The Christmas Tree Lighting at Brownwood.

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 12-01-2019, 04:38 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,578
Thanks: 3,372
Thanked 3,207 Times in 1,113 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Not happy to hear this about the tents.
According to most statistics, last night there were about 6000 people who didn't sit in the VIP tent and 50 who did. It sold out quickly.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #17  
Old 12-01-2019, 06:55 PM
Velvet's Avatar
Velvet Velvet is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2,424
Thanks: 383
Thanked 1,551 Times in 653 Posts
Default

I like the idea of everyone coming to see the lights free of charge, no special privileges for such an event, it is not a sports event or something. Everyone equally welcome.
  #18  
Old 12-01-2019, 08:45 PM
JoMar JoMar is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 4,070
Thanks: 10
Thanked 1,396 Times in 528 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I like the idea of everyone coming to see the lights free of charge, no special privileges for such an event, it is not a sports event or something. Everyone equally welcome.
And they were
__________________
No one believes the truth when the lie is more interesting

Berks County Pennsylvania
  #19  
Old 12-01-2019, 09:37 PM
600th Photo Sq 600th Photo Sq is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 862
Thanks: 1
Thanked 425 Times in 139 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Hundreds of people gather to watch as... - The Villages Daily Sun | Facebook

Click arrow on left side of the picture to see all of the pictures of this event.

P.S. It was free. NO charge as will be the other two, free as well.
I honestly do not see or get what the big deal is about lighting up a Xmas Tree at a " Gathering ". At the Square.

The tree lights go on hands clap, cheers, and............ meanwhile, people go away thinking.......now what.

Meanwhile, I will in the next few days put 1400 lights on my live holly tree without any fanfare and put the lights on a timer and welcome the happy compliments from the neighbors.

I shake my head at times when some make such a big deal out of nothing.

The person who was the chosen one to turn on the switch @ Brownwood was is and feels " Special " .


And those who were there well ahhh yes blissfull Memories
  #20  
Old 12-01-2019, 09:46 PM
anothersteve's Avatar
anothersteve anothersteve is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,198
Thanks: 382
Thanked 1,657 Times in 527 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
I honestly do not see or get what the big deal is about lighting up a Xmas Tree at a " Gathering ". At the Square.

The tree lights go on hands clap, cheers, and............ meanwhile, people go away thinking.......now what.

Meanwhile, I will in the next few days put 1400 lights on my live holly tree without any fanfare and put the lights on a timer and welcome the happy compliments from the neighbors.

I shake my head at times when some make such a big deal out of nothing.

The person who was the chosen one to turn on the switch @ Brownwood was is and feels " Special " .


And those who were there well ahhh yes blissfull Memories
So why would you want to diminish what others do to get in the mood/spirit?
Steve

Last edited by anothersteve; 12-01-2019 at 09:52 PM.
  #21  
Old 12-01-2019, 10:43 PM
EdFNJ EdFNJ is offline
Sage
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bailed out of NJ after 68yrs and headed south.
Posts: 2,546
Thanks: 537
Thanked 1,409 Times in 578 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
According to most statistics, last night there were about 6000 people who didn't sit in the VIP tent and 50 who did. It sold out quickly.
The newspaper said "hundreds." I don't think they could fit 6000 people in, around and on all the streets there. Not sure where those stats came from but I wasn't there so maybe it could have been that large. Who knows? Maybe the person who came up with those numbers will be on Dancing With The Stars in a few months!
  #22  
Old 12-02-2019, 07:01 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,578
Thanks: 3,372
Thanked 3,207 Times in 1,113 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
The newspaper said "hundreds." I don't think they could fit 6000 people in, around and on all the streets there. Not sure where those stats came from but I wasn't there so maybe it could have been that large. Who knows? Maybe the person who came up with those numbers will be on Dancing With The Stars in a few months!
Here is a picture. If you look at the bottom right of the picture you will see cones marking a "walkway" to the "tent" that seated fifty people.
Attached Thumbnails
lots-people-square-jpg  
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #23  
Old 12-02-2019, 07:10 AM
skip0358's Avatar
skip0358 skip0358 is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,278
Thanks: 77
Thanked 280 Times in 100 Posts
Default

If someone or some group wants to spend money to sit in a special place under cover with limited seating so be it. It's a donation to Charity besides. You don't have to get POd about it you'll never see a Circus tent go up and no way can they start charging everyone to go see it. Where can't you sit or stand and not see the tree light in the square? All of the Bars & Restaurants have outside seating. If I had wanted to go I'd have been at one of those places period. Enjoy the lite show that's why they do it period. If you don't like the crowds or don't like the tents stay home and watch it on your computer. Happy Holidays however you enjoy them!
__________________
Patchogue, NY; Village of Bonita Sept.09
  #24  
Old 12-02-2019, 07:20 AM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 5,130
Thanks: 445
Thanked 3,137 Times in 1,159 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Here is a picture. If you look at the bottom right of the picture you will see cones marking a "walkway" to the "tent" that seated fifty people.
I started counting them, but lost track after 12. I think I counted one guy twice.
  #25  
Old 12-02-2019, 08:21 AM
CWGUY's Avatar
CWGUY CWGUY is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,452
Thanks: 2,821
Thanked 1,060 Times in 496 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I started counting them, but lost track after 12. I think I counted one guy twice.
That could have been me that you counted twice..... I'm kind of a big guy. I made a resolution last New Years to loss 20 pounds ....... only have 25 lbs.to go!
__________________
__________________________________________________
Trying To Understand Some People Is Like Trying To Smell The Color 9
  #26  
Old 12-02-2019, 09:11 AM
hviergever hviergever is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4
Thanks: 9
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

What a disappointment this show was compared to previous years. We stood in the corner across from 5 Guys and heard very little or nothing, maybe a little of the lady leading the carols. The pictures on the front page appear to have been taken at rehearsal.... No candles, no colourful twirlers, drummers, (we got here at 5:30...did we miss them?). When I saw the tents for the paid seats, my thoughts were Shakespearean, Much Ado About Nothing.... What a source for division in our community.... If there had been a PR rep on the issue and explained to us all what the minimal plans were, I think the controversy could have been stopped in its tracks. Who here, along with me, thought those special seats were going to be at least half the middle sections of the grandstands. You know, the great seats, and probably several hundreds in total. And why at 8:00 pm? 7:00 was perfect. Standing around for that extra hour was such a waste waiting for SOMETHING, ANYTHING to happen. Actually, there should be embarrassment all round for thi flop. We used to go to at least one other lighting the color and the effort shown by the usual entertainers, but it's not gonna happen. I am also surprised no one else has commented with these sentiments yet on this thread....... Let the flaming begin.
  #27  
Old 12-02-2019, 09:14 AM
KRM0614 KRM0614 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 272
Thanks: 16
Thanked 109 Times in 81 Posts
Default

You’re kidding right ? The entire fee was for charity ? Who took the tax deduction not the person who paid the fee - if this is true then be transparent and show the homeowners the fee payers how much you collected and how much went for expenses donations etc

I don’t believe it - when did people lose common sense ? Too much sun ?
  #28  
Old 12-02-2019, 09:14 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,578
Thanks: 3,372
Thanked 3,207 Times in 1,113 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hviergever View Post
What a disappointment this show was compared to previous years. We stood in the corner across from 5 Guys and heard very little or nothing, maybe a little of the lady leading the carols. The pictures on the front page appear to have been taken at rehearsal.... No candles, no colourful twirlers, drummers, (we got here at 5:30...did we miss them?). When I saw the tents for the paid seats, my thoughts were Shakespearean, Much Ado About Nothing.... What a source for division in our community.... If there had been a PR rep on the issue and explained to us all what the minimal plans were, I think the controversy could have been stopped in its tracks. Who here, along with me, thought those special seats were going to be at least half the middle sections of the grandstands. You know, the great seats, and probably several hundreds in total. And why at 8:00 pm? 7:00 was perfect. Standing around for that extra hour was such a waste waiting for SOMETHING, ANYTHING to happen. Actually, there should be embarrassment all round for thi flop. We used to go to at least one other lighting the color and the effort shown by the usual entertainers, but it's not gonna happen. I am also surprised no one else has commented with these sentiments yet on this thread....... Let the flaming begin.

For Free, TAKE.
For Buy, COMPLAIN.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #29  
Old 12-02-2019, 09:17 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,578
Thanks: 3,372
Thanked 3,207 Times in 1,113 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM0614 View Post
You’re kidding right ? The entire fee was for charity ? Who took the tax deduction not the person who paid the fee - if this is true then be transparent and show the homeowners the fee payers how much you collected and how much went for expenses donations etc

I don’t believe it - when did people lose common sense ? Too much sun ?
50 people in the VIP tent paid to sit there and part of the fee went to charity. 50 out of all these people paid. ALL of these people you see in this picture were there FOR FREE.
Attached Thumbnails
lots-people-square-jpg  
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #30  
Old 12-02-2019, 09:20 AM
anothersteve's Avatar
anothersteve anothersteve is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,198
Thanks: 382
Thanked 1,657 Times in 527 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hviergever View Post
I am also surprised no one else has commented with these sentiments yet on this thread....... Let the flaming begin.
Maybe because no one, or very few, feel the way you do?
Steve
Closed Thread

Tags
christmas, tree, lighting, brownwood

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 AM.