Coin appraisal

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2015, 09:03 AM
Default Coin appraisal

Can someone recommend a a reliable, honest coin appraiser?? Thanks
Old 03-01-2015, 09:44 AM
Platinum member

I am not an appraiser, but curious what type of coin you have? Looking on ebay will give a good idea of the coin's retail value. It is not what the coin is worth, but what someone will pay for it...
Old 03-01-2015, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,346 Times in 520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I am not an appraiser, but curious what type of coin you have? Looking on ebay will give a good idea of the coin's retail value. It is not what the coin is worth, but what someone will pay for it...
It's just my opinion could be mile off my observation
Unless you have a coin that's extremely rare or proof minted coin it's only value is melt value.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

Not necessarily true. There are many collector coins outside these two categories.
Have a look on EBay.

Last edited by Bogie Shooter; 03-02-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:00 PM

Bob's jewelry on 441 buys and sells coins
Old 03-02-2015, 02:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
It's just my opinion could be mile off my observation
Unless you have a coin that's extremely rare or proof minted coin it's only value is melt value.
When someone asks for help regarding a specific subject, they aren't looking for opinions, they are asking for help and an answer to their query!

Mleeja -- practically everything has value, and not just what someone will pay for it. If that was the case, there wouldn't be any such thing as an appraiser. There is a market price for just about everything.

To karostay -- a coin doesn't have to be "extremely rare," etc." to be worth more than its melt value. That is simply not true!
Old 03-02-2015, 04:38 AM

I have an old bag of all different coins that my in laws had in their safe deposit box
Old 03-02-2015, 08:14 AM

Bob's coins, located accross from Walmart in Summerfield has always been very fair when i have bought and sold coins with him. EBAY will give you a good idea of retail value, This is NOT the value you will receive from a local coin buyer. Most dealers pay a percentage of "grey sheet" price. These can sometimes be quite different from retail. That said, listing each coin on EBAY, dealing with buyer, paying listing and final value fees and dealing with shipping can all be difficult.

If i were you, i'd take them to BOB and see what he offers. If you don't like it, do something else with them.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
When someone asks for help regarding a specific subject, they aren't looking for opinions, they are asking for help and an answer to their query!

Mleeja -- practically everything has value, and not just what someone will pay for it. If that was the case, there wouldn't be any such thing as an appraiser. There is a market price for just about everything.

To karostay -- a coin doesn't have to be "extremely rare," etc." to be worth more than its melt value. That is simply not true!
Says who
Old 03-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post

And here is my opinion!
Old 03-02-2015, 07:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
And here is my opinion!
I'll give you 2 cents for your dime
Old 03-02-2015, 08:26 PM
Platinum member

When someone does not have an idea of the value of a coin, looking on ebay will give the person an idea of the retail value. Knowing that you can then go to a coin dealer to have the coins appraised as an educated seller. If the person apprasing the coins gives you a price which is significently below retail value, then you might want to inquire why or seek a second appraisal. Hence my comment, a coin may be worth $20.00 but if someone will only pay $10.00 for it, then its value is $10.00. Take the others advice and go see Bob's coins. Just don't go as an uninformed seller. And that is my opnion, errr advice.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:26 AM
Gold member

Just a suggestion: Maybe Villagers from the Coin Clubs could help you?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.