Fame...For ALL The Wrong Reasons

Closed Thread
Old 08-08-2023, 07:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,726 Times in 1,553 Posts
Default Fame...For ALL The Wrong Reasons

Well, TV is on the news not only nationally but internationally as well. The infamous Glenview Punch, thanks to the magic of instant worldwide communication, has made Twin Cities NewsTalk up in Minneapolis, as well as the Daily Mail in the UK. Probably other outlets as well. I don't know.

"Sad" doesn't even begin to describe this, and IMO says far less about TV than it does about the boundless appetite for prurience and scandal that is endemic with our race. As Johnny Cash once sang "Bad news travels like wildfire, good news travels slow". The church I attend here in TV fills thousands of shoeboxes each year with food, treats, necessities, etc. as part of "Operation Christmas Child" which are then distributed in various third-world countries. I doubt that "news" of that extends more than a few blocks from the church. But this news about an (apparently) alcohol-fueled rage and the tragic, though in reality accidental, death of another person has wings!

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the Internet in general and Social Media in particular will become, in the end, the greatest evil our society has ever been plagued with.
Old 08-08-2023, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,018 Times in 4,178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Well, TV is on the news not only nationally but internationally as well. The infamous Glenview Punch has made Twin Cities NewsTalk up in Minneapolis, as well as the Daily Mail in the UK.

"Sad" doesn't even begin to describe this, and IMO says far less about TV than it does about the boundless appetite for prurience and scandal that is endemic with our race. As Johnny Cash once sang "Bad news travels like wildfire, good news travels slow". The church I attend here in TV fills thousands of shoeboxes each year with food, treats, necessities, etc. as part of "Operation Christmas Child" which are then distributed in various third-world countries. I doubt that "news" of that extends more than a few blocks from the church. But this news about an (apparently) alcohol-fueled rage and the tragic, though in reality accidental, death of another person has wings!

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the Internet in general and Social Media in particular will become, in the end, the greatest evil our society has ever been plagued with.
Pretty amazing that it made national news, especially during a weekend that saw 32 people, 8 fatally shot in Chicago alone. But let's not report that.

Shortly after I moved from NYC to a small upstate city 36 years ago, a local man got out of bed at 3 AM, while his wife remained asleep, drove to a nearby farm and raped a pig (yes, a 4 legged swine). This made national news as well, I got call from friends asking what kind of place I moved to. Every day good deeds probably outnumber bad deeds by a hundred to one, but yet we all know what the news reports.
Old 08-08-2023, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,934 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Shortly after I moved from NYC to a small upstate city 36 years ago, a local man got out of bed at 3 AM, while his wife remained asleep, drove to a nearby farm and raped a pig (yes, a 4 legged swine).
LOL! I would love to see the police report on that one! how was he caught, in the act? sleepwalking defense? restitution? support payments? LOL!
Old 08-08-2023, 08:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
LOL! I would love to see the police report on that one! how was he caught, in the act? sleepwalking defense? restitution? support payments? LOL!
The story got better and better. He was caught by the farmer who heard the pig squeal. When interviewed by the local newspaper, the farmer stated that he couldn’t tell whether the pig was squealing in “pain or delight”.
We’ve always wondered what the wife was like that he felt the need to leave her bed to ***k a pig
Old 08-08-2023, 08:07 AM
Gold member

Quote:
.... an (apparently) alcohol-fueled rage and the tragic, though in reality accidental, death of another person has wings!
I can't believe that punching someone in the head, because they might have hit his car, can in anyway be considered an accident. It was intentional, it was rage fueled, but it was not an accident & the resulting death which is tragic, is a direct result of that intentional attack.
Old 08-08-2023, 08:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
The story got better and better. He was caught by the farmer who heard the pig squeal. When interviewed by the local newspaper, the farmer stated that he couldn’t tell whether the pig was squealing in “pain or delight”.
We’ve always wondered what the wife was like that he felt the need to leave her bed to ***k a pig
How quickly we deviate from the topic at hand! But hilarious nevertheless.

We had dinner with a friend and his wife last night who are missionaries. They told a story about how they had taken a group of students to Marrakesh, Morocco. A local guy offered to trade his camel for one of the women in the group. I was tempted to ask how many camels is the going price for a woman in Marrakesh but thought the better of it considering the company.
Old 08-08-2023, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,446 Times in 2,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
I can't believe that punching someone in the head, because they might have hit his car, can in anyway be considered an accident. It was intentional, it was rage fueled, but it was not an accident & the resulting death which is tragic, is a direct result of that intentional attack.
So you believe the guy who threw the punch was thinking, "I'm going to kill that man?"

I believe he intended to hit him, hurt him, and embarrass him. I don't believe it even occurred to him that it might kill the man. The punch was intentional, the death was not.

Aren't there different charges for an intentional killing and an accidental one? If so, we'll see what he is charged and convicted of.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-08-2023, 08:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
How quickly we deviate from the topic at hand! But hilarious nevertheless.

We had dinner with a friend and his wife last night who are missionaries. They told a story about how they had taken a group of students to Marrakesh, Morocco. A local guy offered to trade his camel for one of the women in the group. I was tempted to ask how many camels is the going price for a woman in Marrakesh but thought the better of it considering the company.
Reminds me of the guy who joined the French Foreign Legion and was sent to the Sahara Desert. After a while, he asked his fellow soldiers what they did for "companionship". They told him there was a local down the road that had a camel he could use for $10. Initially, the man was disgusted but after a few months he relented and went to see the local and gave him $10 and then went to the barn and "engaged" with the camel, who promptly squealed. The owner came running back and screamed "WTF are you doing?". The soldier replied "I assume the usual, what do all the other soldiers do? The owner responded "They all take the camel, ride it into town and find a woman"
Old 08-08-2023, 08:30 AM
Veteran member

A lady on an airplane now known as TMINR went viral because it was kinda comical.

This story which is tragic is also comical because it wasn't his car and they caught him from a hole in one picture with the same clothes.

I think the media has just become numb to the more glaring violence in inner cities and almost has normalized it.

We all know this isn't an everyday occurrence but TV is not shielded from negative publicity.
Old 08-08-2023, 08:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Reminds me of the guy who joined the French Foreign Legion and was sent to the Sahara Desert. After a while, he asked his fellow soldiers what they did for "companionship". They told him there was a local down the road that had a camel he could use for $10. Initially, the man was disgusted but after a few months he relented and went to see the local and gave him $10 and then went to the barn and "engaged" with the camel, who promptly squealed. The owner came running back and screamed "WTF are you doing?". The soldier replied "I assume the usual, what do all the other soldiers do? The owner responded "They all take the camel, ride it into town and find a woman"
Heh.

Punchlining:

"Ten bucks, same as in town".
Old 08-08-2023, 08:46 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,416 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
So you believe the guy who threw the punch was thinking, "I'm going to kill that man?"

I believe he intended to hit him, hurt him, and embarrass him. I don't believe it even occurred to him that it might kill the man. The punch was intentional, the death was not.

Aren't there different charges for an intentional killing and an accidental one? If so, we'll see what he is charged and convicted of.
Drunk drivers don't have the intent to kill someone either but they chose to drive drunk just as he chose to punch the old man. Both deserve at least involuntary manslaughter with prison time. Glad it's making the national news so this piece of Cr_ _ doesn't get a slap on the hand.
Old 08-08-2023, 09:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,714 Times in 978 Posts

IMO, much of the world "outside the bubble" has a certain perception of what "old" people should do, and how they should behave. This view usually consists of us sitting around a nursing home, waiting to be spoon fed some baby food because we can't chew our food anymore.
Maybe the more fit among us could play a little shuffleboard or some cards.

The dichotomy between that perception and the reality that exists here, which includes old people still doing things like having sex (and not always with one's spouse, GASP!!!), smoking pot, being politically animated, fighting, even, sadly, with disastrous consequences, creates a morbid fascination with us.

Were the involved parties of the Glenview Parking Lot killing in their 30s, and the location was a parking lot in Brooklyn (unless perhaps it was a hate crime), we'd have heard nothing about it. However since such behavior aberrates so wildly from what the pre-conceived notions are of how old people behave, it becomes "interesting" in a sick way.

I guess the best we can do is accept the way it is, and be thankful that despite our outliers, we are not the way the world perceives we should be.
Old 08-08-2023, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
IMO, much of the world "outside the bubble" has a certain perception of what "old" people should do, and how they should behave. This view usually consists of us sitting around a nursing home, waiting to be spoon fed some baby food because we can't chew our food anymore.
Maybe the more fit among us could play a little shuffleboard or some cards.

The dichotomy between that perception and the reality that exists here, which includes old people still doing things like having sex (and not always with one's spouse, GASP!!!), smoking pot, being politically animated, fighting, even, sadly, with disastrous consequences, creates a morbid fascination with us.

Were the involved parties of the Glenview Parking Lot killing in their 30s, and the location was a parking lot in Brooklyn (unless perhaps it was a hate crime), we'd have heard nothing about it. However since such behavior aberrates so wildly from what the pre-conceived notions are of how old people behave, it becomes "interesting" in a sick way.

I guess the best we can do is accept the way it is, and be thankful that despite our outliers, we are not the way the world perceives we should be.
Nicely put. And now about those loofahs. Swingers swap upside-down pineapples for loofahs
Old 08-08-2023, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Well, TV is on the news not only nationally but internationally as well. The infamous Glenview Punch, thanks to the magic of instant worldwide communication, has made Twin Cities NewsTalk up in Minneapolis, as well as the Daily Mail in the UK. Probably other outlets as well. I don't know.

Throughout history, you cannot block progress. Not all progress is good.
Social media? It is a choice. Computers, the internet, you are forced to embrace that
monster. The PRICE, privacy is a thing of the past.
Old 08-08-2023, 09:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Throughout history, you cannot block progress. Not all progress is good.
Social media? It is a choice. Computers, the internet, you are forced to embrace that
monster. The PRICE, privacy is a thing of the past.
Great point. Mankind's knowledge has always outpaced his wisdom. IMO today we're seeing living proof of that in ways none of us have ever envisaged.
Closed Thread

Tags
news, travels, church, treats, necessities

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.