful: Belt drive bicycles belts last two to three longer than a chain with no recommended retensioning.
Old 05-19-2024, 07:14 PM

Belts are MUCH MUCH quieter--almost silent. You probably will not hear it inside the house.

However, my wife and I decided that we actually liked the rattle/noise the chain makes because now we can hear when the garage door is going up or down.

Not a big issue but I like to know when somebody is opening the garage door (our in-laws used to let themselves in via the garage) and coming into the house.

Besides--how would the dogs know you are home? LOL They definitely hear the chain and run to the hallway door for the greet-party.

Belt much quieter if that is an issue for you...
Old 05-19-2024, 08:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,211 Times in 1,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgowan13 View Post
Belts are MUCH MUCH quieter--almost silent. You probably will not hear it inside the house.

However, my wife and I decided that we actually liked the rattle/noise the chain makes because now we can hear when the garage door is going up or down.

Not a big issue but I like to know when somebody is opening the garage door (our in-laws used to let themselves in via the garage) and coming into the house.

Besides--how would the dogs know you are home? LOL They definitely hear the chain and run to the hallway door for the greet-party.

Hubby and I knew when our dog's hearing was failing. When he got older he would no longer perk up when one of us opened the garage door when coming home, so I know what you mean.
Old 05-20-2024, 06:16 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,895 Times in 804 Posts

Quote:
My garage door with a chain could be easily heard outside from three houses away. Last summer I had a belt drive opener installed. (And I later discovered that it wasn’t even a good brand.) Now it is so quiet that I can barely hear it when I’m standing in the garage. Its quietness is almost unnerving. I love it.
Old 05-20-2024, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgowan13 View Post

My chamberlain is Wi-Fi enabled belt drive opener tells me when the garage door opens or closes on my phone through the MyQ app. Most importantly though, I scheduled it to close at 9 PM every night in case I forget to close it. The MyQ app is great. I can open and close it from anywhere and it lets you know the current status of the door. You can even add a camera if you want. It's the very first thing I replaced when I moved into my house last year.

Amazon.com

I didn't bother installing the key keypad because if somebody needs to get into my garage they can text me and I can open it for them (so I don't have to give out my code).

It's a little more spending but absolutely worth every penny.

Last edited by Switter; 05-20-2024 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-20-2024, 06:45 AM

6 years on a belt. No issues.
Old 05-20-2024, 06:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Go with the belt chain far too noisy , no problem with belt after 5 years .
Old 05-20-2024, 07:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
The chain does not make an appreciable amount of noise. The rollers, hinges, etc are the noise source.
Old 05-20-2024, 07:15 AM

Another choice is the Chamberlin DC Motor unit. This is a chain driven system that the chain needs no servicing. It is extremely quite like the belt drive. We agree with what someone said above, the only thing we hear is the door itself.

Tags
belt, drive, chain, slipping, replaced

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.