Confederate Flag / Political Flag

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #76  
Old 02-01-2020, 10:58 AM
golfing eagles's Avatar
golfing eagles golfing eagles is online now
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: East Meadow NY, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Auburn NY, Lake Deaton
Posts: 7,278
Thanks: 193
Thanked 4,593 Times in 1,374 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I don't think "garden gnomes" and flamingos and crosses and stars of David and other "lawn stuff" are "banned" for religious reason but only to keep them from multiplying like rabbits ending up as 150 "garden gnomes" and flamingos and other stuff on one person's lawn turning our neighborhoods into what looks like a novelty shop.
In which case it might be offensive to the neighbors, kind of like a Nazi flag?
  #77  
Old 02-01-2020, 11:04 AM
EnglishJW's Avatar
EnglishJW EnglishJW is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 614
Thanks: 412
Thanked 98 Times in 36 Posts
Default

I am hoping to lighten this up just a bit. We once had a very impressive flag pole that could be used to display numerous flags simultaneously. We usually flew four flags in fact. The top flag was always the United States flag. But after that, it was primarily a question of who got up first (yes, all of the flags were taken down each evening). If it was my son, the Brasilian flag was second. If it was my wife, the Italian flag was second. If it was me, the Irish flag came second. We never did actually resolve the order of the 3rd and 4th flags. Oh, and those last three flags were always smaller in size then the U.S. flag.
__________________
Garden Staters
  #78  
Old 02-01-2020, 11:22 AM
Andyb Andyb is offline
Member
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 98
Thanks: 28
Thanked 147 Times in 55 Posts
Default

It’s his first amendment right. Ignore it and move on.
  #79  
Old 02-01-2020, 11:30 AM
golfing eagles's Avatar
golfing eagles golfing eagles is online now
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: East Meadow NY, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Auburn NY, Lake Deaton
Posts: 7,278
Thanks: 193
Thanked 4,593 Times in 1,374 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyb View Post
It’s his first amendment right. Ignore it and move on.
Then so is a garden gnome, correct?
  #80  
Old 02-01-2020, 11:30 AM
Nucky's Avatar
Nucky Nucky is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 10,228
Thanks: 2,940
Thanked 2,525 Times in 1,428 Posts
Default

I've moved on already. The flags are down, my original questions were simple and I appreciate every answer, even the ones that were a little rough. I was searching for info I couldn't find on my own. Now I have to much info.
  #81  
Old 02-01-2020, 11:32 AM
l2ridehd's Avatar
l2ridehd l2ridehd is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bridgeport At Miona Shores
Posts: 3,574
Thanks: 1
Thanked 293 Times in 97 Posts
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPacers View Post
The vast majority of the time the confederate flag means two things. One of which is the person flying the flag is likely uneducated. The second is obvious and often follows the first. While it may be someone's right to fly the flag it doesn't make it desireable to have it in your neighborhood.
That is a generalization that I do not agree with. There all uneducated? Really? So the 100's of thousands of Americans who fought and died for the South in the civil war were just a bunch of dumb folks? Again I disagree. There was more than one reason for the civil war. Slavery was the one the media hype at the time drove to recruit more solders from the North to fight. It was a reason and for many the primary reason, but for just as many it was states rights. Heresy to say it but it is true.

Lets just suppose that someone here grew up in the South and had a great great someone who fought and died in that horrible war. Maybe they were flying the flag on that person birthday or the day they died. Some very valid reason. And you claim they must be uneducated. Very sad way to think.
__________________
Life is to short to drink cheap wine.
  #82  
Old 02-01-2020, 11:45 AM
ColdNoMore ColdNoMore is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Between 466 & 466A
Posts: 10,512
Thanks: 82
Thanked 1,493 Times in 672 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
That is a generalization that I do not agree with. There all uneducated? Really? So the 100's of thousands of Americans who fought and died for the South in the civil war were just a bunch of dumb folks? Again I disagree. There was more than one reason for the civil war. Slavery was the one the media hype at the time drove to recruit more solders from the North to fight. It was a reason and for many the primary reason, but for just as many it was states rights. Heresy to say it but it is true.

Lets just suppose that someone here grew up in the South and had a great great someone who fought and died in that horrible war. Maybe they were flying the flag on that person birthday or the day they died. Some very valid reason. And you claim they must be uneducated. Very sad way to think.

And what "state's right"...were they wanting?

You can answer...
HERE
  #83  
Old 02-01-2020, 12:28 PM
Velvet's Avatar
Velvet Velvet is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2,918
Thanks: 609
Thanked 1,969 Times in 858 Posts
Default

...

Last edited by Velvet; 02-01-2020 at 12:33 PM.
  #84  
Old 02-01-2020, 12:42 PM
davefin davefin is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Village of Hillsborough
Posts: 146
Thanks: 0
Thanked 48 Times in 16 Posts
Default

I am lost here. What is the Political Flag referenced in the original post? If not a USA flag, just get over it, go back to bed and rest.
__________________
"Always remember, your are unique, just like everyone else"
  #85  
Old 02-01-2020, 01:12 PM
rwfisher1969's Avatar
rwfisher1969 rwfisher1969 is offline
Member
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Village of Winifred
Posts: 79
Thanks: 764
Thanked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
On a different issue or conflict and if they were my neighbor I would talk about it with them if I saw them outside. Knock on the door?? Not even a remote chance. I do understand your idea and 20 years ago maybe it would have worked for me but as of today that idea is a no go. I could ask you to go for me but I don't want to be disrespectful as you don't deserve that. Disrespect is what made me post in the first place but it wasn't the disrespect of a person it was the disrespect of The AMERICAN FLAG.

I don't want to stop someone from flying the other flags that are there now but the way I understand it THE AMERICAN FLAG is flown in the top position. My main QUESTION was who do I contact to have this corrected if in fact it is wrong. It seems wrong but I'm looking for help from someone who is in the know and confirmation that the AMERICAN FLAG should be present.

One of the replies I got so far the wildest one by far was was move back north. After reading my original post thats your answer? Are you the person with the flags I'm talking about? I did mention I was looking for guidance and was being constructive. I'm not trying to change anybody's feelings or view about the flags that are there now. What they think about those flags is not my business. The Flag that's missing is our business.

If the answer is that the flag configuration I mentioned is fine I guess I have to accept it. If someone know who to call please let me know.
Just because there is a flagpole does not mean that an American flag needs to be flown from it. Yes, if an American flag is present, it is to be above others.
  #86  
Old 02-01-2020, 01:26 PM
Boomer Boomer is offline
Soaring Parsley
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,251
Thanks: 4
Thanked 969 Times in 252 Posts
Default

We are living in a time that should force us to think about who we really are — as individuals — to acknowledge our own truth, our personal code, what’s in there, deep down, telling us who we really are.

But it is also a time that often shows us who others really are.

So here we all are, with a lot to think about. - - - “Oh say can you see . . .”

Last edited by Boomer; 02-01-2020 at 01:37 PM.
  #87  
Old 02-01-2020, 02:01 PM
Dukester's Avatar
Dukester Dukester is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: South of 466A
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Go to dos.myflorida.com this is the Florida State Department with flag protocol and requirements. They also have a contact procedure via email or phone number. You should find out who to contact.
  #88  
Old 02-01-2020, 02:13 PM
l2ridehd's Avatar
l2ridehd l2ridehd is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bridgeport At Miona Shores
Posts: 3,574
Thanks: 1
Thanked 293 Times in 97 Posts
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

And what "state's right"...were they wanting?

You can answer...
HERE
The North and the South were very divided in the late 1850's, very much like our political parties are today. Not really rational but still a fact.

The North was very industrial and the South was very much a farming area of the country so each wanted very different things from the Federal government.

States rights were only one of many reasons that divided the North and South. Slavery was one of those and a major one, but we seem to forget the others. Expansion was a big one (Texas) wanted to become an independent country as early as 1835 and again in 1857. Bleeding Kansas which was a very violent conflict about the legality of slavery and at that time in Kansas slavery was not legal. Abraham Lincoln was a president who had very divided support over most of the country. He won the 1860 presidential election without being on the ballot in ten Southern states. The right of secession. Some states wanted to leave because of slavery and some because they wanted to become a country of their own not beholding to the government. Seven states left to become independent and after some time 4 more states joined them.

I have never suggested slavery was not one of the main reasons for that war, but we just can't forget all the reasons and there were many. The country was very very divided back then very much like we are today. And everyone knows that today there are many many reasons why we are divided today. It was not then nor is it now a one issue reason.
__________________
Life is to short to drink cheap wine.
  #89  
Old 02-01-2020, 02:39 PM
OlifOlif OlifOlif is offline
Member
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Near the golf course
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I know of someone who did this at another community located nearby. I understand that there was no conflicts! At last check, this was still going on! So there!
  #90  
Old 02-01-2020, 02:47 PM
ColdNoMore ColdNoMore is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Between 466 & 466A
Posts: 10,512
Thanks: 82
Thanked 1,493 Times in 672 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
The North and the South were very divided in the late 1850's, very much like our political parties are today. Not really rational but still a fact.

The North was very industrial and the South was very much a farming area of the country so each wanted very different things from the Federal government.

States rights were only one of many reasons that divided the North and South. Slavery was one of those and a major one, but we seem to forget the others. Expansion was a big one (Texas) wanted to become an independent country as early as 1835 and again in 1857. Bleeding Kansas which was a very violent conflict about the legality of slavery and at that time in Kansas slavery was not legal. Abraham Lincoln was a president who had very divided support over most of the country. He won the 1860 presidential election without being on the ballot in ten Southern states. The right of secession. Some states wanted to leave because of slavery and some because they wanted to become a country of their own not beholding to the government. Seven states left to become independent and after some time 4 more states joined them.

I have never suggested slavery was not one of the main reasons for that war, but we just can't forget all the reasons and there were many. The country was very very divided back then very much like we are today. And everyone knows that today there are many many reasons why we are divided today. It was not then nor is it now a one issue reason.

Sorry, but that's simply the continued attempted revisionism...to try and obfuscate facts and the truth.

It is most definitely hate...NOT heritage.
Closed Thread

Tags
flag, confederate, flown, political, call

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 PM.