Comparing Epoxy floor to Square snap-in tiles for Garage

Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2021, 08:13 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lockett View Post
I am from Canada but have gone to the villages for the last 9 years. Epoxy is the only way to go. The floor won't be level and therefor the other option just won't work. The epoxy floor will stand up better and last a lot longer. Epoxy won't show wear as any option will.
John
I have had my tiles since 2007. When installed correctly, tiles lay flat. Many garages have a taper, (I believe for water flow from walls). My installer skim coated that to insure a smooth transition. At 14 years all look great. Will last much longer since there is absolutely no wear on the tiles. Dirt under tiles not a problem.
Old 05-31-2021, 08:48 AM
Default Condensation on Garage Floor. Tip - Turn off A/C before getting home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
We did epoxy from Mr Miller. Looks fantastic. However when car A/C dumps it's water the floor gets quite slippery (even with double++ sharkbite). Also, since it is not porous like the originl unsealed concrete was it takes quite a while to evaporate so it stays wet & slippery. Considered the tile, actually bought a bunch to to try and just didn't like it. Epoxy looks great, Miller does an A+ job you just have to consider the pluses and minuses and what is best for you. Been almost 3 years, no chips dings or dents.
I turn off my air conditioner / compressor about a mile before I arrive home. The condensation evaporates BEFORE I get home and I do not have water on the garage floor. Works every time.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRDave View Post
I’ve had an epoxy garage floor for over 15 years & it’s holding up great!! No hot tire lift, chipping, or staining.
The first thing the installer told me was NEVER mop it with a soapy solution. ONLY use an Ammonia solution in clean hot water.
Using soap will leave a residual soap film that gets extremely slick when the floor gets wet. Because I’ve always only mopped my floor with ammonia my floor is never slick when wet. I love it and you will too. 😎
Ah, a tip well worth reading TOTV prior to making a long term decision.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:26 AM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

most don'know urEthane top coat is rqd to protect epoxy base ton floor alum oxide's the best for slipproofing but can impart gray shade. WARNING
NON-skid is absorbed by the epoxy. It must be applied while the epoxy is wet. Once dry install urethane w/ grit for safety use a little sand will break down or water on the floor and your feet will slide out from under you.
Some one will get hurt and a lawsuit should be considered. Their is no aftermarket solution. It looks gorgeous, its costly and very dangerous. You have been warned.
The plastic tiles in our 6 car garage held up very well. Very attractive. Install is very quick. Downside is dirt and water gets trapped under them, bet the geckos will love their new hideouts underneath. If you have non leaky vehicles, no oil, brake fluid or battery acid use the same stuff that folks get put on their driveway. Get Solvent based.
Regrettably our garage floor looks like very highly polished granite, beautiful and dangerous as hell. Anyone tell you different its because they are still on the learning curve.

QUOTE=davefin;1939605]I went with epoxy as floor is NOT level for tiles to lay correctly.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Old 06-01-2021, 09:50 AM
Default Cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskaggs View Post
I am getting a quote on both—epoxy from Miller, and tiles from Custom Closets. Two totally different systems. Can anyone compare them, or give pros and cons?
Has anyone had epoxy done recently that can provide cost? Looking at 2 plus golf cart garage.
Old 06-03-2021, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tactone@aol.com View Post
Has anyone had epoxy done recently that can provide cost? Looking at 2 plus golf cart garage.
I think my 2+ will be around $1800
Closed Thread

Tags
tiles, pros, give, compare, systems

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.