Covenants/Restrictions

Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Veteran member
Default Covenants/Restrictions

We have friends who moved to Duval last October. We visited a few months ago; they have a very nice Lantana.

She put out a very small cement statue near her front stairs. Not a cheap plastic but a nicely made statue (a little girl holding a flower pot). She received a notice with a page from the covenants circling the restriction on yard art of any type. She never took the statue away and has received three notices each stronger than the prior one.

I certainly don't want to live with such rigid restrictions. I can understand covenants because we have them where we live now but I feel it's a bit extreme to demand a homeowner take away tasteful yard art. We are moving to TV next month (renting) and will be on a hunt for a new home. Can you all tell me which Villages have the more stringent restrictions?
Old 04-27-2008, 06:29 PM
Sage
Default Re: Covenants/Restrictions

South of 466 the covenants do not permit lawn ornaments in the front...back is ok. Anything in the front has to be under the porch or gutter overhang. If the statue was under the gutters along the entry wall, it should be ok. Out in the middle of the front yard is a violation.

Covenants north of 466 do allow more personal things in the front yard.

All new building is South of 466.

I can understand your concerns, however, as I look out my front window at my beautiful neighborhood I am thankful for the restrictions.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,924 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Nanci.

Although your friends statue was in good taste and there was only one, rules have to start somewhere. I personally would rather have none than one of those fat bend over lady statues across the way. THAT is my taste and up until now, no one has said I have good taste accept for when I picked out Sweetie.

Kindest wishes,

GracieGirl
Old 04-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Sage

Graciegirl you're too funny! Can't wait until you get here!

Nanci, I wrote you on what we did in Duval and haven't had a problem. But, now that 07 said that, we do not have anything but landscaping bordering trees on the frontlawn. The floor hanging plant holder is on the porch. The backyard's another story.

As I think of it, down the block from us, some neighbors have beautiful landscaping and they used to that two Crain statues. Very expensive looking, just elegant in their landscaping. But, I don't see those out now, so maybe they were told to move them. :dontknow:
Old 04-27-2008, 07:02 PM

I too have never been accused of having great taste with the lone exception of choosing a spouse. But, we had to nix an otherwise lovely home in TV with just the things we were looking for because of the gawd-awful concrete statue display across the street from the house. It is OK because that is the deal in those neighborhoods but, it just wasn't our cup of tea.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:09 PM

It was mentioned that in the back was OK. Can we have a 'pot' garden in the back? To be more specific.....roses, tomates, peppers growing in pots....not the other kiind of pot.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Eternal Member

Covenants for south of 466 prohibit "lawn ornamentation" anywhere around a house, front yard, back yard, or side yard --- except under a roof. People often put random junk in the backyards and are not cited because its not seen by the kitsch kops or :edit:ed about by a neighbor. Restrictions do not apply to villa corrals.

Pots, whether filled or not, are allowed anywhere.

Best check with the Deed Compliance office with specific questions.

http://www.districtgov.org/vccdd/deedrestrict.asp
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 04-27-2008, 09:59 PM
Veteran member

We live in a community now with strict covenants about ornamentation, sheds, basketball hoops, etc. Our neighborhood is not overdone and the pots, benches, chairs are ornamental in either cement or iron. I don't think I've ever seen plastic anything. I am totally in agreement about tacky yard art and there should be restrictions on that. I guess what I'm saying is I have a lovely birdbath that I plant flowers in and a pretty ornamental chair and bench that I want to take with me. And I agree, it has to start somewhere but most folks know the difference between tasteful and tacky! Don't they!

I guess I need to go with the flow! Somewhere along the lines there had to be pretty bad stuff on people's lawns for them to become so stringent!

I sure hope I'm ready for all this. My husband says I'll be good for "what did I do" (meaning moving) ten times a day when we get to TV next month!
Old 04-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Veteran member

To find out why the restrictions for homes on the southside of 466, just go over to Country Club Hills and the other Villages over there which were built many years ago without restrictions. Mostly the manufactured homes are the ones that have the lawn ornaments and unsightly "things" in front of their homes. A good drive through this area of statues of jockeys, fountains, lions, etc. will give you an idea of why restrictions.

Unfortunately, like most rules/regulations, the developer went too far and we can't do anything over here in Cherry Vale Villas, courtyard villas. I can't put anything in front of my villa. A friend had a tiny little gnome in with her lights on the ground by her garage door and was told to MOVE it.

We have to go to the architectural board for ANYTHING we do outside the house. Even in my back yard when I wanted to take down an ugly tree that the developer planted, if it had been more than 1 1/2 inches around, I would NOT get permission.

Such is life. All I can say is at least we have nice grass in front and back of our Villa. I have seen some of the new ones that have no grass and are being advertised as water and maintenance free....."green" decorative landscaping so to speak and I couldn't bear it. I like my grass.

Hope your friend does well and hope you will still decide that the lifestyle is far more important than what you can put in your front yard.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Veteran member

Forgot to tell you, we live in a CYV where we have a few more restrictions. We can only have a certain color garage door screen and we cannot paint or otherwise decorate or seal our driveways. :edit:
Old 04-28-2008, 02:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,924 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[quote=nanci2539 ]
We live in a community now with strict covenants about ornamentation, sheds, basketball hoops, etc. Our neighborhood is not overdone and the pots, benches, chairs are ornamental in either cement or iron. I don't think I've ever seen plastic anything. I am totally in agreement about tacky yard art and there should be restrictions on that. I guess what I'm saying is I have a lovely birdbath that I plant flowers in and a pretty ornamental chair and bench that I want to take with me. And I agree, it has to start somewhere but most folks know the difference between tasteful and tacky! Don't they?

As my sainted mother would say. "That is where you are wrong MaryJane."

She was confused. My name is Grace.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:19 AM

Personally, I prefer the silver looking balls and wooden cut-out animals elegantly painted. I can't see why you'd want birdbaths and benches. :joke:
Old 04-28-2008, 10:27 AM

We were going the back way from the pool at Hacienda Hills Country Club in our golf car. Not sure where we were but I think Santo Domingo. There was a house there with a full size cannon in the front yard. I am sure he thinks that if it is OK for a tasteful statue it is OK for his cannon.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Veteran member

I get it! Okay folks; point made. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:21 PM

If you wonder why there are restrictions you only need to drive down Atwell in Polo to find a home with more than 50 dog statues up the walk and around the circular driveway.
Good taste? Who's the judge? Again, common sense. I have to say restrictions are a good thing.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.