Cloned Gate Cards still work!

Old 10-18-2023, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
It is not hard to wave your card or press a button. If it is raining one can go through the visitors gate and the attendant will open the gate for you. If The Villages installs a more passive system I would certainly use it. In the meantime, I will save $35.00 and just use my card.
We don’t have a visitors gate in our village. I have a cloned chip in my mirror and love it. Well worth the money when it’s poring rain or windy and cold. When/if I get another car, I’ll get one installed on that car, too.
Old 10-19-2023, 06:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,665 Times in 1,523 Posts

I talked to a lady at the Villages Business office this week and she told me that after the new year, my cloned card would not work. The new, replacement cards will not be able to be cloned. Not sure if she was blowing smoke, but I wonder how they will replace EVERYONE's gate cards, if the old ones won't work next year.
I enjoy having the little cloned disk inside my outside drivers side mirror. It's much faster and I no longer drop and fumble for the card when approaching a gate. I've only had a couple gates that it didn't work because the gate sensor was too high.
Old 10-19-2023, 08:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
I talked to a lady at the Villages Business office this week and she told me that after the new year, my cloned card would not work. The new, replacement cards will not be able to be cloned. Not sure if she was blowing smoke, but I wonder how they will replace EVERYONE's gate cards, if the old ones won't work next year.
I enjoy having the little cloned disk inside my outside drivers side mirror. It's much faster and I no longer drop and fumble for the card when approaching a gate. I've only had a couple gates that it didn't work because the gate sensor was too high.
They’re going to put card readers at the pools and don't want any cloning.
Old 10-19-2023, 08:24 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,990 Times in 765 Posts

Currently I believe The Villages uses 125kHz RFID cards there are some limitations they may change to a dual frequency reader that may not be able to be cloned on newly issued cards or replacements time will tell.
Old 10-19-2023, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,457 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post
They’re going to put card readers at the pools and don't want any cloning.
Where did you get this information? I would like to go to the audio recording of the meeting and listen to the details.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 10-19-2023, 10:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Nah, a reader/writer is about 10 bucks.

Amazon.com

The chips are about 40 cents each with the adhesive.
. That particular one likely won't work as it doesn't say "HID" compatible.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 10-19-2023, 10:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Currently I believe The Villages uses 125kHz RFID cards there are some limitations they may change to a dual frequency reader that may not be able to be cloned on newly issued cards or replacements time will tell.
. If NEW ones going forward l go that route, maybe, but then again it would seem pretty useless to have 120,000 as is current type and the next few thousand updated. It would seem to have to be "all or none" and I strongly doubt they plan on changing probably 100,000++ existing cards and every gate reader.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 10-19-2023 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-19-2023, 10:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge-pigeons View Post
Is $35 really going to make a difference in your budget? You would rather destroy your window motor or get your car wet to save a few bucks.
I’ve had my cars done and I got over a dozen cars done for $25 each.
. Why does there need to be so much rationalization for getting one of these? Window motors? Really. It's just an easy, lazy CONVENIENCE. People pi$$ away more money on cigarettes, or booze in one day then on one of these things.
Old 10-19-2023, 10:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
Following your logic is it safe to assume you never spend money at a restaurant since you can save the money by eating at home? If not, why is it worth $35 to eat one meal, but not $35 on a product that gives value day after day?

So much BS goes on here every time a thread like this gets started (and there seems to be an advertisement for someone else every month or 2 for a new thread).
Old 10-19-2023, 10:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
I talked to a lady at the Villages Business office this week and she told me that after the new year, my cloned card would not work. The new, replacement cards will not be able to be cloned. Not sure if she
. That shows how little she knows. If your card was actually **CLONED** what she says is impossible but if the person who did your card just entered RANDOM NUMBERS on it that are not in The Villages database ONLY THEN is that possible. **IF** what she said was true they would have to replace every single existing card which is probably well over 100,000. It is POSSIBLE that NEWLY ISSUED cards may not be able to be cloned but all existing ones will be fine and could still be cloned.
Old 10-19-2023, 11:44 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
. It is POSSIBLE that NEWLY ISSUED cards may not be able to be cloned but all existing ones will be fine and could still be cloned.
& if that possibility for newly issed cards happens, it would only be until the cloning device manufacturers catch up with the new technology, then back to business as usual.
Old 10-19-2023, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,277 Posts

Unless you see global card replacement cost in a budget somewhere, it's not going to happen.
Old 10-19-2023, 01:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,871 Times in 5,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
& if that possibility for newly issed cards happens, it would only be until the cloning device manufacturers catch up with the new technology, then back to business as usual.
Hopefully, if new gate cards are issued, they will have sufficient range so that it won't be necessary to apply plastic discs inside the mirror.
Old 10-19-2023, 02:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,665 Times in 1,523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
. That shows how little she knows. If your card was actually **CLONED** what she says is impossible but if the person who did your card just entered RANDOM NUMBERS on it that are not in The Villages database ONLY THEN is that possible. **IF** what she said was true they would have to replace every single existing card which is probably well over 100,000. It is POSSIBLE that NEWLY ISSUED cards may not be able to be cloned but all existing ones will be fine and could still be cloned.
Next time, I'll ask her to speak to you. You seem to assume that what they do with it might concern me....it doesn't. I like the convenience of the chip inside my mirror. It's a CONVENIENCE, not something that would make me wish to move away. I also enjoyed the built-in garage door opener button on my rear view mirror. It's a CONVENIENCE. I did not ask her for more information regarding the gate cards because I was there for an entirely different purpose. Personally, I doubt they can do anything that can't be cloned. I find it ridiculous that they are even concerned with anyone having the cards, since ANYONE can simply push the red button. After all, these are public roads and no one can be kept out. Like the lady said, "we have a community with gates, not a gated community." That's why I find it ludicrous to invest money into a nothingburger.
Old 10-20-2023, 01:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff.wilner@gmail.com View Post
I just had a new cloned gate card installed on my new car and it works well in all the gates I have tried. As mentioned in previous posts, it would be difficult for the developer to make the cloned cards not work (since they are exact copies of the originals).
I had mine done by "The Village Blacksmith" for $35. Ellie Yifrach was professional and ensured that it would work.
If you are considering getting this done, I highly recommend Ellie. His contact number is: 352-530-5984.
Alternatively, I bought a clone card maker on Amazon for less that came with 10 blanks. Works great.

Tags
cloned, work, gate, ellie, cards

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.