Concerns of a prospective TOTV member

Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Founder
Default Concerns of a prospective TOTV member

The administrators recently received a message from an individual who was afraid that if they joined and began posting, they would be ridiculed by a certain few of the current members. Boy we sure were sorry to hear that anybody would hesitate to join for that reason.

There are those who like to say that one needs "A thick skin" to belong to a chat forum. Not Talk of The Villages. "Thick Skin" is not required here.

We would remind all our current and future members that Talk of The Villages is a friendly place and that all posters should be treated in a respectful and friendly manner.

Thank you
Your friendly administrators

Old 07-26-2010, 06:35 PM
Banned
Default Well...it happens

Happened to me. I can't spell worth a darn. And can't type very well either but who cares. I don't. I figured out the type that do this though. I am fairly sure it is several of my old english teacher from school. We didn't really gell. I was not the best student and let them know.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Taltarzac
Default "A thick skin" is needed on the political forums though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
The administrators recently received a message from an individual who was afraid that if they joined and began posting, they would be ridiculed by a certain few of the current members. Boy we sure were sorry to hear that anybody would hesitate to join for that reason.

There are those who like to say that one needs "A thick skin" to belong to a chat forum. Not Talk of The Villages. "Thick Skin" is not required here.

We would remind all our current and future members that Talk of The Villages is a friendly place and that all posters should be treated in a respectful and friendly manner.

Thank you
Your friendly administrators

Alligator hide is needed for the political forum though as well as when the various threads turn political.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:47 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

There are certain people on every talk site that feel compelled to point out their disagreement in a disagreeable way. I presume that most of them would not be as abrupt, confrontational, and downright nasty if they weren't on a relatively anonymous forum. There are ways to point out a disagreement without being insulting or dismissive, but some people don't seem to have that ability. I am with you TH, and would encourage you to strike posts that are unduly combative.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:57 PM
Sage

I agree all should write in a manner they would use if speaking directly to a person. It's easy to be picky or nasty when you can't actually see the person and easy for some to forget that a real person wrote what they're responding to.

Thanks for the reminder.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:58 PM
Veteran member

13,870 new set of eyes came here and only one voiced concern? I would say that is a very good ratio? But like they say, one complaint is one too many.

Last edited by Pats2010; 07-26-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats2010 View Post
13,870 new set of eyes came here and only one voiced concern? I would say that is a very good ratio? But like they say, one complaint is one too many.
Sadly that was not the only comment. It was, however, the one that prompted me to make this post.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Sage

Dear concerned perspective TOTV members,

Please feel welcome here.

I first met some dear friends in TV on TOTV. TOTV is a friendly, warm and welcoming place. Administrators Talk Host and Tony do an admirable job of monitoring and disallowing meanness. Although it might be hard sometimes to draw the line, very rarely, except in the political thread, will you find anyone, to use ewwiseenbach's phrase, being "insulting or dismissive" of other people and/or their opinions. However, you won't even see that forum unless you "opt in". Even if you opt in, you don't have to post there. It is the only place on TOTV where alligator hide is needed.

If syntax is your concern, 99.9 percent of us don't care about your grammar and spelling, but do care to welcome you, help out if we can and seek out your thoughts and advice when you have them to share.

Give us a try, ok? We'd love to hear from you. Please feel welcome here.

PTurner

Last edited by Pturner; 07-26-2010 at 09:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-26-2010, 08:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany
Default Stop Correcting People . . .

I had the same fear about posting comments. After reading TOTV for several months I noticed that those who are ridiculed or get put down fall into three categories:

1) They have an attitude to begin with, or
2) it is about grammar, spelling, etc., or
3) it is meant in a good natured way, but misunderstood.

I can understand category 1 and 3.

For category 2: if you can understand the poster's intent, whether he/she can spell or has poor grammar, please don't point out the mistakes. Doing so probably keeps a number of people from participating who may have valuable information for us all, or questions that need answers. Correcting misspelled words and grammar doesn't make you look smarter; it makes you look picky and ill mannered. If you would not correct someone's speech in person, continue that courtesy online.

Okay, thats mie too sense wurth.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:26 PM
Eternal Member

Not only do we get corrected but the post usually deteriorates into a grammar lesson post.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Sage

Sure we're all going to make mistakes like using they're instead of there etc.

One thing I could point out to all is that you can, by using Firefox, automatically correct your spelling as you type, just like in Word. While that won't stop misuse of words it will catch your normal typos.

Does that mean that I'm going to stop telling people that it's SUMTER not SUMPTER? Heck no. You've been warned
Old 07-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,228 Times in 757 Posts

‘bout dem pitchforks and torches......

I wish I did not feel like I have to try to explain this, but I am getting the feeling that I do so here goes….

I have fun with the running routine about English majors that shows up here once in a while -- poor besmirched, put-upon Boomer. (sigh)

That English major routine that I get into is all in fun. I know that. And I hope others do, too.

But pointing at someone’s post and correcting for grammar or spelling or punctuation is not in good fun. In fact, I think it’s kind of mean. I have never done that. And I never will.

A little known fact about most English majors: Most English majors are interested mainly in how the writer feeeeeels. Most English majors are far too busy reading between the lines to care about what's actually on the lines. (Please do not ask me how I know this.)

Besides, I do lots of things that I am certain could drive the pure and righteous grammarians nuts. (I hope so anyway.)

It’s weird to feel like I need to try to explain this. I have been so comfortable around here, for such a long time. And, btw, I was once afraid to post, too.

Well, it’s getting close to midnight, and I have a rule for myself that I should never type after midnight. Who knows what I might write? I might even start telling that story again -- for the 4th time -- the one about my friend who used to hang out in bars telling lies to guys who hit on her -- saying she worked for the phone company -- rather than admitting that she was that pariah of all pariahs -- the dreaded English teacher.

Goodnight.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 07-26-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Boomer, everyone knows the running joke about you being an English major, and loves your posts. I can't recall you ever bringing out your red pen and making corrections on others' posts in this forum.

Oh no, remember getting your paper back in class and seeing all those dreadful red corrections??

Yes, it's after midnight and now I'll have that nightmare about not being able to find my locker in school . . . .
Old 07-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,228 Times in 757 Posts

K9,

Thanks.

I still have nightmares about my best friend not picking me for her team in gym class. NEVER! Just because I was terribly uncoordinated. Still am. (I dance like Elaine on Seinfeld.) We are still best friends today, but that does not mean that I do not bring this issue up from time to time.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 07-26-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I might even start telling that story again -- for the 4th time -- the one about my friend who used to hang out in bars telling lies to guys who hit on her -- saying she worked for the phone company -- rather than admitting that she was that pariah of all pariahs -- the dreaded English teacher.

Goodnight.

Boomer

You're not Mrs Traphagen are you?

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)

Last edited by chuckinca; 07-27-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.