Continued Car GPS Problems.

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2023, 01:52 PM
Default Continued Car GPS Problems.

We moved into DeLuna 3 weeks ago. Both car GPS programs- Waze and Google Maps refuse to route us through any villages to our destination. In every instance they take us around The Villages- 301 to 466, etc, then into the final village if that is our destination. One day it sent us 15 miles to get to a place we later figured out was only 2 miles away- through The Villages.

Today we were on 466A and wanted to go to the Village of McClure- we had no idea how to get there. It took us to 301, then Warm Springs, then to McClure. We noticed at the round-about that we could have gone down Marsh Bend Trail- through DeLuna instead of around. It has NEVER taken us through The Villages to get to our destination. My wife thinks the Apps are avoiding gates because not everyone has gate cards.

Any way- has anyone heard of this? Is there a setting to fix this?

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2023, 02:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,916 Times in 919 Posts

The solution is to learn the roads in TV to relieve yourself of GPS reliance.

The best way to do this is to get the directions from Google maps, write them down and then drive it looking at landmarks. . humans use landmarks for mental navigation. or just follow signs and see where they lead you!

you will feel more comfortable and keep your eyes on the road longer, and help your brain health keeping it in learning mode. . .

not the answer you were probably expecting, but the better long term answer
Old 08-03-2023, 02:15 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,978 Times in 757 Posts

Haven't had that problem yet.
Old 08-03-2023, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,411 Times in 2,072 Posts

Are these apps loaded into your car or are you using them from your phone? If they are in your car then it is possible they have not been updated with the latest map information. If there is a way to update your maps, that might help.

Even google maps or Waze on the phone may not have all the roads in the new neighborhood yet. If that is the case then it will just take time.

I suggest downloading the free Villages apps and use the directions from that until google/Waze maps are working for you. If you have an iPhonea and CarPlay then it will be almost as convenient as your in-car system.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-03-2023, 02:34 PM
Sage

I think Sportsguy gives good advice. Using his instructions you would also learn which lane to be in as your approach a roundabout. That would help the other drivers stay calm.
Old 08-03-2023, 02:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,670 Times in 945 Posts

Try setting your route setting to "shortest" rather than "fastest".
Old 08-03-2023, 03:20 PM

The roads of Deluna have been on google maps for the last year ; Both Android and I Phone. I’d imagine your issue is with your cars built in maps software. I’d recommend googling it to see if you can update it yourself… Or you might have to take it to the dealer for an update…..or read the owners manual.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondboy View Post
The roads of Deluna have been on google maps for the last year ; Both Android and I Phone. I’d imagine your issue is with your cars built in maps software. I’d recommend googling it to see if you can update it yourself… Or you might have to take it to the dealer for an update…..or read the owners manual.
The dealer will likely charge an arm and a leg and it will immediately be obsolete due to rapid construction here. Use the free Villages app. I’ve not had a problem using Waze or Google maps on my phone for driving in TV.
Old 08-03-2023, 05:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,180 Times in 2,263 Posts

I use the Villages (free) app, Green background big white V, this offers both CAR and Golf cart directions, it has voice readout, and in general has been very accurate. I have no idea if you can download to your car, but with a suitable phone holder it works very well.
Old 08-03-2023, 05:20 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Google maps and Waze have become better south of 44. I nagged them incessantly. Still too much of the area shows as dirt. Much work still to be done
Old 08-03-2023, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

They must be updating the areas now. We are in Amelia (just NORTH of 466A) and about 2 weeks ago around 8AM a Google Earth truck was scanning the neighborhood. Maybe they'll get down south before the end of the millennia.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 08-03-2023, 06:50 PM
Veteran member

One of the biggest problems with apps like Apple, Google and Waze is they tend to route you around the gates that are in the Villages, assuming that we are a "gated" community. For example, going up Morse Blvd to 441, they will all take you over 466a or 466 to get to Rolling Acres road.
Old 08-04-2023, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
We moved into DeLuna 3 weeks ago. Both car GPS programs- Waze and Google Maps refuse to route us through any villages to our destination. In every instance they take us around The Villages- 301 to 466, etc, then into the final village if that is our destination. One day it sent us 15 miles to get to a place we later figured out was only 2 miles away- through The Villages.

Today we were on 466A and wanted to go to the Village of McClure- we had no idea how to get there. It took us to 301, then Warm Springs, then to McClure. We noticed at the round-about that we could have gone down Marsh Bend Trail- through DeLuna instead of around. It has NEVER taken us through The Villages to get to our destination. My wife thinks the Apps are avoiding gates because not everyone has gate cards.

Thanks!
Common problem if you haven't had your car GPS maps updated recently so that it recognizes the new streets in the area.
Old 08-04-2023, 04:56 AM
Veteran member

I use village app and get the voice option thru my hearing aids. I can put phone in cup holder in cart and be on my way.
Old 08-04-2023, 05:08 AM
Location: Baton Rouge Louisiana now the Village of Chitty Chatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post

Thanks!
That’s strange . I have a 2018’with car play and use the map that came on my apple phone and I can type it any Rec center or business in villages and it takes me right to it . I suspect maybe it’s a setting . My dealer is pretty nice and will help me with something like a setting issue when I ask the service writer . Not sure what’s wrong , but yiu should have that capability so I would call the local dealer and ask for service as a starting point. I know it’s frustrating . Good luck
Closed Thread

Tags
destination, villages, deluna, miles, car

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.