"Chickungunya" A Mosquito-Borne Disease Now In Florida

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2014, 01:38 PM
Veteran member
Default "Chickungunya" A Mosquito-Borne Disease Now In Florida

Chickungunya
Mosquito-Borne Disease Now in Florida

From this link UF/IFAS Extension : Chickungunya - mosquito-borne disease now in florida

Unusual name, Chickungunya; it actually means "bent over" or "contorted" disease as that is one of the symptoms. As of the 1st of July, you probably heard that some Floridians were diagnosed with the mosquito-borne illness chickungunya; but these were people who recently traveled to areas out of the country. As of July 17th, 2 Floridians, who have not traveled outside of Florida, have now been diagnosed with this disease. That means that the infected mosquitos are here.

Learn how to identify the pest, identify the symptoms, and how to best protect yourself from chickungunya. University of Florida IFAS Sumter County Extension Agents Jim Davis and Lloyd Singleton will present the latest information on Wednesday, August 6th from 2 p.m. until 3 p.m. at The Villages Sumter County Service Center, 7375 Powell Road, Room 201, Wildwood, Florida.

Free of charge; preregistration is required as seating is limited, so register early at https://chikungunya-sumter.eventbrite.com . It is not necessary to print tickets. Once registered, you will be on the attendee list.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	MOS  22310533-2fe1-4b64-a42e-33a97f364264.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	44030  
Old 07-30-2014, 02:57 PM
Veteran member

I am up north and not able to attend this meeting. Mosquitoes love me so I Googled Chickungunya to find out more information. Here's the link.

Symptoms | Chikungunya virus | CDC
Old 07-30-2014, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Maybe this is why I saw them spraying for mosquitoes last night.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Maybe this is why I saw them spraying for mosquitoes last night.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:10 PM
Sage

Mosquito spraying has been an ongoing event in The Villages. It is nothing new. The spraying works!

Can you imagine what the mosquito problem would be at the town squares at dusk if there was no spraying? I have not gotten any bites at the squares in the almost 5 years I have lived here. Just a couple of bites on the golf courses now and then in all that time period.

I was out to dinner in Mount Dora not long ago and we ate outdoors near one of the lakes. At sunset, the mosquitoes arrived in swarms! It was terrible.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.