Coronavirus

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-18-2020, 07:57 AM
PennBF PennBF is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,998
Thanks: 0
Thanked 568 Times in 162 Posts
Thumbs down Coronavirus

I have heard a number of times from the "Officials", etc that the Coronavirus has been around a long time and this is a different variation of the Virus. My question is if that is the case why hadn't the CDC, various US Medical groups, etc etc not addressed the possibility this variation and left the US/World on the edge of this horrible condition for the world. The same people who ignored this possibility are now leading the way to deal with it? We have been investing "billions" in addressing the medical issues associated with the current and FUTURE risks to the citizens and this is the answer to our feeling of confidence in the medical protection we have been buying! I have heard there are obstacles to solving the problems and they are being removed! Why were they there in the first place?? I don't know how it started, I don't know who was/is responsible but a good house cleaning appears to be appropriate?
  #2  
Old 03-18-2020, 08:16 AM
golfing eagles's Avatar
golfing eagles golfing eagles is online now
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: East Meadow NY, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Auburn NY, Lake Deaton
Posts: 7,225
Thanks: 187
Thanked 4,435 Times in 1,335 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
I have heard a number of times from the "Officials", etc that the Coronavirus has been around a long time and this is a different variation of the Virus. My question is if that is the case why hadn't the CDC, various US Medical groups, etc etc not addressed the possibility this variation and left the US/World on the edge of this horrible condition for the world. The same people who ignored this possibility are now leading the way to deal with it? We have been investing "billions" in addressing the medical issues associated with the current and FUTURE risks to the citizens and this is the answer to our feeling of confidence in the medical protection we have been buying! I have heard there are obstacles to solving the problems and they are being removed! Why were they there in the first place?? I don't know how it started, I don't know who was/is responsible but a good house cleaning appears to be appropriate?
Each "variation" is unique a "novel" virus if you prefer. So how would you suggest that it was "addressed"?
  #3  
Old 03-18-2020, 08:21 AM
karostay's Avatar
karostay karostay is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Conn/Maine /
Posts: 2,696
Thanks: 106
Thanked 1,254 Times in 475 Posts
Default

Turn off the internet Panic and Hysteria will go away..
Get the politicians off the air fears will subside
__________________
Don't take life Too Serious ..It isn't permanent

Last edited by karostay; 03-18-2020 at 10:23 AM.
  #4  
Old 03-18-2020, 08:51 AM
TooColdNJ TooColdNJ is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 104
Thanks: 24
Thanked 89 Times in 54 Posts
Arrow The Grouchy are Getting Grouchier... is TV friendliness at an all time low?

It appears that the grouchy are getting grouchier. Moving into a left lane to turn into a business, admittedly at the last minute with blinker and hand signal, a car at least one car length behind me accelerated then leaned on their horn. A seemingly entitled golf cart driver yelled something rude out at me as if I had done something wrong by making A right turn out of a parking lot. Their turn was a very sharp left into the same very close to my car. I accidentally bumped into someone in Publix and apologized profusely. His reaction was as if I assaulted him. Was talking to the pharmacist in the private consultation window in Walgreens, and someone was waiting standing only a foot away from me. When I apologized (which I didn’t have to do) for taking so much time, the guy was rude and obnoxious and told me to quit complaining (to the pharmacist). I then asked him to step back a bit for privacy reasons. He never moved. I can go on. These things happen, virus or no virus, but it seems that more people are easily agitated as of late. The irritability that comes along with some people’s’ nervousness about this situation will only make things worse. I get it... people are fearful... but it’s now taken out on others. It’s not the majority, but enough to affect those who have no control of this situation but are trying to stay calm. I find the memes and jokes on social media to be comforting- we need to keep our sense of humor and kindness towards others to get through this! The hell with toilet paper... these are my rations! Attachment 83229

Last edited by TooColdNJ; 03-18-2020 at 11:53 AM.
  #5  
Old 03-18-2020, 09:08 AM
billethkid's Avatar
billethkid billethkid is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 17,546
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3,200 Times in 905 Posts
Default

Maybe not a cure but the media and all other forms of communication are dedicated to the sensationalism side of the virus' impact. And justified in most instances.
What is not being done, is highlighting the not so bleak or positive things that are happening.....daily.

I continue to want to know more from and about the survivors....the second biggest number on the tracking sites.
Yesterday afternoon on one of the Fox programs they interviewed a survivor. A very positive result. Very uplifting. Why are we not seeing more.

Or how about Jack Ma, Chinese billionaire, to donate 500,000 tests kits and one million masks to the US.

Not to take the edge off the threat. But to provide at least some visibility of news other than yes the sky is falling and this is just the beginning.

One could almost conclude there is either one, no good news or two, there is reason to keep everybody on edge and afraid.
__________________
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it"...Mark Twain
  #6  
Old 03-18-2020, 11:16 AM
KeithDB KeithDB is offline
Member
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Village of McClure
Posts: 36
Thanks: 1
Thanked 22 Times in 9 Posts
Default

98 new cases in Florida today, including the first in Sumter County.

"It's well under control." Or so I have heard.
  #7  
Old 03-18-2020, 11:18 AM
golfing eagles's Avatar
golfing eagles golfing eagles is online now
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: East Meadow NY, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Auburn NY, Lake Deaton
Posts: 7,225
Thanks: 187
Thanked 4,435 Times in 1,335 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithDB View Post
98 new cases in Florida today, including the first in Sumter County.

"It's well under control." Or so I have heard.
Hmmmmm. ONE case is NOT under control?

Let's hope it doesn't TRULY get out of control
  #8  
Old 03-18-2020, 11:37 AM
KeithDB KeithDB is offline
Member
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Village of McClure
Posts: 36
Thanks: 1
Thanked 22 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Hmmmmm. ONE case is NOT under control?

Let's hope it doesn't TRULY get out of control
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithDB View Post
98 new cases in Florida today, including the first in Sumter County.

"It's well under control." Or so I have heard.
This is just the United States, by the way, where the total number of cases nearly doubled yesterday.

The Villages Florida

For those who want to persist with the ridiculous comparisons of the end of an 18 month H1N1 episode to the first month of our experience with coronavirus.

The Villages Florida

That right hand graph is a stark statement as to how much more deadly the Coronavirus is than H1N1 was.

I added the most recent two days to this chart, showing that the United States is accelerating ahead of the pace for Italy, which resulted in a complete lock down of that nation.

The Villages Florida

I think it is out of control and I believe testing in Florida remains suppressed and this is deflating the figures here.
  #9  
Old 03-18-2020, 11:45 AM
PennBF PennBF is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,998
Thanks: 0
Thanked 568 Times in 162 Posts
Thumbs down I knew

I knew when I posted my opinion it would be blasted. As you would notice I don't make any critical remarks regarding those that are working to help those that have been stricken with the Virus. Also, nothing regarding those that are ill. My concern is "how did we get here" We don't have the support we need, e.g. masks. hand sanitizer, soft goods. ventilators, test equipment, bed facilities if needed, and of course a VACCINE. Billions have gone with the understanding it was to protect us from medical threats. It is not as though they have failed a couple of the targets but rather ALL. Go ahead and justify why we are where we are. I am not just ready to white wash the failures of these "government group/CDC's, etc etc". They failed and should be held accountable.
  #10  
Old 03-18-2020, 12:09 PM
golfing eagles's Avatar
golfing eagles golfing eagles is online now
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: East Meadow NY, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Auburn NY, Lake Deaton
Posts: 7,225
Thanks: 187
Thanked 4,435 Times in 1,335 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithDB View Post
This is just the United States, by the way, where the total number of cases nearly doubled yesterday.

The Villages Florida

For those who want to persist with the ridiculous comparisons of the end of an 18 month H1N1 episode to the first month of our experience with coronavirus.

The Villages Florida

That right hand graph is a stark statement as to how much more deadly the Coronavirus is than H1N1 was.

I added the most recent two days to this chart, showing that the United States is accelerating ahead of the pace for Italy, which resulted in a complete lock down of that nation.

The Villages Florida

I think it is out of control and I believe testing in Florida remains suppressed and this is deflating the figures here.
Well, stay tuned because if your opinion is that it is already "out of control", you're going to shudder at the numbers that will come out this week. They curve is going to a precipitous spike since they have now changed testing methodology to allow throughput of thousands of tests/day rather than dozens. Thousands of samples collected but not processed will be run this coming week, so I expect a large increase in the number of cases reported
  #11  
Old 03-18-2020, 12:21 PM
KeithDB KeithDB is offline
Member
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Village of McClure
Posts: 36
Thanks: 1
Thanked 22 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
I knew when I posted my opinion it would be blasted. As you would notice I don't make any critical remarks regarding those that are working to help those that have been stricken with the Virus. Also, nothing regarding those that are ill. My concern is "how did we get here" We don't have the support we need, e.g. masks. hand sanitizer, soft goods. ventilators, test equipment, bed facilities if needed, and of course a VACCINE. Billions have gone with the understanding it was to protect us from medical threats. It is not as though they have failed a couple of the targets but rather ALL. Go ahead and justify why we are where we are. I am not just ready to white wash the failures of these "government group/CDC's, etc etc". They failed and should be held accountable.
As near as I can from my experience here I cannot attempt an honest effort to answer your question without the post being deemed "politics" and deleted for that reason. I apologize.
  #12  
Old 03-18-2020, 12:54 PM
coffeebean coffeebean is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Village of Mallory Square
Posts: 4,763
Thanks: 306
Thanked 2,706 Times in 1,161 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooColdNJ View Post
...........Was talking to the pharmacist in the private consultation window in Walgreens, and someone was waiting standing only a foot away from me. When I apologized (which I didn’t have to do) for taking so much time, the guy was rude and obnoxious and told me to quit complaining (to the pharmacist). I then asked him to step back a bit for privacy reasons. He never moved. Attachment 83229
Privacy reasons? How about privacy reasons AND social distancing. He never moved? I would have insisted on speaking to a manager immediately about that idiot. You can not fix stupid!!!!!
__________________
coffeebean
I've had both vaccine shots!
  #13  
Old 03-18-2020, 01:03 PM
B767drvr B767drvr is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 599
Thanks: 189
Thanked 241 Times in 58 Posts
Default

EXCELLENT data KeithDB. Thanks for posting. Hopefully everyone will understand the graphs and their implications.
  #14  
Old 03-18-2020, 05:12 PM
PennBF PennBF is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,998
Thanks: 0
Thanked 568 Times in 162 Posts
Thumbs down Witness

We are a witness as to how selfish some people can be. In riding around in our cart we witnessed a huge crowd at the bars in Sumter Landing, Card games outside of the Rec Centers because they were locked out, people shaking hands and hugging, etc. They have no concern as to the risk they will carry the virus to someone even if they get a mild case. What selfish acts to feed some addiction they may have to drink, play game, need of closeness, etc. Allegedly this is the kind of behavior that fed the spread in Italy? Other than a short cart ride without contact to others we have remained in the home out of respect for those that are at high risk. There is no question this is a very serious virus and particularly to people over 65 and HELLO we are a community of over 65 who travel a lot!
  #15  
Old 03-18-2020, 06:59 PM
OrangeBlossomBaby OrangeBlossomBaby is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,654
Thanks: 3,478
Thanked 4,670 Times in 1,438 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
We are a witness as to how selfish some people can be. In riding around in our cart we witnessed a huge crowd at the bars in Sumter Landing, Card games outside of the Rec Centers because they were locked out, people shaking hands and hugging, etc. They have no concern as to the risk they will carry the virus to someone even if they get a mild case. What selfish acts to feed some addiction they may have to drink, play game, need of closeness, etc. Allegedly this is the kind of behavior that fed the spread in Italy? Other than a short cart ride without contact to others we have remained in the home out of respect for those that are at high risk. There is no question this is a very serious virus and particularly to people over 65 and HELLO we are a community of over 65 who travel a lot!
They're not selfish. They're ignorant. They've been spoonfed "it's a hoax" and other assorted "faux news" (pun intended) and absorb it through osmosis into their cells. They are absolutely convinced that this is not a big deal, everyone is making way too much of a fuss, and if the media would simply stop reporting it, everything would be just fine again.
Closed Thread

Tags
medical, coronavirus, possibility, heard, variation

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 AM.