Conversion to Home owners associations

Closed Thread
Old 11-14-2007, 02:43 PM
beartrack1
Default Re: Conversion to Home owners associations

I would take this opportunity to thank all of "The Villagers" that have responded to my Query. I read many different opinions as to what will happen and when. You are exactly what I expected. A group of respectful, nice people, that I would love to have as friends and neighbors. It is refreshing to be able to debate a subject with concerned and caring folks that do not come to the table with an agenda all their own. That said however, I still do not know "exactly" what will happen at the Villages in 2011 or whenever the individual villages are turned over to the residents by the developer. It is my opinion that those questions can only be answered by the developers themselves.

As a person that is willing and able to make an investment in your community, I should be able to get those questions answered in a simple understandable way. What I mean is, we are not lawyers and the answers to my questions should be answered without all the legalese and without 25 pages of small print.

We would love to purchase and live in "The Villages" but, as a result of all the unanswered questions and so far, our inability to find the right vehicle to get those much needed answers, we are becoming apprehensive. I need to speak with a Representative of the "Powers that be" Can anyone tell where I can contact such a person or office etc. ?

Beartrack
Old 11-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Sage

Beartrack,

Have you totally perused the web site for the CDDs? Lots of info on how they operate both now and into the future. http://www.districtgov.org/ You can also try this link which has information of the difference between the two special CDD's and the residential CDD's. http://thevillagesfl.blogspot.com/

For research maybe you could look into other 55+ communites that have been turned over to the population. Remember, the 110,000 people that will live in TV have a vested interest in keeping up the community since they will need to resell or leave for their heirs to resell.

I think both you and Boomer should rent for a few months to see how you like it and do some digging while you are down here. You don't NEED to buy first if you are worried about buyer's remorse. That's what my wife and i plan on doing.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:14 PM
Veteran member

I sent an e-mail to the Sumter Landing Community Development District (CDD) Manager to see if he can clarify the "succession plan" for us.* Given that the CDD has most of the functions of an Home Owners Association (HOA) in the great majority of other communities, the CDD will continue to have the predominant role in these matters.

The CDD will always be with us, unlike the current owner/developer.* The CDD will provide management continuity and professionalism.** The interesting unknown is who the CDD's "Board of Directors" will become upon the "Succession of Ownership" plan that the current owner/developer will initiate.* What are the options out there?* The existing Villages Property Owners' Association (POA) Board of Directors?* What/who else?

I agree it is in the CDDs and the owner family's best interest to effecitively communicate with both existing and prospective residents about any plan of succession.* Great communications will dispel rumor, fears, and will instill confidence in decisions many of us are about to make.

I cannot imagine the well-oiled and well-appreciated machine that is running things now will suddenly devolve into rampant antipathies and gross inefficiencies.* Not in the lifetime of my children.

I am familiar enough with the manner CDDs in Florida are authorized and managed to have a high level of confidence in the operation of The Villages CDDs into the future.* This will not be a concern I have in my decision-making process for purchase in TV.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 11-14-2007, 05:24 PM

This issue is very important to all, mostly people like us who are thinking of buying in TV. Those members posting messages will do a big favor to everyone if they would not use ABREVIATIONS which are foreign to those not in the loop. Thank you.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:53 PM

The way I understand the situation is this. The developer has sold and will continue to sell all of the amenities. This includes golf courses, rec centers pools etc. Your monthly fees end up in the hands of the new owners who purchased these in groups. When the developer is finished and a HOA is formed regardless of who gets elected the homeowners will be responsible for many other items. Everywhere else that has an HMO the elected officials determine the monthly fee each year. Most of these people have no idea what’s going on and there is a huge turnover but the monthly fees seem to go up every year.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:17 PM

It is not in anyone's best interest to let things fall apart in the Villages because of weak management. I really believe everyone would feel that way.

To be honest I feel that there are a lot of people here in the Villages who tell things the way they see them is a good thing for all the Villages. I feel the purpose of the Villages is to maintain a wonderful quality of life for everyone that is what brought us all here. I just can't imagine someones individual interest will serve the Villages well in general.

I believe that the biggest success about the Villages is the mantra that the owners use in development of the Community. Refer to rule number 1 is it in the best interest of the Villages. If we are able to maintain that then things will be able to be maintained as a beautiful community that will draw folks for years to come.

The thing about the Villages is we are all in this together (we are the stake holders) and I believe it is all about the betterment of the community as a whole not one persons self interest. Some how I think we will make it going into the future.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Veteran member

It may be in the best interest of TV for everyone to be on the same page and to work together when all this change-over occurs aprox. 2011. But I can almost guarantee that won't be the case.

Take our situation for instance. I live in a comunity that has a HOA. It is a boating community and always has been. The latest by-laws hasn't passed in almost a year. The problem is where an individuals' boat is to be kept in the off-season. The by-laws are being held hostage by non-voters until they get what they want! The last meeting became VERY heated and nothing again was resolved.

Think this sort of thing won't happen in TV--think again
Village of Hemmingway
Old 01-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

As was said above this thread could get interesting.....as it should. But hopefully without chasing too many "just rumors". If you read the closing papers there is nothing you have or haven't heard yet that isn't in them in some form.
I just had to sign in again when I saw this "opportunity".
No matter what it is called or what form it takes, the residents, like it or not will eventually become owners in some fashion once the developer bows out.
Some may view it as a negative that you will have some say in how things are to be organized/done/etc.
But once again herein lies the big challenge. If history and statistics bear out the future, then the SILENT MAJORITY will be the worst enemy of either keeping it the way you like it or making sure what the MAJORITY do not want takes precedent.
The silent majority today does nothing about what causes for the direction of our country to use a good or bad example.

I personally do not think a person should be concerned about the transition away from the developer. There are few (if any) who remain after a development is completed. Most responsible developers (and I do consider TV to be responsible) provide for appropriate future fundings and transitions.

Another comment, from experience, when things go badly in some of the post transition periods it is usually because the "new regime" who ever or what ever, strays from the strategy and plan the developer has in place (that we all bought into by the way).

It will work fine. It will stay fine as long as the SILENT MAJORITY gets up and participates in being vocal to their representatives in the new organization.

Anyway as you may glean from my postings, the SILENT MAJORITY is and has been a problem for me my whole life. I totally subscribe to standing up and being counted for what I believe. I have a philosophy that if one does not participate they have no licence to criticize...raise Cane....complain or %*^%&(&%$.

How about a rumor or two? The Villages becomes it's own City? I know 3 counties....so make it a tri city something or other.

There's my $4.63 (two cents adjusted for the high cost of rumor control and gas).

BTK :bigthumbsup:
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.