Trash in ponds

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2021, 12:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,007 Times in 385 Posts
Default Trash in ponds

Rain washes trash off the roads into the soakaway pond next to us. Being mainly plastic, the trash doesn't rot away but just sits there, building up and looking ugly.

I contacted VCDD a month ago, asking who was responsible for clearing up this trash and why has our pond not been attended to for over a year, but have yet to receive a reply.

Any suggestions as to who EXACTLY I should address my question - preferably an individual with an e-mail address rather than a generic department?

Thank you
Old 08-29-2021, 01:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,557 Times in 1,930 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Rain washes trash off the roads into the soakaway pond next to us. Being mainly plastic, the trash doesn't rot away but just sits there, building up and looking ugly.

I contacted VCDD a month ago, asking who was responsible for clearing up this trash and why has our pond not been attended to for over a year, but have yet to receive a reply.

Any suggestions as to who EXACTLY I should address my question - preferably an individual with an e-mail address rather than a generic department?

Thank you
You know, I would not really expect anyone to be responsible to clean up the ponds. If you lived on a big piece of property and it had a pond near a roadway, who would be responsible for the errant plastic and unbiodegradable things that got in it?

Sometimes we choose a lot of things when we choose an empty lot next to us or a beach front lot.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-29-2021 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-29-2021, 01:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,498 Times in 2,287 Posts

Quote:

Thank you
The Villages Property Management, 352-753-4022. That's who ended up getting the pond by our house cleaned up. Every time I've called, the phone has been answered by a real person.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 08-29-2021, 02:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,066 Times in 2,542 Posts

I’m kind of weird, if it was behind my back yard I’d just pick it up. If I’m out and see large piece Of trash I pick it up. About month ago two small trash bags was laying off MB that blew out Of truck close to cart path. I swerved over and picked them up. Was on my way to store so I stop by mulberry to put them in trash can. Low and behold somebody said you can dump you’re trash in there. I said it’s not my trash I picked it up along MB. It’s mulberry’s trash now.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 08-29-2021 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-29-2021, 02:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I’m kind of weird, if it was behind my back yard I’d just pick it up.
I did that when we moved in but the neighbor on the other side of the pond said I wasn't allowed in that area (it is fenced off). Plus it is very boggy and there are alligators nearby (and occasionally in it).

Someone at VCDD told me several years ago that it was the people who mow and strim inside the fence who should be removing the trash, but they are here and gone in five minutes so I doubt their schedule allows for anything "extra".

VCDD District Property Management lists a number of people so I am whizzing off a few e-mails to likely suspects
Old 08-29-2021, 03:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

As an aside, someone from VCDD was in our garden last summer looking at the preserve to judge how much cutting back they should do so I went out to ask him about the trash in the soakaway pond. He said there wasn't one there, so I took him round to show it to him and he was most surprised. Maybe that's the problem - the pond doesn't appear on the VCDD's maps!
Old 08-29-2021, 03:10 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:

Thank you
Sounds like a good civic job for the neighborhood
Old 08-29-2021, 03:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
Sounds like a good civic job for the neighborhood
It's amazing how many copies of the monthly newspapers (in their plastic covers) get washed in there. They are light and the people throwing them can't reach the driveways, so they end up in the street gutters and rain/irrigation run-off sends them our way.
Old 08-29-2021, 03:46 PM
Gold member

Quote:
It's amazing how many copies of the monthly newspapers (in their plastic covers) get washed in there. They are light and the people throwing them can't reach the driveways, so they end up in the street gutters and rain/irrigation run-off sends them our way.
So maybe it's the Daily Suns problem try calling them it might resolve the issue
Old 08-29-2021, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,079 Times in 1,778 Posts

Quote:
So maybe it's the Daily Suns problem try calling them it might resolve the issue
Well that would be similar to calling up Starbucks to pick up one of their cups thrown beside the highway.
Old 08-29-2021, 04:36 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Well that would be similar to calling up Starbucks to pick up one of their cups thrown beside the highway.
The Daily Sun choose to distribute papers this way. Unfortunately, customers distributing their cups paper bags are slobs
Old 08-29-2021, 04:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,456 Times in 2,433 Posts

Quote:
Old 08-29-2021, 05:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
I did that when we moved in but the neighbor on the other side of the pond said I wasn't allowed in that area (it is fenced off). Plus it is very boggy and there are alligators nearby (and occasionally in it).

Someone at VCDD told me several years ago that it was the people who mow and strim inside the fence who should be removing the trash, but they are here and gone in five minutes so I doubt their schedule allows for anything "extra".

VCDD District Property Management lists a number of people so I am whizzing off a few e-mails to likely suspects

I’m still younger, but I probably wouldn’t in you’re predicament. IMO it probably in contract who ever mowing? Problem with most contracts IMO there not monitored properly? If that’s case?
Old 08-29-2021, 05:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post

Or Mickey’s DS, or liquor stores fireball whiskey bottles?
Old 08-30-2021, 04:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Thank you

We had some trash in our pond for a week and my wife finally went and picked it up. All good now.

Closed Thread

Tags
trash, address, pond, individual, department

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.